Intermediate pipe flange help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Intermediate pipe flange help
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:28 PM
A few months ago I scored a Vibrant cat-back from a 2001 Cavalier for my car, but have lazy’d out installing. I tried breaking loose the ˝” bolts connecting it but broke the heads out of 2 of the 3.

My goal is to do it all myself and with just some stainless hardware. I have thought of drilling out the bolts, and using stainless nuts/bolts/washers for re-connection. The top bolt looks like it would be pretty difficult to get at though. Possible? If this works I would just need a Walker 31369 flange gasket?

I considered using a stainless coupler and clamping it together with stainless clamps, thoughts?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41951/overview/

Or how about a formed band clamp to connect both pipes, seems a little more 'unsturdy' though, allowing flex movement and such.

Thanks.
Darren

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Re: Intermediate pipe flange help
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:55 PM
Had the same issue on my 90 integra. I just cut the flange off on the engine side took factory exhaust off and got pipe that would fit over my factory exhaust and inside my new. Then took two clamps and score

I Love My J ♡
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 9:38 PM
Your best bet is to use that flange with a new gasket.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:57 PM
James Cahill wrote:Your best bet is to use that flange with a new gasket.

How would you recommend I do it? Break the other head off, cut a portion of the OE exhaust off ( before rear independent suspension ) and try to pull the intermediate pipe out? I don't really have access to any torches or such, just PB Blast/Aerokroil and patience pretty much.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:44 AM
You've gotta get those bolts out of there somehow. Keep spraying them and maybe use a punch and a hammer to punch them out? You could buy a small butane torch from lowes or home depot. It's not the heat you need but it'll help a little.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:42 PM
I'll try something over the weekend. Think I could squeeze a sawzall in-between the connection and cut the bolts up? Punching them out would be pretty easy at that point.

If not, it will be replaced with a coupler.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:27 PM
I did a bit of research and resulted in the intermediate pipe being only 2".. So, the cat-back is 2.5", Should I get one of these 2" flange kits and cut the OEM flange out and fit this in with an adapter? In that situation, the 2.5" vibrant midpipe will bolt right up to the 3 point style flange and it should work.
2" universal flange kit.

Don't want to give up and say screw it and have a shop do it but its coming to that point. Its not the money being spent on labor its just I feel its something simple I can handle, but this flange stuff is quite frustrating. Guess that is what makes it a challenge right?

Sunday, February 02, 2014 6:16 AM
Yesterday went to an exhaust shop and the extracted the 3 bolts and replaced with new bolts in about a half hour, charged me $20.00. Win! Guess it was wise to go and try having them removed. Could have spent $40 in stainless hardware. Now I just need stainless nuts/bolts. Going to try the install today.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 6:25 AM
Nice glad you got it worked out cheap.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 02, 2014 1:18 PM
Got it installed and it sounds great, to me. Very happy with the outcome. Shot some videos so i'll add them on later to Youtube. Found out by re-measuring its actually 2.25" not 2.5, so my mistake. Just need to get some stainless steel hardware ( flange bolts/washers/nuts, bolt/washers/nut for muffler clamp, and stainless steel 2.25" clamp ) and it will be good to go and its there to stay.

Y3llowCav wrote:Nice glad you got it worked out cheap.

Same here!

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:34 AM
Here is an exhaust video for anyone interested.

Vibrant Exhaust, 2003 Cavalier Ecotec 2.2

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search