a few questions about the 2.2 and 2200 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a few questions about the 2.2 and 2200
Friday, August 30, 2013 9:27 AM
I havent messed with a non eco jbody in awhile.
my buddy has a 98 or 99 base model sedan 2.2 auto, it ticks and leaks like crazy.
I have running 2.2 out of a 95 s10 and he wants it as a replacement, the blocks/heads and bell housing pattern all look identical between the two. i noticed the intake mani/exhaust mani are different and will have to be swapped along with the accessory plate to the fwd stuff from his engine.

its the same engine right?
anything im missing, any input?

Re: a few questions about the 2.2 and 2200
Friday, August 30, 2013 9:43 AM
The 95 and 98 are very similar but not 100% the same. The intake runners are different and therefore the intake manifold and fuel rail from a 98 wont match up with a 97 and older.

Looking at a picture thats not very good, it appears that the 95 intake is the same on the s10 as the jbody but i cant say for sure. Best solution would be to pull a 2200 out of a yard, theyre dirt cheap. My last one was $200 and had 45k on it. Youll likely spend that much or more trying to get the motor to swap up to a 98+ car. Im sure the PCM could run it as the sensors should be the same, but its a gamble until you get it apart and get deeper into it.

Heres a link that has a TON of info on the different iterations of that motor: Your text to link here...

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Re: a few questions about the 2.2 and 2200
Sunday, September 01, 2013 7:06 PM
95 2.2 is different from 98 2200 .piston is diff ,head is diff ,mani, crank has diff timinig notch ,etc. All in all it prob be easier to buy engine from junkyard or cl.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search