98 Cavy with a 2200 manual - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Cavy with a 2200 manual
Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:20 PM
Hey I am not sure if I am in the right spot but I am looking to build up my J, I currently have a stock 2200 engine but I want to rebuild it for higher performance, I heard if done right with turbo and other mods I could possibly get close to 500HP out of this....if that is so I would like to know the brand names of the items. Knowledge is power but my knowledge is not getting that far, Please any help would be appreciated thanks in advance!

Re: 98 Cavy with a 2200 manual
Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:20 AM
Well how much do you want to spend? To get 500 horsepower out of a 2200 is going to be thousands of dollars that's not including all the supporting mods you'll have to do so the car can handle the increase, or any suspension setup, or exterior appearance mods, or any interior stuff like racing seats and harnesses or anything like that. All said and done you'll probably spend bare minimum $8k and that's probably a very low number more than likely you're in the $10k + zone.

So if you want to keep going consider your car is it worth putting that much money into it? It it rusty? Mechanically sound? In good shape? You don't want to invest that much into a car that's not worth it.

Keep reading though! So you dont have that kind of money but you want to do something. Well for $1-3000 you can have a pretty good car with a decent suspension, brakes, exhaust, some engine mods and/or a tune for better horsepower/torque, exterior appearance stuff, and maybe even some interior upgrades (seats, headunit, speakers, etc).

It's all up to you. A brief word of caution though the 2200 isn't the best engine in the world to start with though.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE Sedan 2.2l Ecotec 4 Speed Auto.
Re: 98 Cavy with a 2200 manual
Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:32 AM
I dont recommend looking for 500hp without having done anything with power/performance on this platform. Right out of the box 500 is not simple for any of the motors j's come with.

Im not at 500 (might get there, but doubt it) and there is quite a bit in the car already. I have a thread on it in Photos&Media.

These cars dont weigh much, so there is not as big of a need for massive power to be competitive.

My suggestion is to be realistic about what goal you have vs how much knowledge you have and how much you intend to spend. I didn't spend a whole lot on mine, but then again "a lot" is relative.

Before you do anything though, figure out how you intend to have the car tuned. Without a tune you are better off just leaving it stock.

Im more than happy to help provide any insight to guys looking to make power; but not on a goal that I personally think is too lofty.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search