BUILT 2.2L ECOTEC L61 HEAD - Who makes one? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BUILT 2.2L ECOTEC L61 HEAD - Who makes one?
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 8:43 AM
Hey Guys,

I did a quick search and apologize if this information is on here somewhere.

If I was looking to buy a built ecotec head a few years back (which I was), I would gone straight to Patriot Performance and bought the stage 2 head. Now, I don't think they are in business or they may be affiliated with www.promaxperformance.com (I just emailed them).

Now, I am having a hard time finding a built head, however just found these sites below - what I mean by this is it must have: P&P, 5 angle valve job, upgraded seats for 1MM oversize valves - I can install the upgraded valve springs and retainers along with my current stage 3 cam (if the company does not provide the upgraded springs and retainers)

The companies I have found are:

1. FMSRPERFORMANCE.COM - they have the built heads - up to a stage 6 I believe.
http://www.fmsrperformance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_124&product_id=56 (STAGE 3 - JAGUAR)

2. CHEVYCAVALIERWORLD.COM - they have "engine kits" not sure on built heads but I have emailed them so will update this post

All I can think of right now.

Unless you guys disagree, a built head for me means that I still can decide down the road how I will build the internals for a turbo or supercharger route and get some decent power increase from the head alone (with tuning of course). I will not turbo my car without building the head or internals first.

Thanks as always to the JBODY members for helping me out!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: BUILT 2.2L ECOTEC L61 HEAD - Who makes one?
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:25 AM
Chevy Cavalier World just replied: "We don’t do any because they are 6 different ones way to many to do."

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:51 AM
i have a few built heads... how much are you looking to spend?
Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:58 AM
Really? Depends how much you are offering them for lol. I'm doing this research ahead of time so that when I am back in the States I finish this project (doesn't mean I cannot buy now and install later). Send me some info and be descriptive enough Jason as to what all has been done and what would I need please.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:23 PM
gm race head... all assembled, jesel rockers and all.. if you have questions read the build book.

if you know what it is worth make a offer..
Thursday, June 18, 2015 2:28 PM
Jason has a nice built race head - however not what I am looking for at this point - Patriot Stage 2 head was perfect. I would open up the seats for +.5MM valves. I am still searching (my best bet is to go a machine shop I think).

Sunday, June 21, 2015 7:51 PM
I think FMSR is about the only place to get a built l61 ecotec head. They do offer like 6 different heads but at a pretty penny. I'd say a machine shop is about your only other bet. I've checked this out myself several times. I don't know if gm performance even offers a head anymore. Besides port/polish, bigger valves and heavier springs the rest of the valve train is good to go for like 9000rpms. I don't think theres any need for $2500.00 worth of aftermarket followers. Let me know what you go with cause if you go with a fmsr head I want to know what you think of it.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED TO TUNE MY CAR?
Sunday, June 21, 2015 7:57 PM
Stay far far away from FMSR. They are crooks from anything I have read. Better off buying a used lsj head and getting LSJion from cobaltss.net port it for you. He is cheap and does a great job.

Or here is another option...http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?19040-Eco-build-goodies
Monday, June 22, 2015 7:51 AM
Thanks Jeff and Philly D - I looked at FMSR's stage 4 head and almost deciding to go that route. Good to know about the followers!

I'll look into LSJION and the link Philly D - thanks!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:24 AM
I contacted a company called PERFORMANCE CNC (www.cncport.com) - I believe formerly known as M2RACE, however not sure. They seem to be highly recommended. This is the response I got for my L61 head:

"We can CNC port that cylinder head. We do not polish.
$1000 to CNC port and Valve Job this Cylinder head
We don’t normally core swap, you would need to send a core to be machined. We can source a used core for around $300.00 if needed.
Valvetrain is around $800.00 (Valves/Springs/Titanium Retainers/Valve Seals)
Turnaround depends on how much work we are performing. 4-6 weeks
Shipping is Additional."

I have asked additional questions and will post them once I get them (mfr. of the valvetrain etc)

Monday, July 20, 2015 8:41 AM
Just read this thread, and we do list Patriot Heads for the 2.2 '98-02 - Bare and Assembled.
http://www.chevycavalierworld.com/patriot-heads.php
Email us at info@ChevyCavalierWorld.com or call 603.378.0090

PAT-CAV-01 Bare Heads $324.99

PAT-CAV-02 Bare Heads w/Special Porting $689.99

PAT-CAV-03 Assembled Ported Heads:
w/Stock or Stage 1 springs,
STD size valves.
Valve pockets machined for
performance beehive springs
good to 6500 RPM’s $929.99

PAT-CAV-04 Assembled Ported Heads
1mm over valves
6500 RPM springs $959.99

PAT-CAV-05 Assembled Ported Heads
1mm over valves
7500 RPM springs $999.99

PAT-CAV-06 ADD-ON: Titanium Retainers $99.99

PAT-CAV-07 ADD-ON: 2mm O/S Intake Valves
(flow rate increased to a whopping 220 CFM!!!)
Now we are up with the SBC performance flow figures! $139.99

Thanks,
- CCW

- JB

Monday, July 20, 2015 8:48 AM
he asked about a ecotec...

not a 2200 motor..
Monday, July 20, 2015 8:57 AM
Thanks Jason,
noticed he mentioned the Patriot Heads, my bad

- CCW

- JB
Monday, July 20, 2015 1:04 PM
Thanks CCW - However, the info. you provided is for a non-ecotec 2.2L. I willl check your site for the correct application, if available.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 12:40 PM
I used M2 Race to do my LSJ head. Way better casting and a much stronger head.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 11:08 AM
Wanna sell your car Mr. BuiltNBoosted lol - great job with all the mods. Yes, I have heard that is the way to go as someone mentioned on this post - CSS.net guy does a good job for cheap.. If anyone would like to share some information such as where to find the core, what else I would need to make this happen, I'd appreciate it. Will look for threads today on this subject. I know I cannot use my valve cover etc. so need to iron out all of this. Thanks!

Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:44 PM
you would just need one of my M2 race ported heads remember? lol

valve cover, youll need to block off the rear cam journal on the rear for the cam sensor etc...

best thing to do is read....
Friday, July 24, 2015 5:00 AM
You offered me the GM RACE HEAD. You do have an M2 Race LSJ Head too? Yes, I recall that bit of info about the relocation. Still doing the research.

Monday, August 03, 2015 2:16 PM
Thanks for the offer on the LSJ head Jason.

I spoke to Josh (LSJION) on CSS.net - He's given me all the prices for the P&P and a will get a price on the valve job as well. I have a brand new supertech valvetrain, just need to buy bigger valves plus figure out the fabrication of the ICM, cam sensor etc.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 5:09 AM
Just be careful with the supertech valve guides and valve seals. People have had problems with both.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, August 04, 2015 7:20 AM
Yep I know, you told me that and I never forgot lol. Thanks for the tip man! I ordered the FELPRO VITON valve stem seals. I already have them at home.

Looks like the LSJ head with P&P, valve job including purchase of the core, done for around $900. I need to buy the oversized valves and work out the fabrication of the ICM & cam sensor issues. Again, I have the Supertech 75# Kit already with my stage 3 cams.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 8:41 AM
how much is Josh charging you to port a head? Curious

Is there a before and after flow chart or anything that will show the gains?
Tuesday, August 04, 2015 10:18 AM
500 for P&P (exhaust and intake porting) with cleaning and resurfacing. Angle valve job is around 100 more or so. He can flow bench before and after, however he doesn't his own flow bench anymore. He's highly recommended an I have seen pics of his work - impressed so far!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search