WHAT PISTONS TO BUY? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WHAT PISTONS TO BUY?
Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:32 PM
ok so im doing a 2.2 l61 ecotec build. I have 2 motors one in my car and one I got off a friend who works at a dealer ship for 100.00. I am trying to decide what pistons to go with cause im getting it bored .020 over.. I have the flat and domed one I was looking at from wieco..im gonna turbo it by summer but wanna have the motor built and in the car by spring. I heard that a flat top piston cant handle as much boost as a domed piston is there any truth to this? and any suggestions on the build would be cool just trying to reach 300 hp after turbo is installed..lso when I pull the motor that's in the car I will be building that one as a second motor..

Re: WHAT PISTONS TO BUY?
Friday, August 23, 2013 4:57 AM
Yes... You want lower compression with boost.... most flat top pistons are 10:1 ration where as when using boost it is better to use 9:1 or lower so it doesnt burn a hole in your piston as far as i know

Erik Packard
Friday, August 23, 2013 6:28 AM
Hey man. Have you RESEARCHED these forums? You'll see all sorts of questions like this.. but I'll help you out. Here's a link for your pistons and rods that you'll need. BUT this is what I needed was stock bore pistons. I called the ebay stores number AND guess what? They were like "oh yeah we got those. In fact we can get those sets on hand right now and can get them for you for $30 cheaper." So they sent me an invoice payment thing and I paid for cheaper than I thought. Hope this helps man.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiseco-Pistons-Eagle-Rods-Ecotec-2-2L-8-9-1-86-5mm-Opel-Cobalt-/270771648161?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003|Make%3AChevrolet|Model%3ACav alier|Submodel%3ALS+Sport|Engine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.2L&hash=item3f0b3f76a1&vxp=mtr

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Friday, August 23, 2013 12:59 PM
Where are you finding flat tops for an Eco? The only pistons I ever found were 8.9:1 dished ones from Wiseco.

Friday, August 23, 2013 4:54 PM
Both pistons will handle boost just fine.

If it was me I would go flat tops or even domed. Nothing wrong with high compression and boost, as long as you can tune it.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 23, 2013 9:11 PM
brian they are from wiseco I called them the had flat 10:1 and domed 8:9:1
Friday, August 23, 2013 9:17 PM
hey abe Jacobs thanks for the info I appreciate it..
Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:40 AM
We have them on www.TurboTechRacing.com Flat top (10:1) and dish (8.9:1)

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search