Racetronix Fuel Pump Install - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Racetronix Fuel Pump Install
Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:29 PM
Got myself a w-body fuel pump with the foam/rubber sleeve and wanted to get some tips/suggestions from you guys.
I didn't get any install instructions from them but from what I read on here:
1. Cut some of the end off the venturi line so it can for fit to the new brass nipple
2. Smash the $%^& out of the clamp that goes on the clear non kink tube (don't know its name, I'm guessing main fuel feed)

Few questions as usual,
1. Should I use the clamp they gave me, what kind of clamp is that? (pictured below) or get a worm style clamp
2. Should I get a small clamp for the venturi line (where to get one? it's damn small...my only guess is Ace)

BuiltNBoosted gave me good advice too (for future searches)
"Biggest tip I can give you is be very careful of the plastic lines on the top of the tank. Can snap the fittings they attach to easily. For the little lines on the pump you need to find tiny hose clamps. Make your tank as emotyvas you can as well. Pretty straight forward swap if you use the how to."

On to a couple pics

Re: Racetronix Fuel Pump Install
Thursday, May 16, 2013 10:37 PM
I used the little worm clamp.
my biggest piece of advice...TIGHTEN THE F*CK OUT OF THE WORM CLAMP ON THE VENTURI VALVE! (but don't snap the plastic)
lol...I had to remove my tank twice after install because it kept leaking from being loose

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, May 17, 2013 5:06 AM
Use the clamps they give you.

They clamp 360* of the hose vs a worm gear clamping say 300* of the hose. Being that the hose is hard plastic you need the clamping force all around.
Friday, May 17, 2013 5:44 AM
blu04DD wrote:I used the little worm clamp.
my biggest piece of advice...TIGHTEN THE F*CK OUT OF THE WORM CLAMP ON THE VENTURI VALVE! (but don't snap the plastic)
lol...I had to remove my tank twice after install because it kept leaking from being loose

That's what I want to avoid haha, only want to drop it once. Isn't the venturi valve the small brass fitting? Or do you mean the line for it is plastic.

What do you use to tighten the clamps they give you? I'm thinking those cut off pliers that look like a mouth as long as they wont cut the metal

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:53 AM
So they're one ear clamps and use end pliers/nips to tighten them, should be easy peasy

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:56 AM
Yeah definitely use the supplied clamps. There is a special tool to tighten them but I cheated and used a pair of dull dikes(wire cutters). Just make sure that you get them TIGHT. I've been good for 6 months and thousands of miles like that.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, May 17, 2013 6:21 AM
yes..whatever that one is that came with it, i used. i used some pinch pliers that pinched those ends together really tight. I did it while it was in the assembly because at first i didnt tighten it enough, this made it difficult to get the pliers in.
be sure to clamp it good and tight OUT of the pump assembly (before its dropped into the plastic assembly)

i dont see the harness in that pictures...IMO it would be a good idea to optmize the pumps capabilities by having that harness installed while youre at it. cheap investment at $50 or whatever it was to ensure proper utilization of the pump. just my .02 though (and the harness is 100% plug n play, one end in the fuel pump assembly ontop of the tank where your stock plug goes, the other end runs to your battery/alternator. thats it).

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:31 AM
page 17 of my build on ecotecforum shows my install of the racetronix and my 'woes' with the venturi valve/clamp

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:05 PM
Curious so is the clear kinked tube that comes attached to the pump the venturi line?
What's the really small hose (that will attach to the brass nipple on the pump) called? And this is just for extra fuel support on hard acceleration correct. I'm assuming that one needs a clamp too so I'll have to get one, they only gave me two of the bigger one ear clamps.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:16 PM
The small line that goes over the brass nipple is the venturi... its what supplies the cup with fuel under high load.

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:19 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:55 PM
Well @!#$, had I known you were doing a racetronix pump I'd have swung by. Rare5spd stopped by my house the other day said you were replacing the pump, but It didn't even cross my mind to ask if it was a stocker or racetronix. I still have extra clamps, and install instructions they give you. I'm In Downers Grove by the way if you ever need a hand or have a question I'm only minutes away.

Monday, May 20, 2013 8:16 PM
Sounds good thanks man, got it installed today after i got the clamps from mcmaster carr and everything seems good. Tank going back in was much easier than coming out which was nice. Seems to start quick with a second or two prime which is also nice

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:58 PM
Some photos of the foam sleeve for future interest, fits in very snug

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:34 PM
Hey man..

Couple questions..

What filter did you get....the square one?

Also what foam sleeve?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search