03 Grand Am L61 Ecotec engine in a 05 Cavalier - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03 Grand Am L61 Ecotec engine in a 05 Cavalier
Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:51 PM
Well, I have a 2003 Grand Am with an Ecotec engine that has been giving me too many non engine issues. The engine in the car is perfectly fine though, its just the car itself that has a lot going on with it. Earlier today, I found a 2005 Cavalier that Merchants messed up by not putting oil in the car, thus locking the engine (I really dislike that company, but anyways). So I am at an interesting place right now... I have a good engine in a Grand Am with a body that's not worth much and I can get the Cavalier for $400. From what I've been told, the Grand Am's transmission is different from the Cavalier, and it is geared differently in both cars, BUT both cars are L61 Ecotecs. I know there was a minor difference between the Ecotecs concerning the return fuel line, but besides that, are the engines plug and play? Can I simply swap Ecotecs or is it more complicated than that?

If I can swap Ecos with no prob, can I leave the return fuel line or do I have to get the top end from the Cavalier and use that on the Grand Am's Eco?

All help is appreciated!

Re: 03 Grand Am L61 Ecotec engine in a 05 Cavalier
Thursday, July 25, 2013 12:49 AM
I'm pretty sure you would have to swap oil pans, If the trigger wheels are the same, I think they are, I don't see what could keep you from swapping anything else you need from the old cavalier motor to the good one. Once you have both of them out make sure to compare the thermostat housing and fuel lines/rail.

Hopefully someone else knows for sure if the trigger wheels are the same.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search