Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 8 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:11 AM
Thanks Cody,

Video wasn't to great on the sound part. Sorry. Next video I hope to get a buddy to video me driving the Cavy from his car while following me. Better view and sound should provail.
Was going to raise the rear 1/2" & adjust the bump stops. Next road trip is to the scale before the snow flies. If lift doesn't work, then the fenders will get rolled.

Keep you guys posted

Cheers,

Monday, November 04, 2013 4:55 AM
Mikey G wrote:Thanks Cody,

Video wasn't to great on the sound part. Sorry. Next video I hope to get a buddy to video me driving the Cavy from his car while following me. Better view and sound should provail.
Was going to raise the rear 1/2" & adjust the bump stops. Next road trip is to the scale before the snow flies. If lift doesn't work, then the fenders will get rolled.

Keep you guys posted

Cheers,
Yeah, we've all seen an in-car video of a J-body...I want to see a good walk-around with the hood open, and some vides of the car driving by, doing a burnout, etc...things where you can see it performing as a RWD monster....that's the good stuff.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:36 AM
Yeah, I know. I did take a walk around in front of my house, but the sun and wind fudged it pretty good. Didn't think it was worth posting. I'm not the greatest when it comes to quality videos. Reno gigs have been occupying quite a few weekends and the amount of daylight is getting less and less. I have taken care some issues with the cavy and now ready for another test run. There is an industrial park not too far from my house and is deserted on sundays. I looking forward to doing the cavy's first burnout / peel-out, weather permitting. Get in a good walk around with the engine running and hood open. On two separate occasions I passed by the police observing the traffic. They didn't look twice at the cavy. It has happened to all of us where, without choice, you end up side by side with the police at a seemingly long red light. The cavy's idle is some what noticeable to the trained ear, but even a gentle acceleration will strike curiosity. I have to be very careful with the law enforcement people. An inspection could be disastrous.

Cheers

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:14 PM
Mikey G wrote:I have to be very careful with the law enforcement people. An inspection could be disastrous.
Why? Do you expect trouble with the vehicle passing inspection?

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 6:16 PM
Not really. BUT - In Quebec, you're not allowed to increase the number of cylinders the car was ever optioned with. This is the only issue that doesn't follow the rule book. If the inspector happens to hate hot rodders. He can always file the car as dangerous and remove the plates. This can be fought. but I will have a very short end of the stick. I have personally been there with a 67' Pro Street Camaro. The best is to draw as little attention as possible. Have fun when the time and place is appropriate. I don't anticipate trouble. I had two separate pull-overs with the Pro Street. They only wanted to see the car. Didn't ask for the reggie. One day while I was with a buddy parked at a road side ice cream joint. A police officer passed by, turned his lights on, pulled a 180, looked at the car. Spent 3 years fighting the system, but my Pro Street Camaro never saw the road again. All it takes is one police officer who has a grudge.
In case you're wondering, I have a outstanding clean driving record and never had altercations with the law. This did nothing to help the case.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 10:13 PM
BAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA my powered sub for the PC was freaking out watching the vid. im going daaaaayyyyyyyym nice v8 rumble there hahaha

i gotta be honest i skipped through most of it after the first couple minutes of driving lol was there a spot where you got on it at all??

now, just my opinion here but i feel as though she needs the side moldings. and definitely an 00-02 z spoiler. that flat one just looks so damn bland.

and whats up with the front poke? every rwd conversion ive ever seen has the rears poking WAY too far out making it look so goofy. yours is the exact opposite haha

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 4:29 AM
The video was for my very first drive with the cavy. I didn't want to push things too much. Eyes and ears were looking for rattles, leaks, brakes, steering, etc. Never got it over 4000. I need to get a timing light and verify the timing as it runs on a bit when I shut it off. I have corrected the short term issues and ready to roll again. This Sat will be heading to a scale to weigh it. I will take a walk around video with the hood up and idling.

Currently have my eyes open for a good deal on a set of side moldings. No rush though. Rear spoiler stays. If it's bland. Then the sleeper effect is working. Thanks.

As for the front poke. Not too sure. Gona blame it on the Nissan mags / tire size combo because the hub to hub width is the same as original. Can't move the strut, not without major rework to the towers. Custom knuckles ? Not likely. There is about a 1 degree negative camber. Perhaps when the car gets properly aligned, more negative camber will be put in and help the poke.(?) Handles quite well as is though.

Cheers

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 9:00 AM
Mikey G wrote: I have to be very careful with the law enforcement people. An inspection could be disastrous.

Cheers

Would it be possible for you to get an engineer to certify it so you wouldn't have to worry about incidents like your old camaro?
Here in Nova Scotia, I'm 90% sure that I'm going to have to get an engineer to come certify mine so I don't have to worry everytime I take the car out(then again, mine is pro-street so it's a little more noticable haha).
Could be something to look into, but then again I don't know Quebec and their way of doing things.
I'm also interested to see the numbers from the car's weigh-in !

I didn't know you were Canadian either haha, that's funny. That makes three v8/rwd cavvys I know in the works right now,
If you get bored, check out "Jensen race engines" on facebook, he's got a Phase 1 cav in the works for the street currently too haha.
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:14 AM
With my camaro I had an private automotive engineer come to the house. Took pics and gave a full report to the Quebec engineers. It was rejected. I offered to do a complete road test - pylons, braking etc. At my cost. Tow the car to them in Quebec City for a personal look see and drive test. All refused.
Logic does not apply here. I've seen many bad home made 3 wheel bike death trap conversions get approved as road worthy.
Gonna have to drop the camaro subject because the shakes are starting again......
So you think I'm a funny Canadian do ya eh? That's ok,
Sorry I don't do Facebook. I'm a simple kind of guy Any other links I can use?

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:15 AM
My GOSH, I don't check the performance forum for a few months then BAM, slapped in the face with a mighty V8 cavalier. Nice Job!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:11 PM
That's cause it's a sleeper

Thanks,

Quote:

2012 numbers
328 HP
306 TQ

Can you offer a summary ?

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:34 PM
Mikey G wrote:That's cause it's a sleeper

Thanks,

Quote:

2012 numbers
328 HP
306 TQ

Can you offer a summary ?

A summary of what I have (had) done to the car?

306 TQ
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:39 PM
yea - numbers are quite good.

Or do you have a build thread somewhere?

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 12:57 PM
Yep I had a build thread but mainly consisted of showing the parts I was collecting.

My cavy made that power on a built automatic 4t40e trans. The trans blew on the dyno so I did a manual swap in it, as it sits now.

It has

Fully built 2.4L
GT3071R Garrett turbo
Log turbo manifold
Custom sheet metal intake with 75MM LS1 tb
crap load of fuel mods with 1100 cc injectors
HO cams out of a 92 Olds Achieva
3" downpipe and exhaust

Thats about the meat of my engine mods. More in my registry

Car is currently under the cover because I couldnt keep it started after the manual and 2000 wiring harness swap.

306 TQ
Wednesday, November 06, 2013 1:15 PM
Sorry to hear this isn't working out too well for you.

I did a lot of reaserch to see what would have been the best bang for the buck along with overall drivability. The front wheen drive trannys can't really handle too much torque. $$$$ for a good enough build. Stand alone engine management isn't too cheap either. My hats off to all who have chose this path. - Really

You see my choice. Damper to tail shaft was $8500. Should be able to endure periods of idle / traffic with no issues. Extreemly simple engine management system. The back up plan is IF the car gets into inspection issues, all the mechanics can be transferred to many other projects. Minimal loss. As time passes by and I get more knoledgable about the 4 cylinders and better ways to get a good 400 streetable HP, I would definately consider swapping the V8 for a 4.

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:36 PM
Mikey G wrote:
So you think I'm a funny Canadian do ya eh? That's ok,
Sorry I don't do Facebook. I'm a simple kind of guy Any other links I can use?

Well, as a fellow Canadian, I can say we're all funny aha.
but what I meant to say earlier was three canadian v8/rwds going on now***, haha(which kinda surprised me), I hate that I can't edit my posts on this forum.
Well, I'll just post his thread on v6 and some pictures incase you're bored.(and yes, apparently he's going to drive it on the street)
http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/my-new-project-t118377.html

but on topic of your car, how much do you think your car is going to weigh?
Saturday, November 09, 2013 1:38 PM
WOW, this is one sweet ride. I truly and sincerely hope that he does not even come close what I went through with my Camaro.
And you as well Cody. There were some periods during this escapade I needed medication.

Scaled the car this morning
1520lbs on the front.
1480lbs on the rear.
3000lbs total
12 gallons of fuel in the tank (1/2 a tank) and me - 180 lbs included. Interior left to put in with the door guts This is higher than I hoped for but still satisfied. My reggie says 2332 lbs (1060 kgs). I think this would be on the light side because I don't think I added 700lbs. Not complaining. it is what it is. love my car.

Hope you all enjoy the video

Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:33 AM
I have to say I love this V8 swap the most. Reasons because it looks the most stock.

From the outside you really would not know.

Stock coolant tank big plus for me.

I LOVE IT!!

FU Tuning

Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:41 PM
um are you effing kidding me? this thing weighs 3000 WITH DRIVER and a god damned full iron v8 with rwd conversion!?!?!?!?!!

ill just put it into perspective for you, sir. my silver 2000 z24 with automatic and fully loaded was 3150 with me in it. with 5 spd conversion is was still 3050 with me.

3000 pounds with driver for this build is not only incredible its un-believable! heavy wheels/tires, stock hood/trunk and everything you have done to make it as OEM-type as possible just blows my mind.

even the weight distro. is epic.. thats damn near 50/50!! with a fiberglass/carbon fiber hood you would basically be 50/50. thats insanely awesome!

imagine the kind of runs its going to make with that much power. it should be a mid ten car with traction.

i simply cannot get enough of this car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:45 PM

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Monday, November 11, 2013 4:46 AM
Thanks Guys,

Keep in mind the only interior in it during the weigh in was the dash and the driver's seat. The doors are empty as well. There are no climate controls. This was deleted in favor to get the motor as far back as possible in fear of a heavy front end and better the front / rear weight distribution. I also want to add in a bunch more sound insulation. This will certainly add at least 250 - 300 lbs overall.
The close to 50/50 is very obvious when accelerating, especially in the corners. The traction on those hand-me-down dry tires was still very good. The 3:42 diff ratio may not have been the best choice for a great 1/4 mile pass. But then again, I built it to be a daily driver, and that I will.

Cheers

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:26 AM
In awe man! What John said, I love this one the most because it appears to be stock from the outside. I love out you tucked the exhaust tips up and under.

Flawless man.

I wanna see this thing in action and a burnout!

306 TQ

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:37 PM
all I can say is giggidy. great job keeping her clean.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:53 AM
Thanks Guys,
Will be taking it to the track for a 1/4 mike test in the spring.
Keep you posted on some interior and possible upgrade pics throughout the winter..

Cheers,

Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:24 PM
Any updates?

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Saturday, March 01, 2014 12:28 PM
I was able to get the interior assembled

I have the wiring under the dash left. Have to add the relays and switches for the electric locks and windows of the alternate doors I found.

I need a center console with the window switches in.... The front strut brace was sent out to be converted to stainless and glammed up a bit..
Looking forward to a day at the track..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search