Modifications I can do to my 98 sunfire - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Modifications I can do to my 98 sunfire
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:38 PM
I was wondering what I could do to my 5 speed 98 sunfire to make it accelerate or hit a higher top speed, I've already put the cold air intake on and I've put 2.2 in headers on it

Re: Modifications I can do to my 98 sunfire
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:15 PM
Did you put on bigger exhaust? And I would wrap the header if not ceramic coated, gives more of a scavenging effect. After that you could do a tune or run nitrous.
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:27 PM
Also if it's like my 99 cav there's a cable running down to transmission called the down shift intent cable. With it you can adjust the shift points on tranny to shift sooner or rev higher. Made a big def on my 99 adjusted and had header and bigger exhaust and I could keep up with v6 mustangs. Until I hit the nitrous then it was by by.
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:52 PM
I am putting on a bigger exhaust soon, thanks for the help
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:53 PM
I am soon, thanks
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:54 PM
Big help man, thanks I'll try and find some time to do that
Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:42 AM
Robert Reynolds wrote:Also if it's like my 99 cav there's a cable running down to transmission called the down shift intent cable. With it you can adjust the shift points on tranny to shift sooner or rev higher.
Jesse Crouch wrote:I was wondering what I could do to my 5 speed 98 sunfire...

No detent cable on a manual transmission.

As for the original question, forget your top speed. Your car is hard limited, and if you're going over that without a build, you're doing something most people here don't support. If you're drag racing and hitting that limit, you've already done so much to your car that you would know how to remove this limitation, and you don't need to ask.

As for making it accelerate faster, the exhaust will help, but don't go too big on it, or you'll feel a loss in the engine response at lower RPMs. Search "2.2 performance" in this forum. There are a few threads with a lot of good information on getting performance out of the OHV engines. Their weak point is the airflow in the heads and intake. Some helpful things on them is a rocker arm swap, but if you want something really noticeable, you're going to have to either go turbo, or start getting into the engine to do P&P work.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:31 AM
Mr. Quick is QUICK for a reason lol.. Totally agree. I did however, remove my speed limiter and I have to say I never go pass 108 mph anyway!

Basic bolt ons are all you can do besides going the turbo route. You can: Look into a bigger throttle body, pulleys (free up power), intake manifold swap, rocker arm swap as mentioned, aggressive camshafts are technically internals, but until you do real engine work they are just bolt ons to me, and of course TUNE it.

You can put in good oil, transmission fluid, better spark plugs (iridium etc. although the recommended stock ones are fine for your bolt ons) but if it makes you feel better lol.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:36 PM
Yeah my bad on cable mine was automatic I missed the 5 speed part. And it is detent auto spell on cell phone.
Monday, July 20, 2015 8:45 AM
Have you checked out our Power+ Underdrive Pulleys for Cav/S10/Sunfire 2.2L's for $159.98?
http://www.chevycavalierworld.com/ipp-power-pulleys.php

Questions? Call 603.378.0090
or email us at info@ChevyCavalierWorld.com

- CCW

- JB
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search