Help with Turbo build up on 2200 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with Turbo build up on 2200
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:48 PM
Hello to all and any help with this car is greatley appreciated.
I am coming from the Mazda community.
I recently got divorced and had to let my Mazdaspeed3 go due to single income again.
A co-worker that retired gave me a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire - 5 speed tranny with the 2200 OHV engine.
I am wanting to put a turbo on the car. I will be doing all the work myself.
Engine is 110k driven only by elderly woman and her daughter, no leaks what so ever.

So I have ordered some parts but I have gotten to a point where I need another set of eyes to kind of look over my list and tell me what direction to continue.
I am looking for more HP but nothing more than 250 wheel hp max boosted to keep things safe.
This car is a fun car, not an every day driver so it will be something I can also throw slicks on and make some runs at the track.
It doesnt have to be the fastest just fast enough to make some people pout when they lose to a sunfire.

So my list:
Engine Mounts - I have already replaced with aftermarket stiffer mounts, Rear (dogBone, Passenger insert and tranny insert)
Short Shifter - Installed and with 40% shorter throw.
Turbo Manifold - Cast iron
Turbo with oil line - t3/t4 a/r .63 57 trim
Wastegate - starting out with only a 4psi spring
manual Boost Controller - Increase slowly keeping eye on a/f ratio
wideband gauge - monitor a/f
boost gauge
Intercooler and piping
Fuel Pump - 255 walbro

*** here is where I am coming in to conflict***
I have a vortech FMU that a friend gave me, new never used. I measured the internal disk. looks to be a 4:1 ratio. I am thinking of going with either a 10:1 or 12:1
So per calculation a 12:1 fmu and stock Fuel pressure 39psi and go up initially to 8 lbs boost. ((12x8)+39)=135 fuel pressure
So I would be covered with the new pump.

What if I go with the 440cc ford green top injectors and 255 fuel pump without the fmu?

Later I am considering spraying meth also to lower intake air temps further.

Looking for some advice from other 2200 boosted people that have some knowledge.
Do you have advice for a better setup?
What is a safe starting point to get me up and running boosted.

Thank you for any help.

Mike B.
Orange Park, FL

Re: Help with Turbo build up on 2200
Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:39 PM
Bump - Update

Ok so I got "4" Volvo EV1 30lb injectors on the way.
Going to go with a 12:1 ratio initially on the Vortech FMU and also upgrade the fuel pump.

I will continue to update status of build.
Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:23 PM
You neglected tuning completely?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Friday, June 19, 2015 7:55 PM
No not completely.
That will come towards the end after I get everything installed and decide what route to take.
Was hoping to get some input from anyone on here.
So taking one step at a time.
If you see me heading in the wrong direction or I'm doing something wrong then I would hope someone would step up and let me know.
Saturday, June 20, 2015 12:18 PM
I would ditch the FMU stuff and just get an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator. I had an aeromotive on my setup. Stock is 1:1 boost referenced same as the aeromotive.

I made (what i feel) was around 4-420 on my setup before i spun what i think was a cam bearing on that 1:1.

For 250 I would not hesitate to run ebay parts. I ran the same size ebay turbo you're thinking of getting, a log manifold, ebay gate, ebay BOV and 80's on e85 and ran 21psi through it and it held for a year of ass kickings. (this was well over 250whp - but on a forged motor) Most will say not to run ebay stuff; but if you run good oil, dont overdo it and pay attention to the motor and what its doing you should be ok. I dont think i got "lucky" with my parts; I think they can handle it just not forever. I *did* run a tial spring in my ebay gate though. The ebay spring was inconsistent. I rebuilt my turbo one time but for peace of mind only; it turns out i had a leaking oil feed causing it to smoke and the bearings and seals were fine.

I would NOT recommend any of this without a way to tune it via HPT. (there are other options, but HPT is probably your best bet).

If its available and youre concerned about knock and IAT's i would recommend e85 as the fuel. A walbro and a set of 80's would be more than enough to run it. for 250 you might get away with 60's (i just went with 80 because i didnt want to keep buying injectors). I personally wouldn't worry about methanol injection on low boost, but it cant hurt thats for sure.

I ran 12psi through this setup with 93oct for a while on 60's and it made decent power. On 5psi my trap speeds in the 1/4 were consistent with around 200whp on a stock motor.

heres my thread; it has most of the stuff i did pretty documented. first vid is the 12psi i was talking about.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=474208&t=474208

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, June 21, 2015 3:56 AM
Thanks Matt!
Starting to change a few things up and will follow your advice.
When I go to Suummit I see there are 2 different HPT's?
One issue $499 and the other is a few hundred more?
Is there a limit on how many tunes I can do with the less expensive one?

I am sure I can figure out the tuning if I have a sack little help. I did all the tuning myself on the MS3 I had with the Cobb access port.

Thanks again Matt.
Sunday, June 21, 2015 12:01 PM
There is a standard and a pro version of HPT. The pro version will allow you to connect your wideband to the HPT cable to log that data in their software. Standard HPT cannot do that. I would recommend pro for cars that dont have factory widebands. Back in the day for a couple cars we used to take video of the tach and the wb02 gauges during a pull and adjust that way.. lol.

Since you have an 01 there is a 2bar supercharger tune that the 2.4 motors use that you can modify to work for your application. Lots of guys have done that. There should be a thread or 2 on it in the tuning forum.

Stock these cars are alpha N and cannot read boost. Pretty much anything but ideal for turbo applications lol. Mine was alpha n till the day it died though, so it CAN be done and very driveable its just a matter of learning what works and what doesnt.

Once you credit your car to the tune file you are editing you can edit it as many times as it takes to get it where you want it. no limit on the number of writes.

I may have (or can get) the files we had from various setups that I had back in the day if you need help tuning it id be happy to look at what you've got.

Saturday, July 11, 2015 8:31 AM
Question:
Since the car is alpha N, does that mean our cars do not need a MAP Bypass Check Valve when it gets boosted?
Saturday, July 11, 2015 9:59 AM
No bypass for the map.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search