Rod bearing replacement while IN car - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rod bearing replacement while IN car
Monday, August 26, 2013 12:24 PM
Started the cavy today and its knocking like a mofo all of a sudden. Pulled the plugs, they looked fine (but dirty). Scoped the cylinders and they all looked good from up top. Cleaned the plugs and put them back in, still knocking of course. I assume its ether a bearing or a rod (eagle H beam) somehow bent while the car was off'? I can't remember, but is is possible to swap out the rod bearings through the oil pan? Its been a long time since I originally built this motor.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Rod bearing replacement while IN car
Monday, August 26, 2013 1:06 PM
I prob should have mentioned its an LD9

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:16 PM
Same thing happened to mine but I was in 5th gear doing maybe 30mph and bam sounded like someone was hitting my engine with a sledge hammer.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:42 AM
You should be able to do the bearings, but it's a PITA. I've done it on a RWD car, over the crossmember. It should actually be easier with a J, since you have a clear shot to the oil pan.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:44 AM
I know the pistons will not come out the bottom...Not sure if you can get to the wrist pins....to get them out.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:40 AM
With the old oil pump you would def have to take it off. It would be a pain.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 4:37 PM
does the car have a 2.3 pump swap? im gonna go ahead and assume not since its knocking LOL

and if not, im gonna go ahead and recommend that you take the engine out and have it done. it would be a very nice compliment to those eagle rods you mentioned. hopefully they are ok and didnt get egged.

either way, if 2.3 swapped or stock pump in there its a PITA to change out the bearings. can it be done though? yep. i suggest some type of jack underneath the stock oil pump to hold it in place while you finagle the drive chain off and back on again though. it will make your day much easier with a whole lot less profanities and thrown tools.

and with that said, IF the crank is ok and not egged as well as the rods then yes you will successfully save the engine the easy way. however, it can go either way. only way of knowing is to swap the bearings and run it. ive heard of/seen it go either way. one guy got lucky whereas the other did not so, take it for what thats worth.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search