SS/SC injectors help - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SS/SC injectors help
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 5:47 PM
I recently got a LE5 intake manifold for my 04 ecotec and I'm going to install the ss/sc injectors, but my eyes are burning from reading every post and forum I can find, and its about 80% say its a direct swap and about 20% that they are 1/4" too big for the 03-05 fuel rail. I do have a 02 eco fuel rail sitting around, would it be better to use this? I know I need a tune and I'm going to order the TB adaptor for the manifold I just want a answer on swapping the injectors. thanks for any input you guys and gals can give this rookie about this.

Re: SS/SC injectors help
Wednesday, October 01, 2014 4:03 AM
I've done a lot of research on this topic so I'll clear this all up for you:

1. With exception to the very illusive 36lb/hr GMPP supercharger kit injectors, there is no readily available direct plug and play option for 03-05 jbodies.
2. Stock 03-05 jbody injectors are 64.5mm in length.
3. Stock 02 jbody and cobalt injectors are 60mm in length.
4. BOTH jbody(ecotec) and Cobalt SS injectors utilize GM's Multec2 wiring harness connector.

So, you can use Cobalt SS injectors but as mentioned the issue is that they are 4.5mm too short (and that IS an issue). To resolve this issue you can either swap to the 02 jbody fuel fail OR contact Jason Norwood or his associate at http://www.grasshutperformance.com/ for custom injector cups that replace the stock cups in the head and allow you to run 60mm injectors with an 03-05 rail. I've personally used these cups and they are nice machined aluminum pieces. Either way, the Cobalt SS injectors will plug into the stock harness and work.

Another thing to keep in mind about Cobalt SS's is that they came with 3 different motors depending on year. You are looking for a 2005-2007 Cobalt SS 2.0L Supercharged motor. Some came with the 2.4L LE5 motor that your newly acquired intake manifold came from so be careful you're getting the right injectors from the right motor. 2008-2012 Cobalt SS's came with a 2.0L Turbocharged motor designated LNF, and were direct injection; obviously that won't work for you either.

Some useful information:
You CAN run 64.5mm injectors in a rail meant for 60mm injectors (in jbodies and cobalts) but you CANNOT run 60mm injectors in a rail meant for 64.5mm injectors.

I made a thread a little while back with most of this information and some pics, it may be interesting for you to read. Unfortunately the injectors referenced in that thread don't come in any sizes smaller than 60lb/hr so they're going to be too big for your purposes:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=191512&t=191512

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, October 01, 2014 4:04 AM

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, October 01, 2014 6:42 AM
AMAZING, just what I was looking for! I can't thank you enough!
Wednesday, October 01, 2014 2:42 PM
This still puzzles me as we have run those exact injectors in 03+ cars with nothing more than the factory cups.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 01, 2014 7:15 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:This still puzzles me as we have run those exact injectors in 03+ cars with nothing more than the factory cups.

More power to you, but you won't ever catch my trying it.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search