Eco timing install mistake, need input - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco timing install mistake, need input
Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:14 PM
I think I am just going to take it apart and redo the timing to be sure, but figured I look for more input before I dig in. This is on the L61 Ecotec BTW.

I put the timing together some time ago, pretty confident it was all set right. All new parts, fresh from the machine shop block. Valves were ground and seated. The engine is on a stand, so its much easier than when its in the car. I went to turn the crank over and just as something slipped I remembered that camshaft chain tensioner wasn't installed. Enter a long list of expletives of your choice here.

Visually the cams and crank are in the right place. put a little compressed air in through the spark plug hole and I have a small amount of air coming from the intake side, nothing on the exhaust. It should be on the compression stroke, so no air from either side should be coming out.

Any ideas short of taking it all apart again?

Re: Eco timing install mistake, need input
Monday, July 28, 2014 9:24 PM
If you turned it over by hand, you should be ok. I did mine while trying to start the car and that is how valves get bent.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:08 AM
Honestly if it's on a stand I see no reason not to just pull the timing cover off and re-time. You can re use the gasket and it'll be one less thing you have to hold your breath over on the first start up.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:12 AM
x2^^

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:46 AM
Yeah I just said screw it and took it apart. All the valves seated themselves tight as soon as the cams were out. I started the reassembly but didn't have time to finish. Will update again after its all re-timed.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 5:43 AM
Cinny wrote:Yeah I just said screw it and took it apart. All the valves seated themselves tight as soon as the cams were out. I started the reassembly but didn't have time to finish. Will update again after its all re-timed.

Sweet. sub'ed for update

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:36 PM
WTH! I took out my cams, reset TDC just to be sure, reinstalled the cams. I only have air at the exhaust side now. All the links are in the correct locations. crank is around 5, cams are at 10 and 2. I've done this enough in the past it should be a walk in the park, especially the first time I ever did it, took forever then.

could it be something to do with these are the turbo profile? Even then they should be closed at TDC. I'm putting down the tools for the day before I break something. Grr

Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:53 PM
Just for laughs I put the leak down tester on Cyl #4, and its clamped tight as a frogs butt, the lobes on Cyl#4 are at 10 INT and 2 EXH. Cyl#1 looks like it getting ready to open the INT side.

Friday, August 01, 2014 2:46 PM
I turned it over once today, cly#1 is at TDC. it was near silent when I turned it, I think its going to be okay.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search