Port and polish head/ stroker kit - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Port and polish head/ stroker kit
Monday, December 23, 2013 6:00 PM
So I've posted a lot about boosting and trying to add power to my ln2 my research led me to about $8000 worth of turbo kit,installation , and tuning so I scratched that of the picture so I decided to got with port/polished head and a stroker kit (chevycavalierworld.com) I figured spend $4000 and do all motor..... I should be around at least 200 hp or more.... I would like for ur guys tips on this or if I can get it cheaper to boost it just that the turbo kit alone will cost over $4000

[carphotos.cardomain.com/images/0016/22/90/16022209_large.jpg]

Re: Port and polish head/ stroker kit
Monday, December 23, 2013 6:53 PM
Where did you come up with $8000? Should be way less, especially if your goal is 200HP. I don't know much about the LN2 capabilities, but I would think it could make 200HP on the stock engine, as long as its in good running order. I would even say $4000+/- could probably get you a built motor, few supporting mods and +300HP... Turbo's usually are always cheaper in the long run to make power. find some LN2 build threads.... You may spend up to $8000 or more in the long run if you include other mods, wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, tranny upgrades, exhaust, misc stuff, etc..... but these are all mods that a guy would buy whether he went turbo or n/a

Heres one right now in the boost forums, its a bigger build, probably more than you would want to do? Boosted 2200 Build

Do you have any more details on your car, year, 5 spd or auto, how many miles, mods you already have done???

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires
2005 Mazda 3 GS Auto- Wifes car
2006 Cobalt SS/SC - Intake, 2.5" Exhaust, GMPP Brakes, Solid Mounts, Ported S/C - Sold
1991 GMC Sierra - Lifted on 38.5" Swampers, Too much to list off. For Sale
Monday, December 23, 2013 7:28 PM
Monday, December 23, 2013 9:12 PM
Rick wrote:Where did you come up with $8000? Should be way less, especially if your goal is 200HP. I don't know much about the LN2 capabilities, but I would think it could make 200HP on the stock engine, as long as its in good running order. I would even say $4000+/- could probably get you a built motor, few supporting mods and +300HP... Turbo's usually are always cheaper in the long run to make power. find some LN2 build threads.... You may spend up to $8000 or more in the long run if you include other mods, wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, tranny upgrades, exhaust, misc stuff, etc..... but these are all mods that a guy would buy whether he went turbo or n/a

Heres one right now in the boost forums, its a bigger build, probably more than you would want to do? Boosted 2200 Build

Do you have any more details on your car, year, 5 spd or auto, how many miles, mods you already have done???
its a 2000 I have done a aem intake,suspencian,clutch,fuel management chip , cat back system 2.5 header back
Attachments
image.jpg (307k)

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:14 PM
michael greene wrote:
Rick wrote:Where did you come up with $8000? Should be way less, especially if your goal is 200HP. I don't know much about the LN2 capabilities, but I would think it could make 200HP on the stock engine, as long as its in good running order. I would even say $4000+/- could probably get you a built motor, few supporting mods and +300HP... Turbo's usually are always cheaper in the long run to make power. find some LN2 build threads.... You may spend up to $8000 or more in the long run if you include other mods, wheels/tires, brakes, suspension, tranny upgrades, exhaust, misc stuff, etc..... but these are all mods that a guy would buy whether he went turbo or n/a

its a 2000 I have done a aem intake,suspencian,clutch,fuel management chip , cat back system 2.5 header back
170,000 miles that's the downfall

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:21 PM
Philly D wrote:You should be able to build a fairly decent budget turbo kit for about $2000

Then its just finding a tuner or learning for yourself.

A port and polish and stroker kit I doubt would get you to 200whp.

The 2200 can very easily handle 200whp with some boost and its going to be the cheapest option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Pontiac-GMC-2-2L-T3-Flange-Cast-Iron-Turbo-Manifold-/261358985756?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACavalier&hash=item3cda35a21c&vxp=mtr< /a>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIAL-38mm-External-Wastegate-Real-/191006516251?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c78e0241b&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIKE-NEW-Garrett-M24-T3-45mm-Turbo-/321281699783?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acde1afc7&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Tial-Q-50mm-BOV-BLUE-Blow-Off-Valve-MILD-STEEL-Authorized-Tial-Dealer-/271349430789?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2dafba05&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Blue-Polished-2-5-Aluminum-FMIC-Intercooler-Piping-Kit-DIY-Pipe-Kit-/171200655010?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dc5aaea2&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-FULL-ALUMINUM-TURBO-27X5-5X2-5-BAR-PLATE-FMIC-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-/180843152359?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1b1783e7&vxp=mtr< /a>

There is just about 10 min on ebay looking up decent parts and a good kit for you. Better parts and deals can be found very easily. If you want to make power on the 2200 boost it.
so is this kit trust worthy I hate to spend the money and install it and something fails on it

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:57 AM
Eco swap and turbo out the door for under $8k...

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:25 AM
I made around 200 whp with low boost on a stock motor for almost nothing.

Probably less than $1500. It depends on what your're comfortable with running. To me, eBay turbo parts are acceptable for light duty (lower hp stuff, less than 250) so long as you make sure to maintain everything. Hell I have seen name brand turbo's get torn to shreds from people who dont know what theyre doing.

I am making about 300 on my setup right now (might be more, but im being conservative) running 22-25psi through an ebay 50mm that I have had for 30-40k miles.

When you start adding boost to the motor, it negates the purpose of an ecoswap unless you're looking for something like 500+hp. IMO the added expense of the l61 could be used toward turbo parts.

Also, a well maintained LN2 will be fine no matter the miles IMO. I had 120 or so when I took apart the stock motor and it looked brand new on the inside.

Get the basic parts for a turbo kit for the motor, boost the stock motor and make sure its tuned well. That will give you 200hp easily and very inexpensively.

The problem is when that 200 just isnt enough anymore, and you start looking to increase. On a stock motor you should be fine to about 275whp as long as the tune is spot on.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:43 AM
^Im going to have to agree.

While a eco swap is only about $500 the 2200 can handle a fair bit stock.

The only nice part about a eco swap is then you can supercharge it for about $1200-1500.

So say for $2500 you can be boosted and making all the way up to 250hp fairly easy with a good tune. Not to mention you get away from having to the custom fab work you would with a turbo kit. Just bolt on and go.
Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:39 PM
I'd go with the stroker kit first... And if that's not enough for you, then add the turbo. But watch-out!... Long strokes & high boost levels don't mix well for longevity, from what I've seen with the 2.5L-turbo Mopars. Yeah, I know: "Mopar ain't Chevy!"... But some things trans-send makers & breeds.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:21 PM
Swap a Saab lk9 and be done. Turbo is already setup forged internals. Engines are dirt cheap and you are ready to go. Just need a tune then.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:26 PM
Do you have any more details on your car, year, 5 spd or auto, how many miles, mods you already have done???its a 2000 I have done a aem intake,suspencian,clutch,fuel management chip , cat back system 2.5 header back 170,000 miles that's the downfall

that's slightly over half the miles on my 95 2.2/5 speed
I have another engine and transmission being "built" aka gathering parts as I can afford them. I am an aircraft mechanic and have been building engines since 72. I have turbos i could use but am going naturally aspirated just because I want to. I'm expecting 225 hp (per Mad Jack's computer simulator). Don't anyone hold your breath waiting for me to get done.

dennis
Friday, January 24, 2014 6:05 AM
I'm a little confused as to why, if power is your goal, you would dump $4000 into an LN2.

I have no hate for the LN2. I've owned 3 of them (2 Jbodies and an S10) and put collectively 500,000 miles on them. Aside from a recalled head gasket on the S10, the only other issue I've had is leaky valve cover gaskets.

That being said, I would do a motor swap before pouring money into an LN2. You could spend $1000-1500 on any number of swaps that would get you closer to your power goal before you add any mods, and then have plenty left over for mods.

Do an ECO swap, an LD9 swap, or a V6 swap, and every one of those would have far more potential with less money overall to reach your goal. Anyone who knows me on here knows where I'd lean, but I'll just throw the three suggestions out there and leave it at that.

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:38 AM
I don't see why motor swapping is even considered for this.

1) 200hp is not asking much of any boosted 4cyl
2) $4000 isn't needed to make 200hp on any jbody unless you buy very expensive parts
3) if the op has enough ability to swap a motor, then a turbo kit should be well within the scope of ability.

I get that the ln2 is a dog, and had I not purchased a lot of parts before I knew better I would have some iteration of an ecotec under my hood. That said, the ln2 on boost has proven just as capable as the dohc motors with the same overall work.

If I owned an ln2 and wanted 200-250 hp I would definitely not swap it out knowing what I know now anyhow. 200hp is easy and the potential for an almost undrivable car (tq steer) is there with a set of forged pistons/rods and a cam (all of which you would do to an l61 anyhow, or for about the same money as the forged Eco long block before other parts needed for a motor swap). Boost is a pretty good equalizer, and the parts cost about the same money. Looking for 500+ is about when you really need to look at dohc I think. Now I haven't finished my build yet because of time constraints, but I intend to get to or close to 500 on my setup this year.

If the goal is n/a power, drop the ln2 off a cliff and light it on fire lol.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, January 24, 2014 7:25 AM
Matt, he's looking for 200 WHP, not CHP. Personally, I think he'd have a better setup with another motor.

My main point was that dropping that kind of money into an LN2, IMO, is a complete waste.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search