Help car cuts out radomly - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help car cuts out radomly
Monday, July 29, 2013 7:38 AM
hey, Ive been having this issue lately and i'm not sure why, my car randomly cuts out as i'm driving it usually at 2500-3000rpms and when it cuts out it has some black smoke and just doesn't want to go, it only does it sometimes not 24/7 but enough to worry me. i swapped out coils and that wasn't it, i checked sensors and nothing is unhooked and i changed the top 02 sensor and a few other things too i don't remember everything at the moment, but check engine light is always on due to the 02 sensor on the other side of the cat, i don't have a cat so i feel there is really no point in replacing it if its not going to get a correct reading anyways since there is no cat. i was told it could be my injectors or fuel pump, i have extra injectors so i'm going to swap them out when i get time but if that's not it i'm pretty much clueless other than maybe a fuel pump, has anyone else has this problem? Thanks guys

Re: Help car cuts out radomly
Monday, July 29, 2013 8:41 AM
Black smoke is indicative of unburnt fuel, so I find it highly unlikely that it's your pump.

It's possible that you have injectors that aren't closing, but odd that it only happens at certain conditions, so I would probably rule that out as well. It doesn't hurt to try since you already have another set, though.

I would be looking at the ignition system. You said you swapped out coils, but it could be the control module. How many miles on your plugs and wires? Again, since it's only happening at certain RPMs, I'm not really thinking that is where the problem is, but always something to check.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:41 AM
I had a similar issue. Mine was related to a broken injector harness after a front end accident! I replaced the injector o rings, cleaned the injectors and repaired the broken wire.
I would suggest checking the injectors and make sure they are all working.
Best of luck

Ohhhh cheeves
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:17 PM
thanks guys, im going to swap my injectors and hope that help if not then i will do some more trouble shooting,
thanks for the help

[IMG]https://sphotos-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1003720_637904736220748_631017182_n.jpg]
Sunday, August 04, 2013 9:00 PM
I believe my 99 Z does similar stuff each time the fuel pressure regulator decides to start acting up.

Monday, August 05, 2013 6:04 AM
I would guess it's an ignition issue.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, August 05, 2013 7:03 AM
Everyone has mentioned the possible causes. As for the O2 sensor code, do the antifouler trick and get rid of it. Just search

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search