best motor combination? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best motor combination?
Monday, June 24, 2013 8:14 PM
We are trying to put a motor together for circle track racing however our rules say we must remain stock. we have a 2001 chevy cavalier with the stock 2200 motor and have quickly came to realize (after two races) we need more motor. we don't want to really break the rules just push them to the limits. does anyone have any input on what parts to use from different years to build a the best motor possible? ive herd of people running he 97 heads on the 98+ blocks and it raises the compression to 13:1. I will use the search button I was just wondering if anyone wanted to put their input on here too. also we can run a cold air intake but a lot of people are running them out the headlight hole. how much will they actually help? we talked with a guy and he said he didn't notice any change but cooler air temps have to change something right? thanks

Re: best motor combination?
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:33 PM
where are you running? what size track and is it dirt or ashphault
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:48 PM
I feel like it's not cheating when you're at an obvious disadvantage. Plus, it's racing man if you're not cheating you're not winning Shoot, I used to run nitro in my go-kart oil because they always checked just the fuel for nitro but I knew the thing would burn some oil running so hard.

Anyway, in my opinion one of the best things you can do, whether you decide to swap heads or not, is find someone with HP Tuners to give you a better tune. I'm sure there's no way to detect that through tech and I'm double sure that at least some of the other guys are doing it. As for the intake stuff, I don't really see it making a big enough difference to warrant the effort/money and the loss in throttle response.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:01 PM
alright sorry for the long time with no reply ive been busy with the car. we ran last night finally getting the car to handle correctly we run and asphalt 3/8 high banked track. we knew an enginge builder and I talked to him yester day and we looked up some specs we are pretty sure we want to run the 97 head we have around and the 97 cam and is different from the 98 I forget the right number but there was a little bit of difference between when both valves will be open. he is going to talk with his cam builder and see which one we think will suit us better after a regrind.
Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:09 PM
and we were actually sitting in the garage yesterday throwing ideas around and im not sure how our track would like it but we may try to do it over the winter. whats your opinion on cutting a hole in our hood making a scoop and using that as a type of ram air hood?
Monday, July 01, 2013 7:59 PM
instead of cutting a hole in the hood why dont you use the neutral air at the base of the windshield,like cowl induction, with a 97 style engine the intake opening is at the firewall so plumbing would be simple(just a thought)
Sunday, July 07, 2013 1:50 PM
will the 97 intake fit the 98+ block?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search