Radiator Fan upgrade? (Help) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Radiator Fan upgrade? (Help)
Saturday, July 22, 2017 10:55 AM
As summer is in full swing & heat is scorching...
My radiator Fan has been working it's ass off.
-- 2005 LS (automatic)

I just cleared 108k on my car & want to replace/upgrade my stock radiator fan.
I deal with stop & go highway rush-hour traffic daily & it's all blacktop.
I want to do the whole assembly, with something better / stronger, too help cool things while I'm stuck in traffic, or whatever other instance.

I'm not really sure where to start, as I've never upgraded a radiator fan before.

So, I'm looking for suggestions / help on what to buy.
Also, is there a way for it to engage at a lower temp / run longer?

Re: Radiator Fan upgrade? (Help)
Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:35 PM
I see no reason to upgrade it. Stock works fine for what your describing.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:10 AM
Are you running the A/C? If so, the fan will run all the time as it draws in air for the condenser (At least that is how it works on a 2nd gen). With the A/C off, it cuts on and off as the ECM demands it. The ECM controls the fan operation based on the temperature it receives from the coolant sensor to the ECM. You could only change that by having the chip altered, as far as I know.

As long as it is working and you hear no signs of the bearing/bushing wear in the motor, it is fine. You'll only be wasting money replacing it.
Thursday, August 03, 2017 4:55 AM
butch nackley wrote:Are you running the A/C? If so, the fan will run all the time as it draws in air for the condenser (At least that is how it works on a 2nd gen). With the A/C off, it cuts on and off as the ECM demands it. The ECM controls the fan operation based on the temperature it receives from the coolant sensor to the ECM. You could only change that by having the chip altered, as far as I know.

As long as it is working and you hear no signs of the bearing/bushing wear in the motor, it is fine. You'll only be wasting money replacing it.

No chip to alter, but it can be reprogrammed.

GM does not command the fan to come on by temperature until 224 degree's. Depending on model the temp gauge on dash that will be pretty high making it seem something is wrong.

Fan does come on with ac turned on as well.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 4:27 AM
I have mine lowered down to 210, through HPTuners, and it comes on quote often. Probably more than I need.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search