full boar muffler vs pacesetter? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
full boar muffler vs pacesetter?
Saturday, March 08, 2014 1:08 PM
so now i have full pacesetter exhaust. pacesetter headers, highflow cat, pacesetter catback exhaust muffler and all. im considering taking off the pacesetter muffler and putting on a fullboar from what i heard it sounds better. anyone own one? also which one would fit/sound best on a 2004 2.2 cav. most i see on the site are offset/center. theirs only 1 center/center. i believe i need a center/center muffler for the 04 without extra welding?

Re: full boar muffler vs pacesetter?
Saturday, March 08, 2014 2:28 PM
What sounds best is highly subjective and depends on many different things like pipe diameter, resonator length, muffler size, muffler baffle/packing type, tip type and engine mods.

Saturday, March 08, 2014 5:09 PM
I had the same Pacesetter setup for 4+ years. Sounded like complete crap to me, especially under cold starts. Once it warmed up, the sounds would mellow out a little, but still raspy under throttle. I finally got an entire new exhaust setup 3 weeks ago. Custom longtube header, ZZP highflow 200 cell cat, ZZP 24" resonator, and Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (offset-in / center-out) all connected with 2.5" 304 stainless steel tubing. It sounds amazing. Dead silent with no rasp even under full throttle. I know the ZZP 24" resonator is helping quiet things down a bit in conjunction with the muffler. The shop I had working on the car didn't have a problem with the offset-in / center-out muffler. There is plenty of room to work with towards the rear of the car after you get past the rear suspension.
A pre-bent system like the pacesetter wont directly connect to the muffler, but it shouldn't take much but an extra bend or 2 to line it up.
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:54 AM
I would just put a Borla ProXS in it and be done. Quality muffler, deep clean toned sound. But as mentioned, your description of better may be different than mine.

'03 LS Sport 5spd, Amsoil fluids, Vibrant cat-back, 5% 3M color stable tint, Z24 trunk lid

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 8:58 AM
RicoCav wrote:I know the ZZP 24" resonator is helping quiet things down a bit in conjunction with the muffler.

THIS. All you need to do for it to not sound like trash is run a nice, big resonator. I'm using one from a trailblazer, sounds pretty good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHTyHTqd7k

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search