LSJ vs L61 head PICTURES - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LSJ vs L61 head PICTURES
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:52 PM
Skwirl FTW!!!!!

It's oh so cheesey!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:58 PM
what I mean is, is block it off to the intake. and run it to a catch can. it looks like your making provisoins to run it back into the intake track. and I can assure you that wont be fun for your engine.

and can you explain the timingin assembly your going to be using? chain, gears, cams,...etc

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:15 PM
Jcavi wrote:what I mean is, is block it off to the intake. and run it to a catch can. it looks like your making provisoins to run it back into the intake track. and I can assure you that wont be fun for your engine.

I'm still coming up with ideas

Quote:

and can you explain the timingin assembly your going to be using? chain, gears, cams,...etc

I'm not sure why everyone keeps bringing this up.. I noticed no difference in either valvetrain.. other than the fact that the L61 has one short cam and the LSJ has 2 long cams.

I didn't notice a different length in the chains either, but you can bet I'm investigating now

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:28 AM
keep us updated skwirl. i will be probably joining the eco side next spring.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:49 PM
if you dont mind could you tell me if there are the same number of links between the three colored links on the chain?

btw you do realise that with that head instead of blocking off the cam drive you can use that to run a cam sensor and get real crazy with your injection settings

(assuming you switch to stand alone for boost and get away from hpt)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:05 PM
Jcavi wrote:if you dont mind could you tell me if there are the same number of links between the three colored links on the chain?

btw you do realise that with that head instead of blocking off the cam drive you can use that to run a cam sensor and get real crazy with your injection settings

smart man

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:10 PM
Jcavi wrote:if you dont mind could you tell me if there are the same number of links between the three colored links on the chain?

the valvetrain is going to get a complete run down as far as comparing the chains, length, distance between markers, and the gears themselves.

the cam sensor doesn't fit on the head.. I believe someone said something about the brake booster being in the way?

we shall see...

Friday, November 16, 2007 2:39 AM
psh, who needs power brakes anyway? its not like you use 'em!

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, November 16, 2007 4:12 PM
suncavi did it he had to shave down the master........ shave down the master.......nice

but it works. Im pretty sure suncavi's the only one who has it working, and he doesnt really post up to much info. you should go for it.

Monday, December 13, 2010 7:27 PM
Bump, I was looking for this for a while and couldn't find it. Luckly PJ was a nice guy and lead me in the right direction, thanks PJ!

This should be a STICKY!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:52 AM
Jcavi wrote:suncavi did it he had to shave down the master........ shave down the master.......nice

..............lol

Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:29 PM
So if i have and LSJ intake going on a L61 head..what would i need to do because of the pcv ?
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:16 AM
^ are you talking about the intake MANIFOLD? because that bolts right up without issue with the boosted setup. I did the M62 swap from an 06 LSJ onto my 04 Cavalier w/out modification as many here have.

my question is (since this thread has good information though its quite old) can I swap the valve assembly (springs, valves, rocker arms, etc).

are there areny follow ups to this or another thread where it continues?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:30 PM
frank d wrote:So if i have and LSJ intake going on a L61 head..what would i need to do because of the pcv ?

blu04DD wrote:^ are you talking about the intake MANIFOLD? because that bolts right up without issue with the boosted setup. I did the M62 swap from an 06 LSJ onto my 04 Cavalier w/out modification as many here have.

Actually, you do need to modify the gasket on the LSJ intake mani for proper PCV function. The PCV port and check valve are moved slightly over from the L61's, so you need to slot the gasket to bridge the gap between the two. Without doing so, you'll be blocking off the PCV port in the L61 head.

blu04DD wrote:my question is (since this thread has good information though its quite old) can I swap the valve assembly (springs, valves, rocker arms, etc).

are there areny follow ups to this or another thread where it continues?

Yes you can swap the LSJ valves, springs, keepers, and lifters over...but why bother? They are the same between the two motors, except for the LSJ valves being sodium filled (they will withstand heat a little better, but nothing monumental). For you setup with an m62, the stock valve train will be just fine. If you're looking at maybe raising your rev limiter and are worried about the springs, throw in a set of Supertechs and call it a day.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 6:02 PM
I have more pictures to add and some explaining.

I'll post from my computer when I get home tonight.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 5:33 AM
^ good man, love,that you learn more, and then pass it on to the rest of us by picking up where you left off.
Your one of my Ecotec heroes PJ!

looking forward to all new info.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 8:22 AM
The part numbers from GM are all the same for a LSJ or an L61 or a LE5, in terms of lash adjusters/rocker arms/timing parts.

I'm running the lash adjusters from my LE5 as well as the rocker arms from that motor.

Supertech springs from my L61 with my L61 Comp cams and factory gears, keepers are from my LE5.

ACDelco updated tensioner from my L61.

LE5 timing chain and chain guides.

It's all the same @!#$, look up the GM P/N's and they are all the same, everything in interchangeable.

10-15k on the motor, a few hundred drag passes, everything is holding up fine.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:20 AM
Evil...thanks for the tips. So what youre saying is..i dont need to worry about anything on my setup except breaking rods..got it lol.. I wasnt sure if there would be any quick swaps from newer parts that would help ensure I dont break stuff.
what kind of RPM range are we talkin that the upgraded springs would be intended for? Ive wrapped mine up there a few times but try not too..just during a run you wanna squeeze as much pull out of each gear as possible and sometimes get carried away! lol

this is a great topic though, love the pics too!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:49 AM
7000 on stock springs.

Even then this is pushing your luck, the valvetrain assembly on the ecotec doesn't handle valve float well, as the only thing that holds the rocker in place is the spring pushing it up against the cam lobe. You get a bit of valve float, causes slack between the rocker and the cam, lobe comes around again and even if its the slightest off the force will cause your rocker to snap the tip off the lash adjuster.

I'm almost positive this is how and why people are snapping lash adjusters, myself included when I was on stock valvetrain, with once you upgrade your springs, you no longer have to worry about the valve train with the increased RPM, its the bottom end you should start worrying about.

My motor has been north of 7700rpm and my Supertech Springs hold up fine, surprisingly so has the bottom end LOL

Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:35 PM
Like Newt said, 7k on stock springs. My rev limit last season was 7k and it took the abuse no problem at all (and I saw redline ALOT). I'm probably raising my rev limit this year to get as much out of the bigger cams as I can, but I am running Supertechs. (though I'm not getting carried way since my bottom end is still bone stock). If you want piece of mind, swap the springs and done, it's a On your current set up, you're not gonna make enough power to really put things like rods and rings at risk..now if you pulley down much in combination with other things...then you hit that "iffy" area.

I'm also running a mix and match of stuff..I have the revised tensioner, and I'm running a timing chain and lash adjusters from an LE5.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:40 PM
newt wrote:7000 on stock springs.

Even then this is pushing your luck, the valvetrain assembly on the ecotec doesn't handle valve float well, as the only thing that holds the rocker in place is the spring pushing it up against the cam lobe. You get a bit of valve float, causes slack between the rocker and the cam, lobe comes around again and even if its the slightest off the force will cause your rocker to snap the tip off the lash adjuster.

I'm almost positive this is how and why people are snapping lash adjusters, myself included when I was on stock valvetrain, with once you upgrade your springs, you no longer have to worry about the valve train with the increased RPM, its the bottom end you should start worrying about.

My motor has been north of 7700rpm and my Supertech Springs hold up fine, surprisingly so has the bottom end LOL

100% agree, and I have also done this on an ecotec with "upgraded" patriot springs. A 15 valve engine is no fun to drive (my rocker was literally hanging out in the head just chilling).

anyways, on to new info (not really new, just... yea whatever. things that aren't in here)

PCV detail

L61 intake manifold bolts are 6mm. The LSJ head has 8mm holes....

Bolt detail. LSJ bolt on top, L61 bolt on bottom.

ok so just use the LSJ intake manifold bolts, no problem right?

LSJ bolts do not fit through the intake manifold (LE5 pictured here)

to solve this, I knocked the bronze bushings out and used special bolts I ordered from mcmaster.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3102/=hvrywz

bolt dimensions in case link breaks:
10mm shoulder dia.
20mm shoulder length
40mm overall legth
33mm under the bolt head
M8 x 1.25 thread pitch
13mm of thread

I also ran a drill bit through the PCV hole and tapped it for 1/4 NPT.

I then had to clearance the intake manifold to clear it

farther away view

then, I had to somehow seal up the PCV slot in the manifold.... I decided to modify the gasket by welding the tiny hole in the center shut with a MIG welder

the cam sensor boss does pass awful close to the brake master cylinder, which you can sometimes get away with bending the line, or making a new one. But you will also need to make a cover plate for the cam sensor boss.

far away view in the car with the special bolts:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:43 PM

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:03 PM
I did use the STOCK L61 exhaust manifold studs for INTAKE manifold studs to fit my aftermarket intake manifold. Not sure if that works for stock manifolds.

Also, Newt said that he is using an L61 coil pack and just has it as low as it can go but it works just fine....

Thursday, June 07, 2012 10:46 PM
I blocked my PCV off on my 2.4 manidold as well, but I just used a thin piece of metal (actually, an old Ecotec exhaust gasket) to close the hole.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, June 08, 2012 5:15 AM
Some of the LSJ supercharged guys are saying they block off the intake pcv hole....

Can you think of a reason why?

Do you have pics of how you blocked the oil port by the cam sensor?
Friday, June 08, 2012 7:14 AM
Philly D wrote:Some of the LSJ supercharged guys are saying they block off the intake pcv hole....

Can you think of a reason why?

Do you have pics of how you blocked the oil port by the cam sensor?

Maybe their PCV system is malfunctioning and pressurizing their crankcase???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search