97 2.2 ohv rev limiter - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 2.2 ohv rev limiter
Wednesday, August 28, 2013 5:58 PM
I have a 97 sunfire with 2.2 ohv and 5 speed manual. I use the car for dirt track racing and I am not overly concerned about running it a little beyond its limits. I am currently hitting my rev limiter 2/3 of the way through the straight and need a little extra rpm. (Yes I have experimented with tires. Large as possible 2nd gear not enough rpm smallest possible tires 3rd gear not enough rpm out of corners.) So I was wondering what is a safe point to bump the rev limiter to so the motor does not hand grenade the first time I race it? Are their any mods that will help support the higher rpms? (Already have beehive valve springs.)

Re: 97 2.2 ohv rev limiter
Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:43 PM
You should be safe up to 6800 or so at least especially with the springs. It's been my experience that you're slowing yourself down by spinning them that high though.
Re: 97 2.2 ohv rev limiter
Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:44 PM
Thank you. Appreciate you giving me an answer rather than telling me that I am retarded for wanting to do this. Shifting into 3rd and back to 2nd kills my momentum and screws up my entry into the corner so just squeezing a couple extra mph and having a little more momentum into the corner I think would help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search