Trouble re-installing Aeromotive FPR 13107 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trouble re-installing Aeromotive FPR 13107
Sunday, March 15, 2015 4:49 PM
Hello,
I was trying to re-install my Aeromotive AFPR (I believe part # 13107) this weekend, which I thought would be quick and easy, but am running into an issue.

As some background I have an 04 Cav ecotec and it used to be my daily driver, but with more miles on it and with having a family now I switched over to a new daily driver. So it's been a while since I've messed with it much. Anyway, I used to have this same Aeromotive AFPR on my car and then all of a sudden I was having issues with going lean under boost. After trying different things, I eventually switched back to the stock FPR and that solved the problem.

All was good for as long as I used it as my DD (a couple years or more). Then a while back I was going to get it back on the road and ran into the same (or similar) issues with it going lean under boost. I hooked my in-car fuel pressure gauge up to the schrader valve and when I would go under boost I could see the pressure drop from around 55-60 to around 40. The timing of the drop in pressure would correspond to the timing of the wideband reading lean, so I was thinking about at least trying to put the old Aeromotive AFPR back on after taking it apart to make sure nothing was stuck or something and putting it back together.

And that's where my problem comes in. When I try to put it back on, everything goes back into place ok, but when I try to tighten the nut that secures the AFPR to the return line it doesn't seem to want to tighten. It just spins or if it does start to catch, it doesn't tighten enough and then when I keep tightening it, it breaks free again. Also, the o-ring looks a little beat up as well, so I tried getting a new o-ring from Autozone (not sure if it's exactly the same as the one I had, but I tried a few).

I've tried turning the key a few different times to see if the pressure will hold and each time the pressure drops down within a second or two and the gas leaks out onto the towels I put to catch any. So it doesn't even appear to be close to sealing right.

I'm not sure if I'm missing a piece or maybe the nut's threads are shot (it hooked up ok to the stock FPR it seemed) or there's something wrong with the Aeromotive threads (doesn't seem like much there) or what, but can't seem to get it to take. I'm hoping it's just something simple/stupid, but was hoping someone on the forums might have some advice.

I'm attaching some pictures to help show what it looks like.

Thanks in advance,
John

Attachments
nut threads.jpg (144k)
return line out some.jpg (194k)
AFPR hooked up.jpg (179k)
Without Nut Attached.jpg (189k)
Inside of AFPR.jpg (73k)

Re: Trouble re-installing Aeromotive FPR 13107
Sunday, March 15, 2015 4:52 PM
One more picture attached.
Attachments
O-ring and AFPR.jpg (122k)

Monday, March 16, 2015 7:20 AM
Threads are stripped, looks like it was way overtightened. O-ring is also shot.
This fitting is stripped....badly.

This O-ring is toasted. WAY overtightened.
www.j-body.org/forums/download.php/2,140,484929/O-ring%20and%20AFPR.jpg

It sounds like your running out of fuel pump or injectors under boost. How much boost are you running?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, March 16, 2015 8:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. Are you saying the threads on the AFPR, the nut that tightens it or both? For the AFPR, is there a way to just get that black piece or would I have to buy a whole new AFPR?

I'm running around 13psi under boost give or take. The injectors are 60# (or maybe it was 62#, it's been a while). The fuel pump is stock. However, when I had been driving it before with the same setup it didn't go lean then so I was thinking the pump and injectors might be ok, but could they be slowly going bad over time? Are there any tests I should run to help narrow it down? Do you think it could be something to do with the FPR?

Thanks again.
Monday, March 16, 2015 8:23 AM
You "should" be able to buy a replacement black piece.

I think it is a failing fuel pump. Why do you have a AFPR? How are you tuning the car for boost?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, March 16, 2015 9:11 AM
I agree on the fuel pump as your issue.

FU Tuning

Monday, March 16, 2015 9:28 AM
Tuning using HPT. This details what I did:

How To: HP Tuners and GM Eco S/C, Fake 2.5 Bar

Believe I had got the AFPR in case I wanted to adjust the fuel pressure at some point, but it's been a while, so don't remember the specifics. If it is the fuel pump that is bad I may just go back to the stock FPR. I was just going to try this as a potential quick thing to check.

Are there any good tests beyond what I've done with monitoring the fuel pressure to confirm the pump is failing? So far it doesn't really seem to sputter or anything while going down the road. I think once it had a hard time starting. That being said, my driving of it has been very limited lately.

Also, do you have any good recommendations for a fuel pump for my setup or should I just stick with a stock one?
Monday, March 16, 2015 9:39 AM
I would get a W-body Racetronics pump with the foam sleeve to properly fit the cup.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, March 16, 2015 10:34 AM
Thanks for all your help, I'll check that pump out.
Monday, March 16, 2015 10:55 AM
Definitely agree with the pump being your issue. I've called aeromotive directly before and they were very helpful. I'm sure you can buy that black fitting that goes from the regulator to the stock line/nut. The threads on your aeromotive fitting are definitely shot.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:02 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Definitely agree with the pump being your issue. I've called aeromotive directly before and they were very helpful. I'm sure you can buy that black fitting that goes from the regulator to the stock line/nut. The threads on your aeromotive fitting are definitely shot.

What he said. Call AERO. I did when I ran into problems installing mine.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search