Engine Swap help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Swap help
Saturday, August 03, 2013 12:20 PM
I have a 98 caviler LS with the 2.4L v4 engine and its economic BUT it lacks what I want, I love the body and its a good car to work on, however
I used to have a 92 Grand Prix with a 3.4L v6.

id love to swap the engine in my caviler but ive never done an engine swap , my fam has a big garage with the EQ. any advice or help information I really don't know what engines will fit in
the caviler or what I do about the engine electrical.
compatible engines would be a start.

Re: Engine Swap help
Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:12 PM
Thats a 3400 Dohc and has never been put into a j body as far as i know at least 3rd gen...... but this is where you should start searching

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=40670&t=40670

Erik Packard
Saturday, August 03, 2013 1:54 PM
Also its a L4 not a v4...... its not a motorcycle engine here

Erik Packard
Sunday, August 04, 2013 5:52 PM
ok so after reading all that i think that means my engine is a 2400 OHV, and i need to get a 3100 or 3400 OHV for the swap id like, in the process i wanted to change over to manual. ill be looking for a isuzu manual tranny, as for the mounts ill be needing a touch of fabrication, my cus took welding so if i can find him a shop them i can have him do those.
next up is the engine electrical. im a little lost on this part because i know the least about. i need to do some reading on it. do any of you know some good books where i could pick up the basics on it
Monday, August 05, 2013 7:11 AM
You have a 2.4L Twin Cam or Dual Overhead Cam lol it is also referred to as an LD9 for the engine code. The 2.2L or 2200 is an OHV. Trust me, I built mine a few years ago.

The 3400 is much more desirable than the 3100 and yes you will need to weld in new mounts and find a tranny from a 2200, 3100, 3400, etc.

Find schematics for both the engine and car and just dive into it. Oh yeah and search the forums as much as possible, most everything you need is right here

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:31 AM
Ricozero wrote:Thats a 3400 Dohc and has never been put into a j body as far as i know at least 3rd gen...... but this is where you should start searching

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=40670&t=40670
The DOHC has, in fact, been installed in a 3rd gen. The project was done similar to the 3800 swap, so both stickies in the 3rd gen section are good places to start. It's a very tight fit. If you do it, though, do some of the maintainance on the engine first, particularly replacing the timing belt. They are a high wear item on those, and it's not easy to do once it's in the car.

Monday, February 17, 2014 6:55 PM
So, did you do it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search