LD9 2.4 Twin Cam - Overview, Torque, Fluid, and Engine Specs - Page 2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LD9 2.4 Twin Cam - Overview, Torque, Fluid, and Engine Specs new
Sunday, June 24, 2007 2:24 PM
STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY STICKY

-Trailblazer SS - not so custom 6.0L - custom intake - custom tune
- (1) 2.4L on an engine stand (1) blown trans (2) good quad trans (1) eco trans = party

Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:16 PM
Stickies are overrated. http://www.j-body.org/faq//146/

I'll edit it later... but it's there now.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 10:19 PM
True - Stickies might be overrated.

But they also make so much easier of the board members to find the information. Instead of having to do a search - and skim thru dozens of related posts, just to find the information they're looking for.
Monday, June 25, 2007 5:43 PM
I don't think it makes a difference. Peope still post the same stupid questions over and over.... now the standard response (instead of "Search!!!!") is "Didn't you see the sticky at the top of the forum?!?!?!?!"

...j

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:30 PM
*JBO

Fst Cavy wrote:Hmm...I have 3 shortblocks in my garage, various years, all with flat-tops. My built motor had flattops as well.

and the dished vs flat top debate continues......

My 96, 97, and 98 2.4 blocks all had the dished pistons. The 99 and my 02 that I built had the flat topped..... I've never tried to look anywhere other then GM and Wiseco for pistons...... and I know GM has the years in their computer.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:30 PM
How do i figure out what year my engines are. I have two ld9's in my garage and I can't be certian what years they are from.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:30 PM
Do they have EGR valves and what are the casting numbers on the cylinder head?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, May 03, 2010 9:58 PM
why didnt this become a sticky

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:27 AM
Because it was added to the faq instead.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, May 05, 2010 9:50 AM
looking to put an older LD9 in a 2002 is this possible without switching wiring harnesses
Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:02 AM
Knock sensor is the biggest problem. Either weld a nut onto the block next to the stock location or modify the stock hole to fit your old motors knock sensor. Us EVERYTHING from your old motor: Sensors, injectors, intake manifold, and anything else off your old motor. Just use the new block, everything but the knock sensor will bolt right up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:04 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE

Thursday, May 06, 2010 10:28 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:^^Yup, my 99 has the flat tops..

Same here

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:00 AM
I REALLY need to have a mod update and edit this.

Also since the one link no longer works...this is the replacement.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/2485/rebuilding_the_gm_quad_4.aspx

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:44 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I REALLY need to have a mod update and edit this.

Also since the one link no longer works...this is the replacement.
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/2485/rebuilding_the_gm_quad_4.aspx

Shoot me what you want and i'll update it...

You can post a reply here with the exact post you want, and i'll copy and paste it on page one

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:45 AM

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:30 AM
I should get time soon to update this.

PRND321 Till I DIE
LD9 2.4 Twin Cam - Overview, Torque, Fluid, Engine Specs, and Swaps: Updated 09/11/12
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:25 AM
Version 2.0, Revised: 09/11/2012

This info only holds true to LD9 engines in J-bodies, unless otherwise stated. I did not write all this info. & I do not claim to. I did compile it and formatted it for all your viewing pleasure. I hope you all enjoy. This all pertains to the LD9 engine.

***Overview***
The LD9 Twin Cam was a 2.4 L Quad 4 variant with balance shafts, debuting in 1996. Bore was decreased from 92 mm to 90 mm and stroke increased from 85 mm to 94 mm for better torque, and power was increased to 150 hp. The LD9 engine received a minor update halfway through the 1999 model year that eliminated the EGR, increased the compression ratio from 9.5:1 to 9.7:1, and switched from low impedance fuel injectors to high impedance. The history of this motor lies deep within the quad 4 motor. The Quad 4 was a DOHC straight-4 automobile engine produced by General Motors' Oldsmobile division in the 1990s. It was a modern engine for the time, but was criticized for roughness. Balance shafts were added in 1995, also known as a transitional year from the quad 4 to the renamed TWIN CAM variant, in 1996 2.4 (LD9) the complete engine makeover was accomplished. The name is derived from the engine's four cylinders and four valves per cylinder layout. There was a single overhead camshaft variant that made production as well, albeit for a brief time. The Quad 4 used an iron block and an aluminum head. The Quad 4 debuted in 1987 and was replaced after 2002 by the Ecotec. Quad 4 engines were produced at Oldsmobile's Delta Township, Michigan plant. In recent years, it has gained a minor following in hot rodding circles as a period style engine (which looks like a 1930's Offenhauser twin cam unit).
One of the best known articles comparing the quad 4 and twin cam. Best Article Ever!

***Brief Engine Differences / Changes***
96 Model Year
*Engine had sightly different oil passages, and water-pump problems.
*Large starter
*One wire front O2 sensor
*Low impedance Injectors
*GM Part # 12465154 Version 1a no longer offered. Replaced with Part # 12462258 Version 1b
*Had EGR Valve
*Domed Top Pistons
*9.5:1 CR
*Large knock sensor
*Head Casting number is 683-18

97-98 Model Year
*Oil passages and water-pump problems lessen. Manufacture process improvements lead to less core shift in engine block.
*Large starter
*One wire front O2 sensor
*Low impedance Injectors
*Had EGR Valve
*Domed Top Pistons
*9.5:1 CR
*Large knock sensor, 12mm x 1.25, ACDELCO Part # 2134456
*Head Casting number is 683-18

97-98/99 Chevrolet, Pontiac J & N (LD9)(2.4T)
Part # 12462258 Version 1b
Application
1997-98 Chevrolet, Pontiac J (LD9)(2.4T)
1997-98 Chevrolet, Pontiac, N (LD9)(2.4T)
1997-98 Oldsmobile, Buick
1999 Pontiac N (LD9)(2.4T)
12462258 Version 1b replaces: 12465154 Version 1a

99 Model Year
*Small starter
*One "purple" wire front O2 sensor
*High impedance Injectors
*No EGR Valve
*Flat Top Pistons
*9.7:1 CR
*New oiling passages
*Small knock sensor, 8mm x 1.25
*Head casting number is 779.
*New style water-pump

00-02 Model Year
*Small starter
*Three wire front O2 sensor
*High impedance Injectors
*No EGR Valve
*Flat Top Pistons
*9.7:1 CR
*New oiling passages
*Small knock sensor, 8mm x 1.25
*Head casting number is 779.
*New style water-pump

There are two basic engine block designs for swaps and repairing. 96-98 & 99-02.

Looking to replace your 96-98 LD9 in your 96-98 j-body with no modifications. 100% plug-n-play!
GM Performance offers a re-manufactured engine: Part # 12465449
Core engines to look for / from...
BUICK SKYLARK (1996 - 1998)
CHEVROLET CAVALIER (1996 - 1998)
CHEVROLET MALIBU (1997 - 1998)
OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA (1996 - 1998)
PONTIAC GRAND AM (1996 - 1999)
PONTIAC SUNFIRE (1996 - 1998)
*Some 99 year LD9s from other vehicles other than J-bodies sometimes are the same as the above engine. IE. have EGR and the larger knock sensor hole.

Looking to replace your 99-02 LD9 in your 99-02 j-body with no modifications. 100% plug-n-play!
GM Performance offers a re-manufactured engine: Part # 12465498
Core engines to look for / from...
CHEVROLET CAVALIER (1999 - 2002)
CHEVROLET MALIBU (1999)
OLDSMOBILE ALERO (1999 - 2001)
PONTIAC GRAND AM (2000 - 2001)
PONTIAC SUNFIRE (1999 - 2002)
*Most 99 Model years are the same as the above engine. Grand Ams have no local sense to which motor they will have in 99.

Looking to replace your 96-98 LD9 in your 96-98 j-body with a 99-02 Engine. 90% plug-n-play!
First and for most, save all sensors , injectors, EGR, starter, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold...set it aside. You basically using EVERYTHING from your old engine, and swapping it over to the new engine. I mean gaskets and EVERYTHING. If you need any new "external" gaskets buy them for your model year, and not the model year of the engine. If you need new internal gaskets, buy them for your engines model year.
Man concerns / issues.
Knock sensors, Front O2 sensor, starter, EGR / Lack of EGR, and injectors / fuel rails.
First Knock Sensors....
Outside = 12mm x 1.25: 96-98 Style Knock Sensor
Inside = 8mm x 1.25: 99-02 Style Knock Sensor
Easiest thing to do is drill and tap the knock sensor hole on your newer block for the older 12mm knock sensor.
For O2 sensor. Use your original sensor, and use your original header / exhaust manifold. Ensure you use the correct gasket for your model year vehicle to retain the EGR function.
You can use either starter. IE the smaller or larger one. Most people just used the larger older starter.
Use your older 96-98 Low Impedance Injectors and fuel rail...99-02 are High Impedance Injectors. Your old rail will bolt right into place just fine.
Remember to reuse your older intake manifold and EGR system, and swap it over to your newer motor.

Looking to replace your 99-02 LD9 in your 99-02 j-body with a 96-98 Engine. 90% plug-n-play!
First and for most, save all sensors , injectors, EGR, starter, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold...set it aside. You basically using EVERYTHING from your old engine, and swapping it over to the new engine. I mean gaskets and EVERYTHING. If you need any new "external" gaskets buy them for your model year, and not the model year of the engine. If you need new internal gaskets, buy them for your engines model year.
Man concerns / issues.
Knock sensors, Front O2 sensor, starter, EGR / Lack of EGR, and injectors / fuel rails.
First Knock Sensor...Special thanks to ZYaaa "Brad" and Gary The Olde Guy
You'll need this adapter to make it plug-n-play. You can also find a unused bolt hole on the bolt near cylinder 1 or 4. On 99-02 engines the knock sensor is near the pulleys. On 96-98 engines the knock sensor is closer to the transmission.
Outside = 12mm x 1.25: 96-98 Style Knock Sensor
Inside = 8mm x 1.25: 99-02 Style Knock Sensor
You can order inserts from http://mscdirect.com part number 82496860 @ $4.05 for carbon steel or 02232361 @ $13.71 for stainless + shipping of course...

For O2 sensor. Use your original sensor, and use your original header / exhaust manifold. Ensure you use the correct gasket for your model year vehicle to eliminate the EGR function.
You can use either starter. IE the smaller or larger one. Most people just used the smaller newer starter.
Use your newer 99-02 High Impedance Injectors and fuel rail.... 96-98 are Low Impedance Injectors. Your old rail will bolt right into place just fine.
Remember to reuse your newer intake manifold to eliminate the EGR function, and swap it over to your newer motor.

I hope that all made sense. If not PM me or ask here about it!

***General LD9 Engine Data***
Engine Type: Inline 4 Cylinder
Displacement: 2.4 Liter (146 CID)
Liter (VIN): T
RPO: LD9
Bore: 90 mm / 3.54 in
Stroke: 94 mm / 3.70 in
Compression Ratio: 9.5 to 1 from 96-98-----/-----9.7 to 1 from 99-02
Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
Horse Power: 150 @ 5600 rpm
Torque Rating: 155 @ 4400 rpm
Lubrication System
Oil Capacity without Filter Change: 3.75 Liters / 4 Quarts
Oil Capacity with Filter Change: 4.25 Liters / 4.5 Quarts...Almost EVERYWHERE this reads 4 Quarts...Including the GM Service Manuals
Engine Oil Type: SAE 5w30
Engine Cooling System: 10.7 quarts
Brake Fluid: Delco Supreme 11 or DOT-3 Equivalent
Cluch Fluid: Delco Supreme 11 or DOT-3 Equivalent
Refrigerant: R-134a
Power Steering Fluid: GM p/n 1050017
Manual Transmission Fluid: Synchromesh, GM 12345349
Automatic Trans. Fluid: Dexron 3 ATF
Oil Pressure @ 3000 RPM: 207 kPa / 30 psi min.
Oil Pressure @ 900 RPM: 69 kPa / 10 psi min.
Recommended octane: 87
Fuel Tank Capacity: 14.3 gal.
EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
Manual: 23 mpg / 33 mpg
Automatic: 22 mpg / 30 mpg
Fuel Delivery: Sequential fuel injection (SFI)
Thermostat opening temperature: 180 degrees F
Emissions: Low emissions vehicle equipped with single Catalyst

***Fastener Tightening Specifications***
Application Specifications
...............................................................................................................................English
Balance Shaft Cover Nut and Bolt........................................................................115 lb in
Balance Shaft Driven Sprocket Bolt (left hand thread).........................................30 lb ft + 45°
Balance Shaft Housing Bolts 8 mm hex................................................................89 lb in + 40°
Balance Shaft Housing Bolts 10 mm hex..............................................................11 lb ft + 40°
Balance Shaft to block Bolts 13 mm hex...............................................................18 lb ft + 70°
Balance Shaft to block Bolts 15 mm hex............................................................... 39 lb ft
Balance Shaft to Block Bolts 18 mm hex............................................................. 30 lb ft + 60°
Camshaft (exhaust) Rear Cover............................................................................124 lb in
Camshaft Position Sensor Bolt............................................................................ 89 lb in
Camshaft Sprocket to the Camshaft Bolt.............................................................52 lb ft
Connecting Rod Nuts............................................................................................18 lb ft + 80°
Coolant Bleeder Valve Fully Driven, Seated , Not Stripped
Coolant Outlet to Cylinder Head..........................................................................19 lb ft
Coolant Pump Cover to the Block........................................................................19 lb ft
Coolant Pump to the Coolant Pump Cover..........................................................124 lb in
Coolant Pump to the Timing Chain Housing........................................................19 lb ft
Crankshaft Balancer to the Crankshaft..................................................................129 lb ft + 90°
Crankshaft Bearing Cap Bolts................................................................................15 lb ft + 90°
Crankshaft Position Sensor to Block.....................................................................80 lb in
Cylinder Head Bolts Refer to Procedure
Cylinder Head Threaded Plug............................................................................... 19 lb ft
EGR Pipe to the EGR Adapter.............................................................................19 lb ft
Engine Coolant Air Bleed Pipe ..............................................................................124 lb in
Engine Coolant Air Bleed Pipe Nut........................................................................31 lb ft
Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Sensor to the Cylinder Head
Fully Driven, Seated, Not Stripped
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor to the Coolant Outlet....................................97 lb in
Engine Lift Bracket..................................................................................................68 lb ft
Engine Mount Bracket Adapter to Block Bolt Auto Trans.................................... 44 lb ft + 60°
Engine Mount Bracket Adapter to Block Bolt Manual Trans..................................44 lb ft + 60°
Engine Mount (right hand side) to the Body Support Bolt..................................... 49 lb ft
Engine Mount (right hand side) to the Body Support Nut...................................... 32 lb ft
Engine Mount (right hand side) to the Engine Mount Bracket Bolts.......................46 lb ft
Engine Mount Strut..................................................................................................74 lb ft
Engine Mount Strut Bracket Bottom Bolts.............................................................. 96 lb ft
Engine Mount Strut Bracket Front Bolts..................................................................49 lb ft
EVAP Canister Purge Valve Solenoid Bracket Bolt..................................................72 lb in
Exhaust Manifold Brace to the Exhaust Manifold Bolt.............................................41 lb ft
Exhaust Manifold Brace to the Oil Pan Nuts............................................................19 lb ft
Exhaust Manifold to the Cylinder Head Nut............................................................11 lb ft
Exhaust Manifold to the Cylinder Head Studs......................................................... 97 lb in
Exhaust Manifold Upper Heat Shield to the Manifold Bolts...................................124 lb in
Flywheel to Clutch Cover .....................................................................................15 lb ft + 45°
Flywheel to the Converter.......................................................................................49 lb ft
Flywheel to the Crankshaft....................................................................................22 lb ft + 45°
Front Cover to the Timing Chain Housing................................................................106 lb in
Fuel Pipe Bracket to the Camshaft Housing.............................................................11 lb ft +30°
Fuel Pipe to the Fuel Rail Nut...................................................................................22 lb ft
Fuel Rail to the Camshaft Housing............................................................................19 lb ft
Ignition Coil and Module Assembly to the Camshaft Housings...............................16 lb ft
Intake Manifold to the Cylinder Head Bolts/Nuts....................................................18 lb ft
Intake Manifold to the Cylinder Head Studs........................................................... 97 lb in
Knock Sensor.............................................................................................................15 lb ft
Oil/Air Separator To Block Bolts..............................................................................18 lb ft
Oil Dipstick Tube Bolt/Screw...................................................................................71 lb in
Oil Filter Connector to the Block..............................................................................21 lb ft
Oil Filter to the Block 3/4 to one complete turn after gasket contact
Oil Pan Bolts.............................................................................................................18 lb ft
Oil Pan Bolts, Second Set.........................................................................................106 lb in
Oil Pan Drain Plug.....................................................................................................19 lb ft
Oil Pan Studs ...........................................................................................................19 lb ft
Oil Passage Plug Bolt................................................................................................ 22 lb ft
Oil Passage Plugs, 1/4x18 ...........................................................................................15 lb ft
Oil Passage Plugs, 3/8x18............................................................................................22 lb ft
Oil Passage Plugs, Block 1/8x27................................................................................89 lb in
Oil Pressure Switch......................................................................................................124 lb in
Oil Pump Cover to the Oil Pump Housing - Short Bolt............................................89 lb in
Oil Pump to the Balance Shaft Housing - Long Bolts..............................................106 lb in
Oxygen Sensor To Exhaust Manifold.........................................................................31 lb ft
Power steering Pipe to the Pump Nut........................................................................20 lb ft
Power steering Pump to the Cam Carrier Bolts.........................................................19 lb ft
Rear Crankshaft Seal Housing to Block.................................................................... 106 lb in
Spark Plugs to the Cylinder Hea...............................................................................13 lb ft
Starter to the Block Bol..............................................................................................66 lb ft
Tensioner to Tensioner Bracket Nut.......................................................................... 40 lb ft
Throttle Body to the Intake Manifold.........................................................................89 lb in
Thrust Plate to the Balance Shaft Housing.................................................................. 115 lb in
Timing Chain Housing to the Block Bolts/Studs..........................................................21 lb ft
Timing Chain Housing to the Camshaft Housings.......................................................19 lb ft
Timing Chain Tensioner to Housing and Block............................................................89 lb in
Transaxle To Block Bolt................................................................................................43 lb ft
Transaxle To Block Nut................................................................................................49 lb ft
Transaxle To Block Stud...............................................................................................115 lb in

References used: GM manuals, Cilton Manual, J-body.org, NY-J-body Web-site, Wikipedia Web-site, fellow org members, and I missed a bunch! ENJOY!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:29 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:22 PM
I'm new to this forum and this website. I am NOT familiar with a lot of things here and I have searched and searched to try to find the answer to my question. Maybe you can help me. I am redoing the motor in my 1999 chevy cavalier z24 it has a 2.4 liter automatic engine. what I need to know is what is the proper torque for the head bolts.
if you have this information I would greatly appreciate it asap.
Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:54 PM
TTY, the NEW bolts should have the FT\lbs and then torque angle you need to get to.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search