TB options for LN2 - 3800 V6 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TB options for LN2 - 3800 V6
Sunday, November 23, 2014 4:44 AM
For those of you with more resources than I. I was wondering what differences there are in the typical early LN2 TB's and the same era (early - mid 90's) V6 TB's I.E. 3800 Series I and II engines. Do they share the same sensors, lack a sensor, have an extra one? Are they bigger or smaller, maybe the same size? I'm wondering because I have both an early LN2 and a 3800 Series II V6. I was debating picking up the M90 Supercharger that came from the factory on some GM cars with the V6, and for giggles.... am debating using it on the little project Cavi in my shop. I was already in the market for a custom intake manifold so I'm just gathering info on the bits I'm uneducated on. Worst case scenario I buy it soon and they won't hook up into the factory cavi harness and I just go ahead and put it on my Bonneville..... Thanx for any time and info on the subject!

Re: TB options for LN2 - 3800 V6
Monday, November 24, 2014 6:21 PM
So, you want to use an M90 on an LN2? The sensors should all be the same. Factory LN2 bore is 55mm IIRC, 3.8 is probably close to 65 or 70.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:01 AM
If it will fit, I was told it measures around 27 1/2 in with TB..... so yea....
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 11:00 AM
Factory bore on the ln2 throttle body is 52mm.
Friday, November 28, 2014 12:20 AM
I've been busy researching on the several different supercharger setups on the GM 3800 V6 platform. Based on measurements of the Eaton M90 it is 27 1/2 in from the pulley to the end of the throttle body. Which when measuring the stock location of the power steering pump puts the end of the throttle body in the vicinity of the brake booster.... but the earliest S/C setup on the 3800's is the 2nd and 3rd gen M62 eatons... Which luckily measure out to a little under 21 in's long with the throttle body attached. Hopefully when positioned based on pulley size, a mushroom style air filter will fit under the brake booster, or I could use smaller flexable tubing to relocate an air filter.

Let me know what everyone thinks... As far as I can tell any TB from these 3800's are all gunna be an improvement over the LN2.
Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:23 PM
I'm curious to see your manifold plans.

Monday, December 01, 2014 6:23 AM
Honestly me too! lol So far its all theoretical.....I have to gather the parts first... then plan it all out.... I know that the stock manifold measures somewhere around 14 in. a M62's from the pulley to where the TB mounts is a slight bit longer... and from what I've gathered for measurements... the TB's measure roughly 6 in. The power steering pulley is somewhere between 5-5.5in.. and the S/C pulley is around 3in. which gives me a few inches of slack... but depending on what the centerline of the S/C pulley's distance from the baseplate is will give me an offset to mount it from the head.... As far as the air filter.... A mushroom style is about all I can use.... the length of the setup pretty well puts the TB almost right under the brake booster..... Just have to get everything to line up and clearance out so everything has room to work. I don't run an a/c sooo that gives me a lot of wiggle room to space out the mani, just got to make sure I have room around the firewall.... Other issues I have ye
Monday, December 01, 2014 6:27 AM
Other issues I have yet to work out is getting a heat exchanger sorted i.e. placement ..... and, ultimately deciding which s/c to get.... If I get the m62 from a 3800 i'll have all sorts of issues... cuz it has an egr integrated on it... and coolant passages on the baseplate I will have to block and try and re-plumb... Still researching everything and trying to work out the best gameplan..
Monday, December 01, 2014 12:07 PM
I am so freaking confused by this thread. Are you trying to put the entire supercharger on the LN2 or just the throttle body off a 3800 (as the title leads you to believe)? Also in the thread above you said
"If I get the m62 from a 3800". The 3800 engine uses the m90 supercharger which is significantly lager than the m62, which comes off of a cobalt SS.
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 8:27 AM
I've been meaning to move this thread to the boost section. Yes, overall I am trying to use the whole supercharger from a 3800 V6.. I was just unsure if the throttle body would work with the stock LN2 sensors and wiring and whatnot. also the early supercharged 3800 V6's years 93-96ish were M62's its the 97-up that went to the M90.

Although I think after some more research I'm going to go in a different direction. The same M90 Eaton for the 3800's is a one piece body. So you have to use the throttle body from that vehicle.... Now I looked up the Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe... Its an M90 too, but it has a shorter body that has bolt holes that I could fabricate easy and make work better. Plus it will be easier if I remote mount it.... reguardless of heat soak.. it will work best and easiest in place of the alternator... All I'll have to do is fab 2 braces/mounts for the alternator and S/C then all I'll need to do is bend the oil dipstick tube and that's all there is to it.... beside getting the pressurized side sorted..... fuel, boost, tubing, possibly intercooling.... I will have to start little by little and decide where to go.
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 9:06 AM
Sound like so much less work to turbo it lol.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 2:47 PM
lol, well... maybe... but there's plenty of turbo'd ln2's.... how many supercharged? and honestly this setup isn't too much more complicated than a turbo setup... just requires a bit more thinking and planning out.
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:20 PM
Just having a boosted J body in general is pretty different lol.

I like the idea of a supercharged ln2; I feel like the goal would NEED to be to have a different setup and not just "xxx" horsepower because doing it for the power this way is just foolish.

I would also only do the m90. the m62 or mp62 seems like itd be a waste for the amount of work required. You might as well go big.

This is like the 12th thread about a roots on an ln2 using the same theory of the ps pulley area for it that ive seen since like 2005 and no one has yet done it. SOMEONE do it.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 4:03 PM
Lol yea, I know right!? Well that was my initial idea but I think Imma stray from the custom intake for the S/C though... not enough room. So I have done some measurements under the hood and I could possibly tuck it under the hood up front by moving the alternator down and remote mounting the S/C ontop of the alternator bracket. Just have to fab brackets and bend the oil filler tube around.... then I'm golden.... shouldn't be as hard as everyone thinks.. cost me less than a grand in parts and work.
Saturday, January 17, 2015 9:49 PM
Matt Linke wrote:I like the idea of a supercharged ln2; I feel like the goal would NEED to be to have a different setup and not just "xxx" horsepower because doing it for the power this way is just foolish.

I'm inclined to agree, as the hottest engines coming from Detroit currently are supercharged & involve some form of controlled "boost-bypass" for the sake of economy & emissions. Boosting like this may rob crank-power [when active] but will certainly help to see the best of both worlds with a "Double-Deuce". Now, imagine being able to selectively control that boost bypass....

BTW: A larger blower (M90 vs. M62) may take a little more effort to turn, but will have a better adiabatic state (Produce less charge-soaking heat) when setup to produce the same amount of boost, respectively.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search