2001 2.2L SRI - Cheap DIY pipping? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 2.2L SRI - Cheap DIY pipping?
Thursday, April 09, 2015 12:04 PM
I want to remove the current air filter box and add a K&N filter. I don't want to spend $150 for an AEM CAI so I was wondering what pipping can I use? What are the dimensions?

I'm hoping to just get a straight piece or so of pipe and get some clamps and so on.

I see there are a few cheap pre-made pipes on ebay but being in Canada, with the conversion and shipping it ends up being way too expensive.

Thanks

Re: 2001 2.2L SRI - Cheap DIY pipping?
Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:16 PM
Just buy the cheap 25 buck one off ebay and replace the filter with a quality one. The full on CAI are a waste. Without any supporting mods an airfilter isnt going to do much. Mightycarmods did a whole episode on cone intakes vs stock.
Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:25 PM
lol at using mighty cars mods as a source.

also don't waste the money. the stock airbox is fine unless heavily modded

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Saturday, November 26, 2016 7:37 PM
Blue2000cavalier wrote:lol at using mighty cars mods as a source.

also don't waste the money. the stock airbox is fine unless heavily modded

Lol yup MCM. Kinda hard to deny dyno numbers. +1 on the stock air box.
Saturday, November 26, 2016 11:45 PM
...just ignore the fact that things are 100% situational when it comes to an air-box.

Next you'll say a thermometer that more then likely can't be trusted plus or minus 5 degrees means a 1 degree difference matters.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Monday, November 28, 2016 3:29 PM
Blue2000cavalier wrote:...just ignore the fact that things are 100% situational when it comes to an air-box.

Next you'll say a thermometer that more then likely can't be trusted plus or minus 5 degrees means a 1 degree difference matters.

Don't forget the obvious butt dyno increase! I personally like cone filters just for the fact I never have to buy a filter again.
Monday, November 28, 2016 7:14 PM
I don't like reusable filters the filter oil can @!#$ with the up stream sensors.

Monday, November 28, 2016 9:24 PM
Blue2000cavalier wrote:I don't like reusable filters the filter oil can @!#$ with the up stream sensors.

That is why I switched from K&N filters to AEM Dryflows.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 4:14 PM
Holy old post revival lol. But yeah and ecotec intakes are hot air intakes. To hell with that noise.
Tuesday, December 06, 2016 6:24 PM
There is no real difference in power between SRI and CAI on our cars.

Tuesday, December 06, 2016 10:08 PM
And where hot air increases the risk of detonation, I'd rather out out given the choice.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 12:21 AM
There isn't that big of a temperature difference between them.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 8:50 AM
Let's see... 2001 2.2... I've done it again. Throttle body sits at the back and intakes use stock box location... nice and cool compared to the hot box behind the battery on ecotec CAI. I concur. No noticeable difference between SRI and CAI for your cars. Maybe I should learn to listen. :S

I remember Project Car Tuner from way way back. They did a Cavy build with this motor and did a Spectre intake on it. I always thought those were a little weird, but they work for piping. And it didn't look that bad, really.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search