2.2 head swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 head swap
Monday, July 22, 2013 11:10 AM
I have read and read and read the forums, but can't seem to find a straight answer. I race 2.2 cavaliers on a dirt oval, and have done some extensive research, but I still find myself with questions. I have wound up with a car that has a 99 bottom end, a 96 head, and a 96 wiring harness that has a rough miss to it. I was told the engine was running smooth when first put together, but developed this miss before they got to race it, and just brought it home. I know it was being ran on pump gas, which I personally never would have done in the first place, and there is also a heavy exhaust leak where the manifold bolts to the pipe. I'm going to do compression tests and check the injectors this evening when I get home, but is it worth fooling with? Is this combination even capable of running, or am I beating a dead horse? If there is something that could be changed to make it work, or just some kind of direction other than what the typical guy would know to look for. I know the timing notches are different as of 98 on the crank, but would that make it miss? If so, could i put the crank from the spare 95 motor I have? Any input will help.

Re: 2.2 head swap
Monday, July 22, 2013 2:15 PM
You've never seen this?-

2.2 Growing pains

It's the most complete 2.2 interchange/spec available. Since I've never tried your specific setup, I can't tell you for sure, but this article will point you in the right direction.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:25 PM
I've heard a few people say that the cranks can be swapped without problems from the ECUs.
That piston/head combo is really high compression; I wouldn't suggest pump gas.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:49 AM
Sadly I have questions too... I did the swap.. but I only used the block, rods, and pistons from a 99' swapped my crank, head, and cooling system parts from my 95' onto it and am currently driving it daily on 93 octane pump gas... But it does have an issue... I haven't quiet figured out... Most likely fuel delivery... as everything in that area is all stock, plus I have no way to tune it......
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search