has anybody built BUILT a ld9? - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: has anybody built BUILT a ld9?
Monday, July 29, 2013 8:37 AM
Even at its height the J-body and the LD9 had but a fraction of the support that other platforms enjoy.

I'm rather surprised my one-off built LD9 didn't come up in your searches... what with the custom crank, custom cams, thermal coated 7.9:1 pistons & combustion chambers, dramatically over-ported decked head as well as a completely balanced and blueprinted bottom end right down to the flywheel bolts. Other custom (NOT off the shelf) parts including shot peened oil pump gears, piston coolers, main bearings & 1/2" head studs.

It's sitting on a dolley... if you can drive up to canada, pick it up with your bare hands (NVG Transmission, Stage 4 unspring 4 puck clutch, custom lightened stock flywheel and all) and lift it into your car unassisted then you can keep the entire thing.

There are some incredible one-off builds on this site... the reason people go with secret cams etc is because these cars are built on a budget 90% of the time and those are great budget cams. Custom cams are hard to come by, now.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:32 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:Even at its height the J-body and the LD9 had but a fraction of the support that other platforms enjoy.

I'm rather surprised my one-off built LD9 didn't come up in your searches... what with the custom crank, custom cams, thermal coated 7.9:1 pistons & combustion chambers, dramatically over-ported decked head as well as a completely balanced and blueprinted bottom end right down to the flywheel bolts. Other custom (NOT off the shelf) parts including shot peened oil pump gears, piston coolers, main bearings & 1/2" head studs.

It's sitting on a dolley... if you can drive up to canada, pick it up with your bare hands (NVG Transmission, Stage 4 unspring 4 puck clutch, custom lightened stock flywheel and all) and lift it into your car unassisted then you can keep the entire thing.

There are some incredible one-off builds on this site... the reason people go with secret cams etc is because these cars are built on a budget 90% of the time and those are great budget cams. Custom cams are hard to come by, now.

-Chris-

can i take on that challenge for the engine if i can lift it unassisted??

then i can have your engine and mine making 500+whp, given i will just throw my turbo setup on your engine but hey, it all works the same doesnt it?

Monday, July 29, 2013 10:33 AM
lol chris... coming from someone who's engine profile literally says "figure it out for yourself"... your build is a bit vauge.

PICS. post pics of it, i know ive never seen any internally lol

ps, whats ur address, im on my way to "pick up" my new drivetrain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, July 29, 2013 10:34 AM

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, July 29, 2013 10:48 AM
I'm right behind brad I'm a ex state competition power lifter lol I would give it a try haha but sounds like a nasty ass build! I said @!#$ budget I wanna make history

I Love My J ♡
Monday, July 29, 2013 12:17 PM
Haha Brad I doubt you can lift it.... it has all the accessories on it and everything. lol

I'm sure the lightened drivetrain helps a bit but that NVG is a pig.

And I used to have a very very very filled out engine profile, changed it a few years ago due to people wanting to be spoon-fed their builds.

Cody - I wouldn't quote it at 500+ hp... it hasn't done that yet. Capable - probably but it hasn't done it as of yet so I am wary to make that claim.

With all that said - there are plenty of custom builds out there - the big issue is parts. There aren't that many custom parts floating around anymore.

Brad - what happened to Karo's engine? The last I heard the person that bought it was going to boost it?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Monday, July 29, 2013 1:26 PM
Todd put a prototype m45 on it....and made less HP than it did NA.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, July 29, 2013 2:09 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Todd put a prototype m45 on it....and made less HP than it did NA.

Keep in mind tuning.

Chris I'm with Brad I have never seen documented info on your build. You have told me small bits and pieces in IM in the past but nothing concrete.

Actually what you posted above is more than I have ever seen or heard.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:54 PM
Sounds like a sweet build tho man I almost wish I wouldn't of even posted in the boost form about a stroker boost build cuz really it's just turning a 2.3 into a big bore ld9 why not just bore the ld9 .100 and that would be Damn close lol Idk what I'm do yet but high compression and a blower are about the only things I'm set on lol

I Love My J ♡
Monday, July 29, 2013 3:01 PM
cody nobbs wrote:Sounds like a sweet build tho man I almost wish I wouldn't of even posted in the boost form about a stroker boost build cuz really it's just turning a 2.3 into a big bore ld9 why not just bore the ld9 .100 and that would be Damn close lol Idk what I'm do yet but high compression and a blower are about the only things I'm set on lol

For a stroker I think going 2.3 block with 2.4 crank is the better way.

You can only bore the LD9 block soo much before making the walls too thin.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:46 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:what you posted above is more than I have ever seen or heard.

this! lol

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:12 PM
I think I read once in another thread brad said .120 is the limit? Chime in brad if I'm wrong I do not recall but I think it was .120 on a ld9 it just almost seems like wasted effort to me if you could bore ld9 to the same and have almost the same set up lol I Do like the idea of a stroker tho

I Love My J ♡

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:48 PM
Your not stroking a motor unless you change the stroke. You can bore a ld9 out and you will have a bored ld9, not a stroked ld9.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 29, 2013 6:50 PM
all this talk of the ld9 makes me miss mine, rod bearings and all... now i have an eco i need to get running to i can boost it.

Monday, July 29, 2013 7:44 PM
I know that lol but the ld9 bored out would be the same thing as the stroked 2.3 same bore and stroke is what I'm saying not that boring the ld9 would be same as stroking it. It would all just end up the same thing in the end. Yes a 2.3 with a ld9 crank would be a stroked motor but it would only be a big bore version of a ld9 so what I'm getting at is a bored out ld9 would end up having same dimensions as stroked 2.3 just one would be stroked on would be bored out. That's what I'm saying lol

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:04 AM
cody nobbs wrote:I know that lol but the ld9 bored out would be the same thing as the stroked 2.3 same bore and stroke is what I'm saying not that boring the ld9 would be same as stroking it. It would all just end up the same thing in the end. Yes a 2.3 with a ld9 crank would be a stroked motor but it would only be a big bore version of a ld9 so what I'm getting at is a bored out ld9 would end up having same dimensions as stroked 2.3 just one would be stroked on would be bored out. That's what I'm saying lol

the LD9 bored out will not have the same dimensions as a 2.6 stroker 2.3/2.4 hybrid, the 2.4's cant be bored out enough to increase the displacement to that degree while maintaining a thick cylinder wall that would be reliable and strong

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:12 AM
If the block has ZERO, and I MEAN ZERO core shift. You can bore 0.080-0.100 over. Most of the LD9 blocks are easily safe to bore 0.040 over. A lot have bored 0.060" over. There is a lot of circle track and dirt oval guys, that have used modified 2.3 pistons in a 2.4 block. Again, you need a block with VERY little core shift.

I think the 2.3l oil pump swap is a great idea for a built twin cam.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:42 AM
Oh the oil pump swap is a must imo and I agree zero core shift as well. Just saying if you could get it bored to that extent safely via zero core shift then you would have practically the same concept. But like I said the idea of a stroker is bad ass lol it would be sweet if somebody made a stroker crank that had more stroke than the ld9 that would make a beast engine

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:49 AM
There are a few de-stroked 2.2 and 2.0l cranks floating around. Last I heard they were north of $2500 still.

Ever once and a while one will pop up on ebay.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:16 AM
I'll bite on this one...I have yet to install it yet but my build consists of:

2.4 block .030 over modded for 2.3 oil pump
Lightened knife edged crank
Eagle Rods
Wiseco 9-1 pistons with custom valve reliefs cut(Compression is quoted for 2.4 head)
Crank/Head studs
Cometic .090 head gasket
086 Head ported and polished Final compression ratio is around 9-1
Custom dual valve springs with titanium retainers
Custom cams with .430 lift and 240@50 Duration with adjusted cam timing
Venom fuel rail 750cc Injectors(to start out with)
Custom intake manifold with LS1 Throttle body
After Market iginition coils
T3/T04E turbo

Aside from the cams and the Block head combination this is not an off the wall build, but it should produce good numbers.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:26 PM
cody nobbs wrote:Oh the oil pump swap is a must imo and I agree zero core shift as well. Just saying if you could get it bored to that extent safely via zero core shift then you would have practically the same concept. But like I said the idea of a stroker is bad ass lol it would be sweet if somebody made a stroker crank that had more stroke than the ld9 that would make a beast engine

The R/S ratio is already pushing it on a stock LD9. More stroke is not the way to go.

Head flow is the biggest obstacle and is what needs the most attention with these engines.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:19 PM
Whalesac wrote:Head flow is the biggest obstacle and is what needs the most attention with these engines.

ding ding ding! we have a winner!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:54 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Whalesac wrote:Head flow is the biggest obstacle and is what needs the most attention with these engines.

Take it from me - when you overport the head on this engine it becomes a dog below 3000 rpm.

As much as my car comes to life in stupid ways at around 3000 rpm it is completely useless below that... I know that the 7.9 static compression ratio destroyed what bottom end I had left. I actually had to crank up my off-idle timing by 6 degrees just to get the car to respond decently from a dead stop.

Even when N.A with secret cams this head responded beautifully in the top end but I actually lost time in the 1/4 mile. It's the reason I ended up going boost, the car was such a disappointment N/A. There's pictures floating around of the size of the ports but it's 1/8" OVER gasket match. I'm actually making custom gaskets in a week or two and porting my new turbo manifold to match the head - I have a lot of meat to take out of the flange.

Cody - as mentioned these blocks can take a decent overbore but not whats required to increase the displacement to 2.6L. The oil pump swap is a must and as much as my JBP pump has done the trick it's my one real regret with this engine - not going with the 2.3 pump swap.

The oil pump gears were hardened due to Mike Karas shattering his above 7000 rpm - my engine was built for an 8000 rpm redline with solid lifters and custom springs. I didn't want to risk the gears coming apart at high RPM's like what Mike had experienced. I have safely brought it up to 8000 rpm quite a few times with Darren in the car to experience it... now that I know a lot more about the oil pump design on the LD9 I'm wary to do it very often due to cavitating the oil... a different gear in my pump isn't going to overcome its poor design in this regard. While the top end can take it as well as the rotating assembly I worry about the oil, now.

John/Brad - I had a pretty complete list up on the .org for quite a few years... let me know what questions you may have. Brad - a lot of the parts I mentioned you've known about for 7+ years, don't act surprised. How long have you asked me about that custom crank as well as the thermal coatings that were applied to the head and pistons so I could run a bit leaner? What about the custom bearings I had made when I blew the first engine up? You were the first person I talked to about that after I came to grips I grenaded a $10,000 engine... haha.

If i were to do it again I'd make 3 changes:

- Different turbo. (As much as I love the Borg my compressor map shows me it's going to fall short of my original goal.)
- 2.3 pump swap
- Higher SCR: the car was built for 28-30 PSI on PUMP gas (which I now know my turbo cannot support) and I dramatically underestimated the effect of such a low SCR for regular street driving.

Cody - you mentioned a TVS blower on the LD9... I personally wouldn't go any route where I can guarantee I can cool the intake charge. This is why I settled on a G-LADER supercharger for my side project... though they are known to be unreliable if you don't care for them and good for only 300 hp CFM flow. (Perfect for what I have in mind, though.) If you're going to do a built I'd suggest planning it around a turbocharger from the get-go.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:03 PM
I wanna start off with saying thanks to the positive replys ! And z's z thats a nice build man I plan on having my crank lightened to the max balanced and knife edged I want my rotating assembly as light as possible and eagle h's is a must along with the 2.3 pump swap and I'm coming to realize the fact that a 086 head is going to be needed as well on any build I'm gonna go with. And Chris the only thing keeping me from a turbo build is I have a boner for roots blowers I have a good idea on how to cool it well that I saw somebody else do and think it will work great but if I can't run 12s with a blower of any responsible size ima eather stuff n2o in it or cry lol maybe twin charge would be a idea but Idk yet I think I can hit my goal via blower with a well thought out build and bad ass tuning!! Brad gave me the twin charge idea I woulda never thought of it lol I was so stuck on blower

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:35 PM
if youre going to build an engine, you might as well just turbo it, that way you can start small and if you ever want to go higher you can throw more boost at it. the s/c's are pretty quick to max out, been there done that, on 11psi on my turbo setup i made 400+whp and like 370wtq on pump gas, turn the dial up and watch the power jump as well

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:50 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

Take it from me - when you overport the head on this engine it becomes a dog below 3000 rpm.

there is more to head work than "flow". just hogging out the ports isnt gonna get you what me and brian are referring to. there is a @!#$ ton of work that can be done in the combustion chambers. PLUS, id like to think HUGE gains could be had by moving the roofs/floors of the ports around so you effectively change the angle at which the air flows. look at a honda head, their valve angles are WAY greater than ours. this helps get the air in and out easier because they are positioned better in proportion to the ports. i also firmly believe this is why the LD9 head is superior to the 086 head.. at least in terms of n/a anyway. the intake ports on an LD9 head are raised way higher than the 086s.

and even still... if you are building an engine thats rev happy you'd better not even be near 3000 rpm at any point in a hit LOL

and yes, ive known about the engine LOL. ah those were the days.. msn hahahaha

cody, if you wanna lighten up the rotating assembly the most your gonna need a set of jet titanium rods. lol something i just so happen to have for sale along with a set of wiseco forged pistons. get ready to pay though.

and dont let these guys talk to out of a blower. if you want a TVS, i dont see ANY reason why one thats properly set up with meth injection and other cooling goodies could not do 400-450whp on a built LD9. hell they do 350-400whp on the smaller displacement LSJ's in the cobalts for crist sakes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:57 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search