a/c and p/s delete. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
a/c and p/s delete.
Monday, October 21, 2013 6:53 PM
I wanted to delete my A/C as the car is a winter beater and the a/c is doing nothing but adding weight and robbing hp. but I was wondering if I would need a custom size accessory belt or if they made an accessory belt for the LD9 without A/C? also has anyone deleted their power steering? im used to my Toyotas where the P/S is belt driven, but I noticed the P/S in these cars are cam driven so I thought that maybe it didn't even use up that much HP? in the celica you get a solid 10hp from removing the P/S is this the same with these aswell or does the cam driven P/S make it less of a parasitic draw? also wouldn't I need a block off plate?

Re: a/c and p/s delete.
Monday, October 21, 2013 7:40 PM
There is almost no gain other then reduced weight by deleting the AC. It spins freely when not engaged then when engaged at high rpms the computer disengages the clutch to keep power. As for the pump, probably the same, I doubt there will be much gain.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:51 AM
Hmmm... I might keep the power steering if it doesn't really affect HP that much but the a/c has to go!is the an accessory belt for just the ac? Or do I need to get a custom sized belt?
Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:42 AM
Custom sized belt? Belts aren't custom made.

Take the AC out. Get a piece of rope or string, wrap it around the pulleys like the belt is supposed to go, measure how long it needs to be. Go down to your local parts store, tell them you need a 5 rib (or whatever those take), however long belt. It's pretty easy.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:50 PM
people have been deleting LD9 ac units for years. most go with the ac delete pulley you can buy through gm. its around $56 bucks last i knew. OR, you can just run without it. do a search, there are many many threads here containing the specific part numbers for the belts to do it this way.

i would not recomend ditching the power steering. its a total bitch to drive without it.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search