New car, I think my exhaust is too big. Quick fixes? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New car, I think my exhaust is too big. Quick fixes?
Monday, November 18, 2013 6:42 PM
I bought a 2003 Sunfire a few weeks ago. It is a 5MT and is in great condition. Picked it up for $2600, just needs tires and ABS.

When I am in 2nd for example, and let off the throttle low in the RPMs like at 2k, the car likes to buck a little, and the car sounds like it is misfiring. Same thing when I downshift or let off of the throttle and coast like to a stop. I have a feeling that there is too much flow or no back pressure so the motor is doing dumb things. I have never had a gas car, so this issue isn't present in my TDI since that has the turbo for the back pressure.

I haven't actually looked, but this car does have a high-flow cat, and I think I could fit a soda can into the resonator. It is very likely that the piping is larger too. It runs great all other times and the only sucky thing is the lack of ABS, rear drums, and the annoying but not horrible exhaust. I don't like how gas cars sound, but it does sound much better than a honda.

This car is a backup to my loud AC-less TDI and my Ninja, so I would appreciate it much more if it was quieter or at least made normal gasser noises. The last guy seemed to really like the exhaust, and did a lot of work having the parts put together and welded up, so is there an easy "fix"? Can I find like a dual exhaust or something better-than-stock and use that? Or is the only easy fix going to be to find a stock exhaust?

Re: New car, I think my exhaust is too big. Quick fixes?
Monday, November 18, 2013 10:58 PM
You don't like the sound of gas engines? What the.... Diesel engines are so loud and sound like the motor is detonating.
Gas engines are far quieter, minus your exhaust situations.
And also, don't bother trying to "coast" in second or even third especially around that rpm (2k ). Those symptoms are just "what happens" (feeling like its misfiring etc)
Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:20 AM
Andrew Cramer wrote:You don't like the sound of gas engines? What the.... Diesel engines are so loud and sound like the motor is detonating.
And also, don't bother trying to "coast" in second or even third especially around that rpm (2k ). Those symptoms are just "what happens" (feeling like its misfiring etc)

Let me rephrase that to something more like: "If the car sounds more like a Honda Civic than something with a V8 or a turbo, then I don't want to hear it". Like a Go big or go home type thing.

Didn't know about the coasting lol, this happens mainly in the parking lot.
I've noticed that when I am slowing down to take a turn, and I go from 5th to a respectable but faster-than-2k RPM in third, that the car really hates that. Instead of just hitting the gear and the engine being forced up to 3-4k or whatever; it kind of jumps around, gets into gear, and makes the misfiring/popping noise until I give it some gas.
Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:31 PM
Andrew Cramer wrote:You don't like the sound of gas engines? What the.... Diesel engines are so loud and sound like the motor is detonating.

technically that is all a diesel engine is doing, squish bang. no spark etc.

m 04 lss does something similar to what the op is describing. not worth looking in to fixing. i would change the exhaust through, i hate the eco sound with a big exhaust.

another option is throw a saab turbo kit on it and get your backpressure you mentioned.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:23 PM
As far as I can tell, the exhaust is 3" possibly from the header back. It looks nice but it is loud. Can/should I get a silencer and stuff that in the rear can?
Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:56 PM
My car sound nice with a 2.5" down pipe and 3in. Actually pretty quiet. I think it's loader in the car then outside. It's not even raspy.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search