Ecotec problems - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec problems
Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:35 AM
My daily is an 04 Cavalier with 102k miles and a 2.2 Ecotec engine. It had the typical "death rattle" on startup every now and then. One day it started randomly making timing chain noise at stop lights, but was quiet at other times also. A couple times the idle wandered a little but not too bad.

I pulled the "cam" cover off it and the chain was tight and nothing looked out of place. Thinking it could be a sticky timing chain tensioner, I zip tied the timing chain to both upper sprockets and replaced the tensioner with the upgraded style. Got the new tensioner to "pop" after installation too.

Fired the car up and it ran like crap and choked out. Wouldn't start then. I pulled the cam cover off again and even though the tensioner is "released", when you turn it over the chain just skips on the intake cam sprocket.

The sprockets don't look bad, chain gets tight and isn't sloppy, the upper guide looks perfect. I did notice that when rotating the engine with the intake cam sprocket bolt, there is a spot where the chain gets slack in it. I also pulled the new tensioner back out to confirm and yes it was released.

I would have no problems putting a $150.00 complete timing set into it, but I'm a little worried about bent valves etc. because this is an interference engine. How would I go about checking for compression etc. when I cant even get the chain to hook on the sprockets?

Sorry for being long winded. This car is my daily driver and gotta get it back on the road.

Thanks guys.

JLP
01 GTP special edition<---- Praying daily it doesnt break again
04 LS Sport Sedan<----- Driving daily and it doesnt break
79 Monte<--- The EFI Hot Rod ---> 11.59 @ 113.85

Re: Ecotec problems
Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:34 AM
SeriouZ wrote:when rotating the engine with the intake cam sprocket bolt

Never do this.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Re: Ecotec problems
Saturday, September 07, 2013 3:53 PM
If you can pull the little rockers out from between the cam and the valves you bent the intake valves happens to me on my beater bought it and the top chain guide was so loose and the intake cam slipped these engines aren't very happy about slipped chains.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search