z24cavalier3400 Build Thread - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
z24cavalier3400 Build Thread
Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:54 PM
Car:
2000 z24
Convertible strut bar
2002 ls sport front and rear bumper with lip
2002 ls sport painted door handles
2002 ls sport dash with trunk release button( tired of using keyfob)
2002 ls sport center console with 12v aux
2005 ls sport seats
2005 ls sport gauge cluster
2002 ls sport carpet and interior panels
96 cavalier black headliner cut for map lights
96 cavalier glove box light
1 touch window control up and down with auto roll up
Automatic head lights
Clarion double din nx702
Door chime radio harness
Premium sound package
Toyota cavalier power folding mirrors
Drawtight hitch
Led lights everywhere
55w 9007-3 hid 6000k headlights
55w hid 6000k low beams
Switchback turnsignals
Ls sport rear wheel well covers
Cadilac strut bar trunk brace
Audi s4 trunk tie downs
96 cavalier glove box light
First mod:

Aftermath:

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Re: z24cavalier3400 Build Thread
Saturday, September 14, 2013 6:59 PM
Then the water pump went. So I bought a complete timing chain and had to order a new metal thermostat tube to radiator because my jack slid and I crushed it. Also poly filled my mount and tinted the windows. Also installed bifold back sead.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:11 PM
The bad:

About a 1,000 miles after doing the timing chain the car knocks at idle and when decelerating. I assume its a wrist pin. I got some goodies.

2004 eco
eco f23
Team Green LSD
TTR Control arm bushings
TTR trans bushings
Poly Dogbone
Ecedy Clutch w/ TOB
Complete Timing Set and Balance Shaft Kit with Water Pump
Gasket Kit for engine
TTR K Brace
B&M Shifter
Black Headlights

Saturday, September 14, 2013 7:14 PM
Now my problem is this K member bolt broke in half and I cannot drill it. I tried to cut it. I spent 3 hours trying to cut it and have used about 30 blades. I even went through a bunch of diamond blades and it just will not cut any further. My hands are still shaking for cutting it for so long. Anyone else have this issue?

Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:04 AM
I didn't listen or read anything....

I want those damn rear wheel liners!

If there any part numbers on them?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:42 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I didn't listen or read anything....

I want those damn rear wheel liners!

If there any part numbers on them?

They are only like $5 at a junkyard. Someone posted the part numbers for them somewhere in the forums. They cam on 2002 and almost all 03-05 cavaliers. They are actually one of the best mods I did. The road noise in the rain is almost good. It use to sound like I was in a hurricane when I drove in the rain.

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:38 PM
Sucks about that k member bolt! Good luck getting it out, I'm not really sure what else to do? I'm still interested in how you like the lsd insert. In for updates!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, September 16, 2013 2:47 PM
I had my k member bolt break off on the rear tword the drivers floor board area if thats the bolt you broke i can run you threw how i got mine out it sucked

I Love My J ♡
Monday, September 16, 2013 3:45 PM
cody nobbs wrote:I had my k member bolt break off on the rear tword the drivers floor board area if thats the bolt you broke i can run you threw how i got mine out it sucked

I got it out today. I raised the car up heated the area with torch, I then went to the drivers side and pulled the k member down and broke it off. Then I heated the sleave up with the bolt and it unscrewed real easy. This was probably the best thing that happened so far. I will pick up a new K member when I go to the year this weekend to get a new head. Is the 03-05 the same kmembers as 2000? I know of one that is really nice to took off when I pulled the engine from it.

Also I got my complete timing kit in, came with everything but I water pump gear. Disappointed in this.

Here is some goodies I got:
TTR k brace from Y3llowCav
Head Gasket Kit with bolts
Exedy Clutch kit
Black headlights
Timing chain kit, balance shaft kit, water pump

Monday, September 16, 2013 3:50 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is timed correctly? If you look at the right balance shaft there is an arrow but it wont point to the middle of the collored like only the left or right pivot point on the link. Also to install a clutch on an eco it says to alight the painted mark on the pressure plate with the x on the fly wheel. Well there is a ton of painted marks and no X on the flywheel. It says the X is the heavy side of the flywheel and the painted mark is the light side of the pressureplate.

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:33 PM
I guess the real question is does it matter since you deleted the balance shafts?

glad to see the k brace go to good use

"In Oldskool we trust"

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:53 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:I guess the real question is does it matter since you deleted the balance shafts?

glad to see the k brace go to good use

I didn't delete the balance shafts. Most of the posts said the engine vibrated a lot. I don't want the car to be annoying plus the kit is $150. With all the new mounts I am sure the vibration my be insane. I am trying to find a engine mount yet. 2 people that had them for sale, one was RKsports, the other was a LZM, neither person got back to me and its been over a week. I really wanted a Addco front bar but that fell through too. I really don't have too much money left over to buy these things so hopefully they will pop up in the classifieds.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:45 AM
The car is looking good, but the title is confusing to me. LOL

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:55 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:The car is looking good, but the title is confusing to me. LOL

How is the title confusing?

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:24 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:

Because your title has 3400 in it, but I see an Eco. What's the 3400 mean?

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:23 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Rob Dotterer wrote:

Because your title has 3400 in it, but I see an Eco. What's the 3400 mean?

I have a 3400 swapped cavalier. Actually I a 3400 swapped sunbird I am finishing

cavalier
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/cavalier3400z-build-update-small-update-t117207,start,180.html
sunbird
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/help-91-sunbird-le-vert-2-0-to-v6-build-t118064,start,30.html

I didn't think the name was miss leading when it is my username on here lol. That is why it is z24cavalier3400 with no spaces.

Monday, September 30, 2013 8:50 PM
New B pillar covers. Hopefully no more wind noise
New k member 2004
2004 24mm front swaybar out with the old 22mm crap
2002 Eco cylinder head
Hawk hps pads
All Eco hoses
2004 Eco fuel rail
Convertible trunk hinges

Tore down the head
Removed trans bushings
Polished and waxed the engine bay
Painted the master cylinder and abs block black

I need to find a eco valve spring compressor

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:17 AM
Yah that head sure did look rough. Hope the previous owners lack of maintenance doesn't bite you in the ass.
Tuesday, October 01, 2013 4:36 AM
Looking good man. I wonder if you can just wet sand those B pillars smooth and re-clear them? Good call on the hawk pads. I'm breaking in my second set of yellow stuff pads from EBC; we'll see how it goes this time around.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 01, 2013 8:21 AM
What do you mean by previous owners lack of maintinece? I have a highly detailed list of parts that were replaced on the car. The previous owner detailed the car every week and only used gm parts on it. If so etching was recommended to be replaced every 5,000 miled he did it ever 3-4,000. He spend so much money on parts.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:16 PM
You can tell the oil was very rarely changed with how black and caked up the head was.

My motor has over 100,xxx miles and the metal still looks clean and almost new. Id post pics but im out of town.

Ive had a few ecos apart including a few at the wreckers and honestly have never saw one so bad.

Im sure it'll be just fine with the thorough cleaning your giving it.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:30 PM
Well thats the 2nd eco head from the yard. Its nicer the the last one. The last one was toast. I have to clean it as I got all new valve stem seals and other things I do not know what they are.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:30 PM
What is the purpose of the bar bolted to the trunk floor?

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:55 PM
James Cahill wrote:What is the purpose of the bar bolted to the trunk floor?

It ties the frame rails together. If you look at a 3rd gen trunk it is nothing like a 2nd gen. The spare tire compartment is to the drivers side about 5 inches unlike 2nd gens where it is dead center. Also the structure of the car is not as sturdy therefore giving a lot of body flex. That is why people use trunk bars, trail arm braces, fender to cowl braces, kmember braces, The car is like a 2nd gen vert with a roof lol. Except you can open the doors on a lift and not worry about not being able to close them. I have one on my 2nd gen I think. Its been a while, I am not sure if I installed it or if its just sitting in the trunk, since the trunk on the car just holds all the parts I want to install one day.

My car for some reason is very tail happy, it is almost like it has a ton of oversteer even though the suspension is stock which leads me to believe there is too much flex. The trunk bar made a huge difference, I was pretty surprised. if you look at how the bar is installed you can see the that end sticks out more on the right then the left. That is because of the trunk not being symmetrical. Both sides are bolted at the same spot to the frame rails.

The bar bolts directly into the frame with grade 8 half inch bolts.
It is actually and a early 90s caddilac strut bar.
How to:
http://www.clubcav.com/showthread.php?t=10678

I am making fender to cowl braces for the car.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:18 AM
I highly doubt that makes any difference. A butt dyno is one thing, but actual, measurable results are different. Your car still has the rear bumper reinforcement, right?

I won't fill up your thread with a discussion about this though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search