Different Temperature Sensors for Lower Temp Radiator Fan Activation on 2.2 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Different Temperature Sensors for Lower Temp Radiator Fan Activation on 2.2
Thursday, June 09, 2016 12:36 PM
Like many others with the LN2 2.2, I am not thrilled with 223F being the threshold temperature that the sensor must read before the radiator fan is turned on.

Assuming that the sensor is some sort of thermistor setup, does anyone know of any alternate type sensors that would render the correct resistance so as to trigger the radiator fan only at a lower more reasonable temperature such as around 205F for when you get stuck in heavy stop and go traffic after driving 70mph or so on a busy beltway on a 95F degree day? My AC is toast and does not work by the way and I need to ensure to that nothing is messed up with its own wiring that I know is somehow tied in to it.

thanks!

Re: Different Temperature Sensors for Lower Temp Radiator Fan Activation on 2.2
Friday, June 10, 2016 4:37 AM
I believe it is controlled by the pcm. So to change it you would have to do it via hp tuners.
Friday, June 10, 2016 6:13 AM
Hmm…

Maybe there are 2 ways: a different sensor that could "trick" the PCM with "expected data" at a lower temp or the tuner method to change the set point for the data received from the sensor to trigger a lower temp fan activation.

Thinking of the sensor path, I always figured that the sensor was some sort of resistor or thermocouple device and that the PCM would simply react to the change in resistance that was seen with the change in temperature and then tell the fan to turn on when the 223F threshold was reached based upon the data. If there was another sensor model that sent the equivalent readings but at a lower temp, the PCM would "think" that 223F was reached and would trigger the fan. I figure it just cares about the data from the sensor. It would be nice if we could select & purchase different temperture sensors similar to the way we can with old fashioned thermostats.

Maybe other GM cars from that time period use a similar sensor that trigger at a lower temp? My LN2 is a 99 which is great for 10 months out of the year but pretty awful when the temps go above 90 and is stuck in stop & go for extended times. (Think DC Beltway)

Thanks for replying.
Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:08 PM
As stated changing it in the ECU is the way to go.

The sensor sends a signal, and the ECU based on pre-programmed information determines the temp.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 7:13 PM
Yah, I also live in DC and beltway stop and go traffic always take the temps on my 95 almost to the critical line. It sucks. and I can't use HP tuners, but do plan on burning a prom that might help with this. I'll try to keep it in mind once I get tuner pro rt working.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:40 PM
GM does not command the fan until 223 degree's stock.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search