cheap 2.6L Stroker Pointers please. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cheap 2.6L Stroker Pointers please.
Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:00 AM
Hello, Gear heads.
I have a 99 z24 with the 2.4 ld9 that the head gasket blew, So I picked up a 95 2.3 from a grand am with a rod knock for $40, i was planning to use the head and cams on the lkd9 by modifying the block, But further research lead me to understand that not only is the oil passages to small (same prob with 2.3L) on the ld9 but the pump spins to fast and the conversion of the 2.4l to 2.3L pump is a nightmare or cost extra $ for the pan (Keep in mind this is a budget project for me) also the 2.4L has a bore of 90mm and the 2.3 has a 93mm bore, But the ld9 has a further stroke and i would benefit from honing, re ring and stuff new bearings in the 2.3L with the 2.4L crank and rods for about the same cost as the pan...

Now that you know where im at and what im about ill get to the point. I have some questions about misunderstood readings and seek wisdom.

#1 something about using 2.4L pistons in the 2.3L block which boggles me because, 2.4L pistons are 90mm and 2.3 is 93mm and something about bored, flat tops or forged idk (i dont want to buy new pistons and pay to have it bored because im on a budget)
#2 Crank shaft posion sensor Needs relocated. ( is it necisary and how hard is this?)
#3 Will i need to modify by grinding or buy replacements for the 2.3L 93MM pistons if i stroke the l4 block.

Another Note: I understand my computer is a learning computer and that a tune will be better but not needed and that ill need to plug the egr spot since my car is vin T and does not have one,I do plan on milling the oil passages, possibly drilling the block and taping large cheep Studs for the head and I do not plan to boost with a super charger (too expensive) or turbo at least not for now and i dont want to spend much more then $300.

I have already ordered a 95 2.3L l4 Head gasket kit (stock thickness head gasket i think .74mm) and can order 93mm Rings for $32, L4 main bearings for $25 And im thinking i want a new water pump and tensioner with guides for the timing chain (No luck w/o chain and gears for cheaper Am i right to assume unnecessary expense?) but finding better deal on 2.4L water pump with timing set for $120 That leads me to my next question would the water pump with the tentioner and guides from the ld9 fit on the l4 block?

Currant calculated Expenses:
$40 l4 block (Have)
$80 headgasket kit (Have)
$32 rings
25 bearings
120-2xx water pump & timing chain set [Unwanted gears and chain]
Bolts approx $5 each [cheep all thread and a caped bolt to install bolts then lock tight nuts for head installation]

Any pointers to deals on parts, answers to my questions or advice appreciated And If you have a good step by step tutorial for what im doing Please share i can only find bits and pieces and my car has been sitting for months while i research. Thanks

Re: cheap 2.6L Stroker Pointers please.
Saturday, June 11, 2016 7:01 PM
Just found out the 2.3L stock pistons will work but but it wilkl be a 2.5L stroker not a 2.6
Re: cheap 2.6L Stroker Pointers please.
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:48 AM
You are going to use all thread for head studs?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search