Getting started, Z24 owners please post something.. :D - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting started, Z24 owners please post something.. :D
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:28 PM
Hey guys, just got done fixing the Cavalier and now I am looking to start throwing some money at it to make it fun.
I know that I am should worry about suspension but right now I want to get a little more power out of it. It is a 2001 Z24 so I know it has a bad following but I know there are some people here that have gotten a lot of power from the engine.
Anyways I want to know where to start, would love to learn from the masters.

Thanks, Ian

Re: Getting started, Z24 owners please post something.. :D
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:31 PM
Well I have the same car 01 5 speed first off maintenance will make the car run a lot better and make it so it's more how should I say healthy to mod if you mod a car that needs a tune up well you didn't get far lol first off the car needs to breath cai header and exhaust will make a world of difference just buy a ebay cai or build one at autozone with the pieces you can buy from them but I would just go ebay screw buying a over priced k&n etc. Buy a good header no ebay junk and no junk ebay exhaust get on you tube and see what sounds you like best and have a system built by a shop or buy name brand stuff. Plus the shifter in our cars sucks if you got a 5 speed first get a short throw but if auto get b&m shift improver there's a right up on it in the transmission section hope this helps

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:37 PM
Ian Lecy wrote:Hey guys, just got done fixing the Cavalier and now I am looking to start throwing some money at it to make it fun.
I know that I am should worry about suspension but right now I want to get a little more power out of it. It is a 2001 Z24 so I know it has a bad following but I know there are some people here that have gotten a lot of power from the engine.

Thanks, Ian

bank your money, enjoy the cavy as a dd and then buy something that has an aftermarket support to go fast

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:08 AM
That too! Lol unless your stuck on the car and like spending money but a good bang for your buck fast car is a ls1 fbody

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:41 AM
LAFNGAS wrote:
Ian Lecy wrote:Hey guys, just got done fixing the Cavalier and now I am looking to start throwing some money at it to make it fun.

Thanks, Ian

bank your money, enjoy the cavy as a dd and then buy something that has an aftermarket support to go fast

QFT!!! This man speaks from experience.

So do I.

Bank the coin, enjoy the car, keep it maintained and clean and love it for what it is... not what it "could" be once you've sunk $$ into it that you'll never get back.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:00 AM
bah, people dont mod cars with the thought of getting money back. j body or otherwise, if it's what you wanna do go for it. in the end its only money, you gotta spend it somewhere or its useless.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:14 AM
Haha thanks everyone. I understand what you are saying completely but I feel a little differently. When I was young my dad had a old Z24 and he put some money into it and made it fast and always told me I needed to get one when I got my license, well I got one. He passed away in 06 though. So I am on my own here with this one. I am ok with dropping some money into the car and I understand I won't get it back.
You are right I will probably drop A LOT of money into the car and get $500 for it when it is sent to the junkyard but I find it worth it. Soo yeah performance away! :p
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:19 AM
Build what makes you happy! You can't take money with you when you die so just like brad said if you don't spend it what good is it and you came to the right place to ask questions so don't be afraid we will help you

I Love My J ♡
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:57 AM
Awesome thanks Cody. Yeah I have a CAI on the way, I have a header I bought from someone a few months back, never put it on yet, planning on getting the high flow cat and cat back exhaust first and then putting them all on at once. When I get all of that taken care of what do you recommend? Btw it is a 5 speed. Sorry didn't say that before. Short shifter, I mean is there even a chance that a LD9 can be turbo/ take a turbo?
Not saying that is my for sure plan for it but eh wouldn't hurt looking into it. If it helps I would absolutly LOVE to just get 250hp out of it, if that isn't possible then 200 hp would make me happy as well.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:59 AM
cody nobbs wrote:That too! Lol unless your stuck on the car and like spending money but a good bang for your buck fast car is a ls1 fbody

LS1 fbody....LMAO. I spoke and embarrass those on the street and the highway in my Cobalt. And once Im done with my LD9 Z24 build that little Chevy will too do the same.

Building a Cavalier takes knowledge, you have to know how to mod one. You cant just go to your local autozone and buy performance parts and go to any tuner shop to get it dialed in. You need to do your research to unleash the beast.

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:57 PM
Dohc is right you have to know your @!#$ so do some extensive research and hey lol my 99 z28 with 228,000 miles on it ran 13.7 smoking tires threw 3rd and braking them in 4th hey it's all gm don't be a hater

I Love My J ♡

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:17 PM
lol... I pay $100 a month for the past 10 months for my baby to sit in storage. Go and start her up and drive her once a few months for a few miles! Basically, I love my car, I have been financially able to build my dream ride out of this car but stopped almost 2 years ago. I should buy a mid 30,000 dollar sports car and hook it up instead is what my mind is telling me. Sentimental value, building this ride from mad research like someone mentioned and keeping it like a show car, perfectly clean; no imperfections etc. etc. are why its in my hands! Should I go big or go home. Cant decide and now don't drive her because I need to do something more. Spend the money or trade her in?? Vote

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:46 PM
Spend money

I Love My J ♡
Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:52 PM
Haha I am on the same page as Cody. Yeah spend the money, its a very good looking car and a great base for a project.
Thursday, August 01, 2013 6:55 PM
I knew IT! ... Going to redyno soon to squeeze a few more ponies lol.. FYI- bought two supercharger kits JBODY and I think one from EBAY. Both deals fell through. I was going to build internals, valvetrain, P&P in conjunction. Deal fell through so did my projects lol. Alright guys lets see what I do here in the next few months. Need to make a decision.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search