Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build - Page 15 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Thrice's Turbo TC/Q4 Hybrid Build
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 11:47 AM
Thrice . wrote:Dunno why GM put that stupid little restrictor in there, but it's coming out while I'm cleaning it.

My guess would be because it was probably easy to burn rubber in a 5.7 truck pulling out from a light. That probably helped people pull out smoother.

Keep up the good work sir

"In Oldskool we trust"

Saturday, May 17, 2014 1:03 PM
Managed to get some time to disassemble the TB and clean it/modify the throttle plate.

Just gotta find time to finish the intake manifold now.

Also been looking into MSII v. 3.57 for fuel and POSSIBLY spark. Not too sure how well my BCM and ECU will like not having input/output control. Still doing research on how to make them cooperate.

Sunday, May 18, 2014 5:55 AM
Dam that was one caked tb. Looks good now.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 6:56 PM
Didn't get much time to work on the car, but what time i did have was pretty much dedicated to reading my Haynes manual thoroughly on reassembly. Next chance i get to work on the engine, should be much faster assembling everything.

GM trq specs for the main bearing caps are 15FtLbs.....wtf? ARP says 80FtLbs with their molylube and studs sooooo....

I'm getting tired of helping my buddy with his dads house, and not working on my build. Getting close to telling him i'm done lol.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:48 PM
I looked up the ARP recommend torque....ARP indeed says 80ft/lbs with their molylube.

I honestly do not recall what mine are torqued to.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:43 PM
Hmmm looks slow

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Tuesday, June 03, 2014 9:32 AM
MillerBilt Racing wrote:Hmmm looks slow

Haha i know eh.

So i got in my flange(s) for the intake. Figured i'd buy 2 just in case i'm incompetent

Then i realized the company i bought them from screwed up their process.

They managed to make the bore 92mm instead of 75mm

So minor setback (again) but it will all be figured out in a week or so. I contacted the company i bought them from (theboostdepot.com) and it's being rectified free of charge.

Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:07 AM
I haven't been in town for a couple weeks because i was exhibiting in Calgary at the Global Petroleum Show in the BMO Centre, but when i got back i was having some withdrawal and found a spare hour to touch some engine

At this pace i should be done by sometime mid 2027 lol.

Saturday, July 05, 2014 9:25 AM
Yay progress..

Saturday, July 05, 2014 7:33 PM
Thrice . wrote:

Haha i know eh.

So i got in my flange(s) for the intake. Figured i'd buy 2 just in case i'm incompetent

So minor setback (again) but it will all be figured out in a week or so. I contacted the company i bought them from (theboostdepot.com) and it's being rectified free of charge.

I could use an adapter like that

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, August 04, 2014 11:53 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:
Thrice . wrote:

Haha i know eh.

If you cover the shipping, you can have them both. PM your address and i'll get a shipping quote if you're serious.

I got in the proper flanges finally.

I'm in the middle of putting in the head studs when i realized i discarded the 2 brass sleeves for the studs, when i tore the engine apart years ago.

Will i have issues without those 2 brass sleeves for the studs? Should i acquire another set, or will I be ok without them?

Hoping to have some sort of answer relatively quickly as possible for someone knowledgeable on here. Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 04, 2014 6:43 PM
I'm pretty sure those are for alignment and you would be ok, but do not go just on what I say.

FU Tuning

Saturday, August 09, 2014 11:41 AM
This is going to get REAL interesting fitting this fuker in the engine bay....

Unfortunately my plan to clock the compressor housing downward won't work without a spacer on the T3 flange moving the turbo down some, because the housing hits the header. I didn't account for this turbo being THAT much larger then the S200SX i was originally planning on using.

Good thing is this is only mock up for now. The engine will be broken in NA, keeping it as close to stock as possible (including stock injectors and tune) in hopes that will aid in me passing emissions.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 3:51 PM
Made some alignment sleeves for the block/head. I had some running around to do today so i didn't get much else accomplished sadly.

Next weekends list of STD's (Sh1t.To.Do.) includes:

-Drill hole in oil pan/weld -10 AN fitting for turbo drain.
-Either machine or buy a T3 flange spacer, as well as mounting studs/nuts for the turbo.
-Spray headgasket with copper spray, mount the head, and finally torque the son of a bitch down.
-Start final assembly with gaskets and stuffs.

I'll leave it at that for now so it's at least something attainable.

Side note, Karo's head stud kit didn't come with torque specs for the nuts. Anyone know them for the LD9?

Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:53 PM
turbo...and firewall.....good luck man.

ALSO< SWEET AS HELL LOOKING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:54 PM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, August 15, 2014 11:19 AM
since it wont fit just sell it back to me

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:35 PM
That setup looks awesome. Gotta love the BW turbos.

Monday, August 18, 2014 10:27 AM
Thrice . wrote:
Blwn LD9 wrote:
Thrice . wrote:

Haha i know eh.

If you cover the shipping, you can have them both. PM your address and i'll get a shipping quote if you're serious.

I will pass. I need the correct size as well if I am going to use them on my HO intake.

I got in the proper flanges finally.

I'm in the middle of putting in the head studs when i realized i discarded the 2 brass sleeves for the studs, when i tore the engine apart years ago.

Will i have issues without those 2 brass sleeves for the studs? Should i acquire another set, or will I be ok without them?

Hoping to have some sort of answer relatively quickly as possible for someone knowledgeable on here. Thanks in advance.

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, August 18, 2014 10:30 AM
Thrice . wrote:Made some alignment sleeves for the block/head. I had some running around to do today so i didn't get much else accomplished sadly.

Next weekends list of STD's (Sh1t.To.Do.) includes:

-Drill hole in oil pan/weld -10 AN fitting for turbo drain.
-Either machine or buy a T3 flange spacer, as well as mounting studs/nuts for the turbo.
-Spray headgasket with copper spray, mount the head, and finally torque the son of a bitch down.
-Start final assembly with gaskets and stuffs.

I'll leave it at that for now so it's at least something attainable.

Side note, Karo's head stud kit didn't come with torque specs for the nuts. Anyone know them for the LD9?

My block does not have the sleeves either because of the 1/2 head studs. I have been told I shouldn't have a problem

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, August 18, 2014 11:09 AM
Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one who went "oh man that turbo is a lot bigger than the mock up"

This looks awesome I'm happy to see it finally coming together!!

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search