Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build - Page 6 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build
Friday, April 24, 2009 7:47 PM
The reason for the coating on everything is the NASCAR guys use it so I won't beef and also the stock pistons that came out of my engine had the skirts dry film coated. The thermal coating on the piston tops, combustion chambers, valve faces and exhaust ports keep all the head of combustion pushing on the piston and keep the exhaust speed up since it doesn't cool as fast. This in turn spools the turbo faster, it's similar to the effect of Jet -Hot coating exhaust parts to keep the heat in the pipes instead of radiating into the engine compartment.

Saturday, April 25, 2009 4:22 PM
Ok, so this past weekend i was meant to get ALOT more accomplished then what actually happened. Unfortunately i was called into work on my day off (friday) and that just ruined my whole "wanting to work on the car" mode, and i really only did a couple things on the engine, BUT i got some really good news from a couple people which made up for it.

UPDATE
Finished drilling and tapping all the oil holes, and stud holes for the 2.3L oil pump conversion, and mocked everything up on the block before i take it to the machine shop on monday (was meant to happen Friday).

I got my header back from getting ceramic coated on Thursday.

and i started to modify the coolant holes on the 086 head, to match the LD9 head gasket.

and the best news was that Ron Seibenick was able to find another set of Quad 4 cam blanks and gave me the chance to purchase them before he listed them on Q4F. HG2's, here i come

I'm also just waiting on lifters, Two .075" thick Cometic MLS head gaskets, and bronze valve guides from Karo.

Plans for the following week:

Take the block to get bored out, oil drive gear pressed onto the crank, then rotating assembly balanced.

Two weeks from now:
take head with bronze valve guides to Forrest and Forrest Racing, have them flowbench the head and fix up any inconsistancies in the ports flowing ability, install the new valve guides/springs/retainers.

Slowly but surely, this @!#$ is getting done, and i couldn't be happier. It's obvious the goal of having the engine in the car to be broken in for the first week of May, isn't going to happen because i'm waiting on too many parts.

New Goal: July 1st

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:32 AM
UPDATE:

I got a box!!.....with 2 more boxes inside!!!!

The specs on what is in these boxes

yum!

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:47 AM
Cams..................yummy!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, May 11, 2009 10:20 AM
nice...its coming along nice and what rating is that ceramic coating ?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:34 AM
03lssportblue wrote:nice...its coming along nice and what rating is that ceramic coating ?

2,000*

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:40 AM
Thrice . wrote:
03lssportblue wrote:nice...its coming along nice and what rating is that ceramic coating ?

2,000*

very nice

im looking at that same coating for my turbo manifold once it gets made

Monday, May 11, 2009 3:11 PM
you lucky BASTARD!!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmmm hg2's for the win.

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.
Monday, May 11, 2009 7:22 PM
Looking good and nice parts~!

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:07 AM
DOHC_tuner wrote:Looking good and nice parts~!

Thanks man! Your build seems to be going pretty smoothly with an ultra rare unused 086 head! Colour me jealous

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:37 AM
^^^^ raf can get them brand new, man. its no secret lol. get ahold of him

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:55 AM
Holy hell has it been a while since i've got in any parts..i feel like i'm going through withdrawl lol. But, i just got in some stuff i figured i'd share.

UPDATE:

I just managed to get in my custom Head gasket and Bronze valves guides today, from Karo.

I have a bit of news about the build. It won't be finished and in the car for even longer than July 1st because i have come to the conclusion that this is a project car and that you're meant to take your time and do things right!

So instead of the new engine being done this summer, i have switched gears into just boosting the stock engine for the time being since i already have 90% of the gear needed to drive the fuggen thing.

So i ordered a Bullseye T-3 .55A/R SS housing for the Borg Warner, and next year i will be upgrading to something more fun in terms of size of compressor wheel and high end grunt.

Sadly Bullseye doesn't actually make a turbine housing for my S251 any bigger then .55A/R, even though they advertise a .7A/R on their site.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 10:21 AM
ZOMG, before I read through the pages, who made your turbo header and where did you get it coated at? What color is that? lol

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:53 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:ZOMG, before I read through the pages, who made your turbo header and where did you get it coated at? What color is that? lol

haha, it's Fetter's ooooold header that he sold to Brian and the rest of Team Green, then Brian auctioned it off over on quad4forums.com and i bought it off of him. It originally had an uber small dump tube and 35mm Tial flange, so i lopped that off, opened the hole up and welded on my own 1 7/8 dumptube to a Tial 44mm V-band.

I then got it 2000*F Flat Black ceramic coated at a shop near me for $120 (I'm in Canada lol, you should really just go with Jet-Hot if you're looking into getting a header coated)

Hope that answers everything lol.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 12:11 PM
^^ Lol I knew that header looked familiar and was Fetters but I didnt want to speculate I just was wondering about the coating and what color, im not looking into getting it done since my turbo, dp, and mani are already jethot coated. I just never seen that color before. Dammit I wish I knew about that color before lol

Keep up the good work man.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:19 PM
"It's been a while"...that's starting to seem like the norm for me now lol.

I had the car off the road for 2 weeks to take car of some much needed upgrades which consists of:

Bull stage4 clutch install
Aluminum control arms with Prothane kit install and new balljoints
TTR tranny mounts
TTR lower dogbone mount (i didn't do the upper becuase i ran out of steam and just wanted the damn car back on the road lol)
Oil change to Royale Purple synthetic 5w-30
Tranny flush with Royal Purple Synchromax
Reverse bled the clutch *THANK YOU CHRIS FOR THE HELP!!*
New pads and rotors, and bled the rear drums (ugly as hell coloured fluid)
Relocated the Kinetik HC1400 to the trunk (need to upgrade from 4Awg power wire to 2Awg though, i'm having huge current draw issues)
And made a short ram warm air intake to use while i break in the Bully, then i'm finally going turbo after i pass 1000km of staying under 3,000RPM lol

Now onto pictures!

and my bigass filter

Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:07 PM
oh man i have always have been and always will be a fan...

but damn, i had no idea this entire time you had a sunfire LOL not that its a bad thing, just never knew anything about the car you were doing this all to

and the color on the header doesnt look flat black to me, it looks gunmetal/greyish and sweet. i think thats what david has wood over, as do i.

is that an alumium flywheel??

and holy crap.. you actually have that engine cradle/holder tool that holds the engine up in the bay? i need to get me one....

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.
Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:20 PM
Wow, you have a lot of stuff going into that...looks like it'll be a lot of fun once it's done. Keep up the good work.

btw, I love the jackstands
Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:45 PM
Thrice . wrote:

Is it just me, or is that flywheel all aluminum... no steel surface for the clutch?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:45 PM

Monday, August 24, 2009 6:58 AM
im liking where this is going and borg warner turbo FTW

Monday, August 24, 2009 7:37 AM
Im with Brad, never knew this was all going in a sunfire! Badass build either way, youll love the bully stg4.

Monday, August 24, 2009 11:49 AM
z yaaaa wrote:oh man i have always have been and always will be a fan...

but damn, i had no idea this entire time you had a sunfire LOL not that its a bad thing, just never knew anything about the car you were doing this all to

and the color on the header doesnt look flat black to me, it looks gunmetal/greyish and sweet. i think thats what david has wood over, as do i.

is that an alumium flywheel??

and holy crap.. you actually have that engine cradle/holder tool that holds the engine up in the bay? i need to get me one....

hah, thanks Brad! I never knew you were a fan of the build, i always figured you were hanging around hoping i'd give up and sell some cams to you lol

Nope, it's a stock flywheel for the Getrag's, just properly machined for use with the new clutch

The engine cradle I welded up myself in 15 minutes lol. Figured it would do a better job holding the engine then just the lower dogbone mount and upper mount would all on their lonesome.

Quote:

Wow, you have a lot of stuff going into that...looks like it'll be a lot of fun once it's done. Keep up the good work.

btw, I love the jackstands

Thanks! I hope this is all worth it when it's done lol. Sadly this is only the stock motor, the built engine won't go in untill next summer now
I just hope 10psi on th stock engine can keep me happy till then.

haha, yeah the jack stands are hidden behind the paint cans lol. The paint cans are only holding up my brake calipers.

Quote:

im liking where this is going and borg warner turbo FTW

I'm liking where this is going to...it's just going to slow lol! And yes, Borg Warner for the win!! Next season will be a bigger Bullseye unit

Quote:

Im with Brad, never knew this was all going in a sunfire! Badass build either way, youll love the bully stg4.

Thanks, and yeah i went sunfire since they get almost no love lol. I'm already loving the stage 4 lol

Monday, August 24, 2009 12:59 PM
Soo is this car daily driven? If so FTW!! My stock 100k motor handles 10psi just fine and is daily driven haha, but a built motor will be in by next spring

Monday, August 24, 2009 1:40 PM
icemike89 wrote:Soo is this car daily driven? If so FTW!! My stock 100k motor handles 10psi just fine and is daily driven haha, but a built motor will be in by next spring

Yup, this bitch is my Daily Driver lol. I go easy on it mostly, but i do love to hammer it ..... i miss revving above 3 grand though lol...stupid clutch break-in....

This engine has 170,000ish KM (111,00ish Miles) on it and still runs strong. For an N/A 4 cylinder, it's a torquey son of a bitch lol.

10psi should be just lovely lol. I'd assume anywhere from 230-250whp with a good tune from Sweetness. (PLEASE SAY YES CHRIS, YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!!!)

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:47 PM
I figured out my electrical problems, they are all resolved now and i'm commencing with the clutch break-in, and i start machining the flanges for the WG and Log manifold tomorrow.

F\/CK i can't wait for boost...i just need SOMEthing to keep me occupied lol

Into clutch break-in: 470km

Left of clutch break-in: 530km

Pedal feel: Amazing!!!!

Everyone should reverse bleed their clutches, much easier and much better results! .....oh, and buy Bully (support us Canadians!)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search