How difficult is it to find a good machine shop? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How difficult is it to find a good machine shop?
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:02 PM
Just a generic question, but I'm considering leasing a machine shop that did a great job. It just to be too much time for the owner to manage. They have lots of great machines and are set up for anything from boat motors to motorcycles to cars, trucks and semi trucks.

thanks for your input
dennis

Re: How difficult is it to find a good machine shop?
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 12:40 PM
I need a lot more info. before I can even remotely answer that.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:41 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I need a lot more info. before I can even remotely answer that.

X 11ty billion

Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:31 AM
I am asking from the customers perspective. among the J body crowd what is the experience with the machine shops that you have used.the shop that I am looking at has the capability of surfacing heads and blocks and grinding crankshafts and a whole bunch of other stuff.I would be able to line home alone 4 home alone and all sorts of processes.
Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:50 AM
I think you need to consider your local needs, not the j-body community. Few are going to want to pay to send something large like a head or block coast to coast for some surfacing or a crank grind.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:26 PM
MasterFlight wrote:I would be able to line home alone 4 home alone and all sorts of processes.

I'm confused....so, Macaulay Culkin is working in this machine shop? What are his qualifications exactly?

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:49 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:
MasterFlight wrote:I would be able to line home alone 4 home alone and all sorts of processes.

I'm confused....so, Macaulay Culkin is working in this machine shop? What are his qualifications exactly?

now THAT is funny! I guess i was too busy to proof read, eh?
Friday, January 24, 2014 8:47 PM
Sparkey05 wrote:I think you need to consider your local needs, not the j-body community.

I agree 100%. Machine shops shouldn't specialize in one type of platform. They lose business that way. Personally I've never had any trouble with any shop I've been to. And I doubt they would have done anything special for me if I told them what kind of car it was for.

If you pick up the shop with a decent customer base I'd say it's worth your while if you want to put the effort into it.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:34 PM
I am asking from the customers perspective. among the J body crowd what is the experience with the machine shops that you have used.the shop that I am looking at has the capability of surfacing heads and blocks and grinding crankshafts and a whole bunch of other stuff.I would be able to line home alone 4 home alone and all sorts of processes.
Friday, January 31, 2014 4:20 AM
Most reputable machine shops can do all of that...

I assume you mean line hone / line bore the main bearings in the block?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, February 01, 2014 1:36 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Most reputable machine shops can do all of that...

I assume you mean line hone / line bore the main bearings in the block?

Yes, and square the deck and cylinder bores at the same time.
d

Saturday, February 01, 2014 1:43 PM
well, 9 out of 10 machine shops either do @!#$ty work and or take 45 years to get even the smallest stuff done. its really up the in the air as far as quality. just give one a shot...

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search