Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 11 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:44 AM
Thanks Guys,

My first time with EFI. Did a bunch of research and chose the GM SD set up. Yes there are better options to be had, but require a bunch more $$. I did see some Youtube videos with pretty much a carbon copy of my motor and cam using the 7730 ECM / SD set up. . Start-up and idle seemed good to me but we all know posted videos are most likely best out of 10 taken........ I will find out and let you guys know...

Y3llowcav... What motor / cam your dad running in the Vette ? Where's he at with the tune ?....




Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:59 AM
Mikey G wrote:

Y3llowcav... What motor / cam your dad running in the Vette ? Where's he at with the tune ?....

He's not very far at all because he hasn't invested in a laptop battery that lasts more than a few minutes. There are a bunch of base tunes in the accell software to get it running so that's what he's being doing.

It's the stock 350 with pink rods and stock compression forged and Teflon coated pistons. It has a custom ground turbo cam of some sort but I don't have the specs off hand. Then it has a remote mount turbo setup with a stupid turbo that's way too small. Might be a GT35 or something dumb. He never asks people or researches before he just buys random @!#$ and expects it to work. /rant lol.

All that said it actually runs pretty good but it can be so much more.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:33 AM
Mikey G wrote:


Going to finalize with a sealed air filter box . . .




Do you have room to route incoming air from the vents in the bumper next to the fog lights to the box you're going to make?

And btw, fan@!#$tastic work as always





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:00 AM
Y3llowCav wrote:

Mikey G wrote:

Y3llowcav... What motor / cam your dad running in the Vette ? Where's he at with the tune ?....

He's not very far at all because he hasn't invested in a laptop battery that lasts more than a few minutes. There are a bunch of base tunes in the accell software to get it running so that's what he's being doing.

It's the stock 350 with pink rods and stock compression forged and Teflon coated pistons. It has a custom ground turbo cam of some sort but I don't have the specs off hand. Then it has a remote mount turbo setup with a stupid turbo that's way too small. Might be a GT35 or something dumb. He never asks people or researches before he just buys random @!#$ and expects it to work. /rant lol.

All that said it actually runs pretty good but it can be so much more.


There 's quite a bit of people doing just that. Buying items because of the price without any research, and expecting amazing results. LOL on the battery thing.... Well I hope things work out and get tuned so he can at least enjoy his ride.





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:13 AM
Tony Ellis wrote:

Mikey G wrote:


Going to finalize with a sealed air filter box . . .



Do you have room to route incoming air from the vents in the bumper next to the fog lights to the box you're going to make?

And btw, fan@!#$tastic work as always


I honestly tried to get a "RAM" effect and go through the fog light area. I purchased a over the top TPI air intake system for a Camaro in hopes I could get it to work. Way too much surgery and would probably never look good.. Through the Cavy's original air intake hole behind the W/washer neck is passage to the bumper, but would have to reduce the diameter of the CAI tube. Many welded aluminum elbows too ($$$$). There was also consideration for the future plans on an inter cooled twin turbo. - After the IRS .

Mikey G





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:49 AM
Mikey G wrote:

LOL on the battery thing.... Well I hope things work out and get tuned so he can at least enjoy his ride.

Classic him. Custom ground cam and forged pistons? no problem. 50 bucks for a laptop battery? THATS OUTRAGEOUS!!

I'll post some pics of it up later when I get home.



"In Oldskool we trust"
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, February 04, 2015 8:01 AM
OMG! I love it! My only question is, now that you have this beauty set up for RWD, would you ever try making a 4wd cav? From my knowledge, it looks like all you'd need is a front diff and a transfer box.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, February 04, 2015 5:36 PM
Thanks Alex,
Not sure if the AWD effort would be worth it. I did look into this. I measured up using S-10 components. There just isn't enough room up front for a V8 on top of the diff and CV axles and get it all under the front hood. Maybe a V6 pushed back a bit further. Then the diff can be located just in front of the motor. Not sure the added weight (200+ lbs), and power loss of the AWD would make this a better ride - for what I do with the car.
Now, that being said, if someone was to approach me with this request and a large bag of money.... I'm in.

Mikey G



Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:37 PM
Hi All,
Completed the Cold Air Intake box for the air filter. I was able to get the new TPI set-up wired up and did a start-up. Little rough as the distributor was not spot on. Set the initial after it was hot. Idles pretty good. Seems smother than the carb set-up I had. Now if this cold weather and snow would just go away, I could get in a road trip in and start with some data logging for my tuner.








Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Friday, February 27, 2015 7:51 AM
Looks great, nice job.

Are you logging with HPT?





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Friday, February 27, 2015 8:24 AM

No, currently using TunerPro RT. So Far so good - plenty of support.

I am looking ahead to upgrading to DIS and LS programming. Keep you guys posted.




Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Saturday, February 28, 2015 8:12 AM
oh my. LOVE that air box! i have always wanted to do something like that for mine...



RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, March 05, 2015 2:51 AM
Just a quick video of the engine idling
Common spring - you can do it....





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, March 05, 2015 5:31 AM
This was very pleasant to stumble across.

Awesome work!



Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, March 05, 2015 6:36 AM
That thing wants to go go go ! ! !

I really like the new strut tower bar you made to wrap around the TPI - that is slick man.





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, March 05, 2015 7:10 AM
96S1 wrote:

I really like the new strut tower bar you made to wrap around the TPI - that is slick man.
X2. Very nice.





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, March 05, 2015 11:50 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:

96S1 wrote:

I really like the new strut tower bar you made to wrap around the TPI - that is slick man.
X2. Very nice.
Agreed.




Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:19 AM
Is that an L98? Looks like a LT1 throttlebody. Awesome work.


<img src="http://www.netavalanche.com/tgp/images/avatars/gallery/Various/bigredmachine.gif">
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:15 PM
Thanks for all the great comments,

1trucavalier wrote:

Is that an L98? Looks like a LT1 throttlebody. Awesome work.


Yes the engine is an L89. Throttle body is a 58mm aftermarket. I retrofitted the stock GM TPI plate on top to try and maintain the stock look. Snow is slowly melting away. Good for a road test soon and some data logging for my tuner..

Keep you guys posted

Mikey G



Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Sunday, April 12, 2015 10:25 PM
After reading through all this i couldn't stop thinking how much some toyo tail lights would look so good especially because of the way you have your front turn signals
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Monday, April 13, 2015 4:36 AM
Jesus Soto wrote:

After reading through all this i couldn't stop thinking how much some toyo tail lights would look so good especially because of the way you have your front turn signals


I have been looking on and off for a pair in restorable shape. If someone has a pair - let me know....

Cheers




Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Monday, July 06, 2015 4:20 PM
Hello All,

Had the Cavy out here and there doing data logging for my Tuner. Car is running pretty strong. Just the low speed cruse and idle may need a little more work. Fuel injection is soooo cool. The stock 10 bolt rear end I used is not liking all this testing. The pinion bearing is starting to whine and I believe it will let go before I can get around to the IRS this winter. I've ordered an overhaul kit and decided to change the 3:42 gears to 3:73. Hopefully this will last and get me some more traction.

Hope all of you are doing well

Cheers

Mikey G



Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:50 AM
Hello All,

Just a quick update. Instead of repairing the 10 bolt. I decided to move forward with my IRS upgrade. I mapped out and ordered most the major commercial parts I need for the IRS and plan on getting this project done this winter. I have a picked up a Ford 8.8 31 spline posi with 3.73 gearing. This will be cut down considerably and refurbished. You can see the custom stub axles in the attached photo. I have yet to fab the supports for the diff in the car and linkages. I expect to get started over the holidays.

Cheers.





Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, November 25, 2015 6:08 AM
SWEET! Cant wait for the work to begin.


Chris
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:36 AM
good to see it is getting further along!



Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search