LSJ Valve Cover - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LSJ Valve Cover
Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:06 PM
I recently won a LSJ valve cover on ebay for 40 bucks shipped. I know there are going to be those that say it can' t be done, but I am going to try. I. So here are the plans. If I mess it up oh well its only 40 bucks

I am going to cut up an L61 valve cover to get the part that I need to fill in the area on the LSJ where the exhaust cam comes out. Also with the use of a couple well engineered adaptors I will be able to make the l61 coil pack bolt down nice and snug.

I know there are a few that have tried this. If any of you could offer advice I would appreciate it. I will be getting help on this from FreqZ, and a few others from here in AZ.

Re: LSJ Valve Cover
Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:48 PM
Might as well just get an lsj head.

Cutting and welding just for a different valve cover?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:04 PM
not wanting to dig that far into a hybrid build. I love the lsj valve cover, and to me a few cuts and a few welds are not that big of a deal.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:24 AM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:I am going to cut up an L61 valve cover to get the part that I need to fill in the area on the LSJ where the exhaust cam comes out. Also with the use of a MSD box I will be ditching the l61 coil pack and wont have to worry about it fitting.

Fixed.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:33 AM
have fun.

make sure you have a good welder weld that piece in.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:29 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:have fun.

I've got a buddy who does a lot of aircraft welding... aluminum and all sorts of other stuff. he'll be (hopefully) able to do it at his work. he does amazing work, which he has to, being inspected by the FAA and all.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:02 PM
Tinkles wrote:
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:I am going to cut up an L61 valve cover to get the part that I need to fill in the area on the LSJ where the exhaust cam comes out. Also with the use of a MSD box I will be ditching the l61 coil pack and wont have to worry about it fitting.

Fixed.

are you experianced with MSD stuff for the l61. If you are and can lead me in the right direction, i will look into it.

I know there are sceptic of this, but its not something i just said oh ill do it hahaha. I have thouugh about this, and addressed the only two issues i know of...If i find more issues when the valve cover arrives, then we will take care of those issues when we can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:03 PM

Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:14 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:have fun.

why you sounding so skeptical PJ?

Thursday, June 25, 2009 2:33 PM
I'm not being skeptical, I'm being realistic.

that thing has to be dead balls for the o-ring to seal, and it has to be a GOOD weld in order to not leak oil (read: no pourus welds)
also I think the grades of aluminum from the L61 to the LSJ covers are different.. so i'm not sure if that will effect mating them together or not.

but if the guy is certified, then you should be in good hands.
how you're going to clean it up to match the sand-cast look of the LSJ cover might be a bit rough unless you smooth the whole thing.

frankly, swapping the LSJ head might be easier lol
and not only do you get the cooler looking cover, but you get a stronger head too (no real difference between the two until about 500hp though)

Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:14 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:I'm not being skeptical, I'm being realistic.

that thing has to be dead balls for the o-ring to seal, and it has to be a GOOD weld in order to not leak oil (read: no pourus welds)
also I think the grades of aluminum from the L61 to the LSJ covers are different.. so i'm not sure if that will effect mating them together or not.

but if the guy is certified, then you should be in good hands.
how you're going to clean it up to match the sand-cast look of the LSJ cover might be a bit rough unless you smooth the whole thing.

frankly, swapping the LSJ head might be easier lol
and not only do you get the cooler looking cover, but you get a stronger head too (no real difference between the two until about 500hp though)

Swapping the head is too much work and too expensive for what I want to dig into RIGHT NOW! The difference in the casting/material probably won't effect me much. I will have the cover powered black when its all said an done, and if the hook up through Jarett can't or won't do it, then I have talked to my welder at work, who is FAA certified aswell.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:56 AM
Well the valve cover finally showed up. So I can start figuring things out and getting this done. I looked at a few things real fast, and as far as I can tell after the cutting/welding is done there shouldn't be any other problems. The gaskets look to have the same seat style, and modding up a bracket to bolt the coilpack down doesn't look like it will be that hard...

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 5:35 PM

Overall its in really good shape. The Crankcase vent nipple is on the back though. No big deal. Just another way to be different.

FLATNESS!!!!! I love it!!!

Fuel rail cover mounting tabs.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:07 PM
Well I thought a lof of people would be interested in this. I guess I was worng. Anyways I will keep this as an update thread, and let everyone know how it turns out.
The IDI/coilpack mounting issue is gonna be a bit more complicated then I thought at first. But we will come up with something. The first two pics should the difference in how the stuff mounts on each cover.

Underside of L61 cover

The underside of the LSJ valve cover. Nothing here will hinder my attempts to put this on my car.

The LSJ valve cover does not have the area that will contact the block around the spark plugs, besides the seal area. That is no big deal thoughAnd it also does not have the extra little tabs/nipples, whatever you wanna call them that are shown in the L61 cover.

L61 cover showing extra tabs/nipples.

The two side by side. You can see what needs to be done to make the LSJ work.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 1:15 PM
Good luck dude, this is actually pretty interesting

Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:10 PM
I've seen an LSJ head swapped into an opel, and they used the L61 ignition pack by removing the top of the black plastic piece, then putting the coil pack in, and using the LSJ center cover to hold it in place.

Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:25 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:I've seen an LSJ head swapped into an opel, and they used the L61 ignition pack by removing the top of the black plastic piece, then putting the coil pack in, and using the LSJ center cover to hold it in place.

I just aquired a spare l61 coilpack. I will look into this and see how it all goes...Thanks for the input PJ. Your a huge asset to the j world.

Monday, July 13, 2009 10:32 AM
also think we came up with a way atleast for testing , to take care of the half moon missing in the LSJ cover when used on a 2.2 , honda , toyota , mitsu , use a half moon shaped hard rubber piece to fill in a spot similar to the LSJ cover , so its just a matter of finding 1 big enough to fit , or trim down to fit , then a little silicone to make sure it seals up

Friday, July 17, 2009 2:14 PM
Got the coil pack modded yesterday to fit, PJ hooked me up with a few plug part numbers, and now all i need to do is shave the cover on the inside a hair for the coilpack to work and I should be ready for a test fit.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:52 PM
I know this is an old thread, but i haev been diggin and searching for a better solution, and have found someone that makes Aluminum gaskets for Jaguars. I am gonna order one, and swap out the rubber piece hopefully when i put my new valve cover gasket on. I'll post the info on them when i can find it on my computer. Its here somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:52 PM

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:03 PM
takin a little while eh? lol

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:37 PM
no no no no the cover has been on for a long while now. lemme find a pic or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:50 PM

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:33 PM
That is really slick, nice work!

Sig'less since '02!
Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:09 AM
mmm I love that
but how did you get over the other cutout on the cover? (the one cutout is for the PS pump, the other is ??? )

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:44 AM
Jay Corkit wrote:mmm I love that
but how did you get over the other cutout on the cover? (the one cutout is for the PS pump, the other is ??? )

The other cut out is for the lsj's cam sensor. Use a half moon filler piece from a dan/honda/dodge/whatever, or just cut and shape a piece of aluminum and have it welded in place.

Saturday, November 15, 2014 4:22 AM
I know this is an old post, you do you remember exactly which half moon you used? I found 1 on ebay for $4 for the Nissan RB series motors, but I don't know what the dimensions would be, and if it would fit.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search