Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 10 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:04 PM
I cant wait to see some vids of the "power getting away" from you.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 12:38 PM
Mikey G wrote:Hi Guys (and Gals),
Looking into getting a video cam I can mount to a baseball cap. I saw one at Costco, and thinking of picking it up for the next road trip.

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:I cant wait to see some vids of the "power getting away" from you.

Don't forget - if, on your next road trip, your son happens to be in his car next to you, and, you did happen to pick up the cap cam, that he should be wearing the hat from time to time so ya'allz can get a rolling shot as well.

Just sayin' . . .

Thursday, June 05, 2014 3:00 PM
Funny you should mention this Tony as my son and I were discussing this last night Keep you all posted

Here are some updated shots of the finished interior.

Rear seat looks and functions as the original

If anyone is looking for something specific - let me know..
Cheers

Sunday, June 08, 2014 1:11 PM
hey look... i have a GM concept car. yep, they put a v8 in a cavalier with OEM look. lol thats truly the look and feel of this car.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, i see a possible party foul.... is it just me or does the bottom of the passenger side door's paint look blue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 08, 2014 1:12 PM

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Sunday, June 08, 2014 2:29 PM
That it does Brad. lol

The car turned out amazing!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, June 08, 2014 5:30 PM
Thanks Guys,
The blue you see is not missing paint, it is LED lighting. I added them under the doors for additional courtesy lighting at night. I seen this on some modern cars and decided to add them when I was putting the doors back together. Not liking them very much and thinking of deleting them.
Cheers

Monday, August 11, 2014 3:01 AM
Hi All,
I have been driving the Cavy here and there when I have the time. I've managed to put 460 kms (285 miles) so far. Rear suspension should probably be raised up another 3/4 - 1". Possibly roll the inner lips. Other than that the car drives great. The driving included some good portions stuck in traffic with no heating issues. Tracks very straight and stops on a dime. I di get a Gopro and managed to make a lame burn out video. I do apologise for the lack of the sound quality. You can't really hear the motor / shifting. Already looking at an upgrade for this

Hope you enjoy

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:02 AM
Not too bad. You can hear the engine pretty decent. Just need some kind of windscreen for the mic to get rid of the extra noise. A small piece of foam over the mic hole should do it without killing the sound pickup.

Now you need to stick that camera on someone else's car and have them follow you while you tear it up!

Great job, man. I love this car.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:24 AM
Mike, where did you get your shift boot, and ebrake boot?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:27 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:Not too bad. You can hear the engine pretty decent. Just need some kind of windscreen for the mic to get rid of the extra noise. A small piece of foam over the mic hole should do it without killing the sound pickup.

Now you need to stick that camera on someone else's car and have them follow you while you tear it up!

Great job, man. I love this car.

Thanks Mr. Quick

The foam does help a bit but doesn't compare to a external accessory mic. Some one suggested to put the camera outside and mount the mic under the hood. or on the dash just before the window opening. The wife's car is being monitored by the insurance for the next little while in an attempt to get a discount. Anything more than a mild acceleration will ding the program. My son has a car that would keep up but lives a bit far and also works evenings and weekends. I believe for the best video experience, there should be a passenger moving the camera to catch a better video in the other car. Something will fall in place soon.

Keep you guys posted....

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 7:36 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Mike, where did you get your shift boot, and ebrake boot?

I tried to find something on the net, but was coming up empty handed I had them done by a local shop who did automotive upholstering. He took the retaining clips off the old torn parts and made replacement using real fine charcoal leather. He said he had 4 hrs of work @ $40.00/hr + materials $180.00
I saw the red stiching on the net and thought it added some cool factor.

Monday, October 20, 2014 7:19 PM
Some small update
When I acquired the V8 it was a TPI (Tuned Port Injection). I had put a carb on it for simplicity during debugging the car. I have restored the TPI, replaced all the sensors, modified it with upgrades to help maintain the power and torque. I'm planning on installing it this winter. I know this is a bit old school and won't be making more power. Just looking for better drivability and some additionally eye candy.

Cheers

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:23 AM
Mike, that's sweet. I would have gone TPI from the get-go. I have a special place in my heart for the old-school TPI, although I would upgrade to the mid-90's Vortec V8 electronics, to get the sequential injection.

I've built quite a few TPI engines, and they will make excellent power, IMO still superior to a carbed engine, because you can make HP without losing as much torque and driveability. I've built a 500hp stroker out of a 91 Y-body roller block, and it idled like a stock engine. That was only using the old Accel DFI system, which had very limited tunability compared to today's systems.

I look forward to seeing (and hearing) the car after this install. Keep the updates coming!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:40 AM
Where did you get that gauge cluster from?
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:04 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Mike, that's sweet. I would have gone TPI from the get-go. I have a special place in my heart for the old-school TPI, although I would upgrade to the mid-90's Vortec V8 electronics, to get the sequential injection.

I've built quite a few TPI engines, and they will make excellent power, IMO still superior to a carbed engine, because you can make HP without losing as much torque and driveability. I've built a 500hp stroker out of a 91 Y-body roller block, and it idled like a stock engine. That was only using the old Accel DFI system, which had very limited tunability compared to today's systems.

I look forward to seeing (and hearing) the car after this install. Keep the updates coming!

The TPI was intimidating when all was being considered. I also love the look and low speed torque capacity the TPI has. My motor is not designed nor built as a screamer. When I started the conversion to FI, I couldn't find anyone who was marketing a kit that would use the upgraded GM ECM and take advantage of the sequential injection for the TPI. I would have had to upgrade to the latest SBC with cam and crank sensors. couldn't locate any in the local bone yards. I would have needed a lot of custom help too ($$) I will be using the OBDII with SD (MAP instead of MAF). I did review using aftermarket stand alone ECMs but the cost was way up there when some effort / tuning on my part will get my goals achived.
I hear a lot of 383 TPIs on google and there seems to be a distintive sound. I read more so with the air cleaned mounted right on the TB. BTW, the air cleaner will get located in a cooler place at a later date. Want to get the TPI installed and running and also considering a flip forward hood. The mechanics of the hood may have a conflict of interest with the routing of the intake tubing. When done I will update my walk around video with engine running with a drive by as well.
Thanks

Cheers

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:09 PM
Christian Mellett wrote:Where did you get that gauge cluster from?

Hi Christian,

I made it. I gutted pretty much everything. Cut out and glued in new supports from 1/8" MDF in the original bezel, then painted it satin black. The clear plastic is not there anymore as the bezels from the guages were in the way. I kept whittling away at the white plastic until it all cleared. If your interested, I can post some pics and additional details

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:32 PM
Mikey G wrote:The TPI was intimidating when all was being considered. I also love the look and low speed torque capacity the TPI has. My motor is not designed nor built as a screamer. When I started the conversion to FI, I couldn't find anyone who was marketing a kit that would use the upgraded GM ECM and take advantage of the sequential injection for the TPI. I would have had to upgrade to the latest SBC with cam and crank sensors. couldn't locate any in the local bone yards. I would have needed a lot of custom help too ($$) I will be using the OBDII with SD (MAP instead of MAF). I did review using aftermarket stand alone ECMs but the cost was way up there when some effort / tuning on my part will get my goals achived.
I hear a lot of 383 TPIs on google and there seems to be a distintive sound. I read more so with the air cleaned mounted right on the TB. BTW, the air cleaner will get located in a cooler place at a later date. Want to get the TPI installed and running and also considering a flip forward hood. The mechanics of the hood may have a conflict of interest with the routing of the intake tubing. When done I will update my walk around video with engine running with a drive by as well.
Thanks

Cheers
Yeah, the SFI setup does require some additions. When the first Vortech V8 came out, a friend of mine who used to own a shop that specialized in EFI conversions, particularly TPI, managed to get the Vortech electronics to work on a non-Vortech block. I know he used a custom crank trigger, but I'm not sure what he did for the cam.

The TPI definitely has a great growl with the K&N filter right on the TB. That's how my first setup ran. Eventually I routed for CAI, but that growl was pretty mean sounding.

The speed density system (I'm assuming you'll use the 7730 ECM) is really easy to get going on those. Good luck. Can't wait to see it!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 4:21 AM
Yeah, the SFI setup does require some additions. When the first Vortech V8 came out, a friend of mine who used to own a shop that specialized in EFI conversions, particularly TPI, managed to get the Vortech electronics to work on a non-Vortech block. I know he used a custom crank trigger, but I'm not sure what he did for the cam.

The TPI definitely has a great growl with the K&N filter right on the TB. That's how my first setup ran. Eventually I routed for CAI, but that growl was pretty mean sounding.

The speed density system (I'm assuming you'll use the 7730 ECM) is really easy to get going on those. Good luck. Can't wait to see it!

Yeah, the 7730 ecm is what i will be using. Mem-cal will be re-programmed to suit my engine. In the early spring Ryan from Sinister Performance will be doing this for me. He already has done this particular application on a vehicle he had. He will also be taking care of the fine tuning to dial it in. I will be right there too. I've never done this and want to learn it. I might have to go over the tom of the rad with the CIA as there isn't much room going sideways. Either way it will be pretty custom and I want the TPI installed first. I'm sure some minor tuning will be needed to compensated a bit. The strut bar may have some interference with the TPI as well. Preliminary measurements show less than a 1/4" of clearance over the top of the plenum. I picked up some stainless tubing and plan to make another strut bar. The one there gets the job done but is quite plain-jane and will also look even more ugly when the TPI goes in.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 6:28 AM
Speed Density is the way to go.
Then down the road if your crazy you can supercharge or turbo charge the car.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:12 AM
You bet and all part of the big plan.
Twin turbo will be after the upgrade to IRS.......

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:29 PM
Mikey G wrote:I might have to go over the tom of the rad with the CIA as there isn't much room going sideways.
Look at the C4 and 3rd gen Camaro TPI inlets. They both go over the radiator, and you may be able to use some parts from them.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:33 AM
How have I missed this?

Very nicely done sir. I am a fan indeed.

DRIVING FORCE FABRICATIONS

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:13 AM
Thanks and Hello All,

Some small updates. TPI is now installed. alt in relocated a bit. Fuel lines are re-done. Fuel system is tested for leaks and adjusted. Going to finalize with a sealed air filter box to complete the CAI and a new stainless shock tower brace. Getting the TPI wiring harness integrated under the dash will be tackled over the holidays. That will be a big job as the dash will have to come off to do it right. Hope you like.....

A big Happy Holidays to all

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:41 AM
Looks great Mike!

This car just keeps getting better and better.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:01 AM
Mikey, great work, everything looks awesome! I'm sure the speed density system you're going with will work well.

Mr. Quick wrote:That was only using the old Accel DFI system, which had very limited tunability compared to today's systems.

I may call on you one day about this. I just took a first look at that program recently for a setup my father has on a 76 stingray.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search