Project V8 Z24 - Update - Page 12 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Project V8 Z24 - Update
Saturday, December 05, 2015 7:10 AM
I havent seen this thread in a while. Great work. Dont know why I never sub'd before but I am now.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:51 PM
Thank-you Sir,

I was able to get the diff and suspension off and out of the way. The 8.8 housing is cut and positioned in place. I need to get some material to continue with the brackets and links. I thought I was done with a Sciatica issue, but after catching a cold and sneezing and coughing for a few days, it has returned. Will have to take a pause.

Thanks for watching

Cheers

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:37 PM
Mikey G wrote:Thank-you Sir,

I was able to get the diff and suspension off and out of the way. The 8.8 housing is cut and positioned in place. I need to get some material to continue with the brackets and links. I thought I was done with a Sciatica issue, but after catching a cold and sneezing and coughing for a few days, it has returned. Will have to take a pause.

Thanks for watching

Cheers

Hope you feel better soon man - that's no fun.

Get better quick so when you're done with the IRS set up we can LNF swap the '84 hatch and then move on to the Chevette I've got my eye on. Would be pretty trick with an ecotec RWD set up we'd need to source.

Saturday, February 13, 2016 9:41 AM
Bring it and I will build it.......

Even if it's on my hands and knees...

Cheers

Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:47 AM
Hello All

Here is some progress photos of the IRS

Mock-up at fit is done

Parking brakes are in the disks

11' disks

New 9' wheels. The coil overs allowed a wider 275 35 tire as well. Hopefully I'll get more bite

Hope you enjoy... Next update with all installed, painted and ready to go

Cheers,

Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:04 AM
Sweet, what is the axle from? Can you give us some specs?

Chris
Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:11 AM
Thanks,

Axle is a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. 3:73 posi. I will be keeping the gears and all new clutch, bearings and seals. I cut most of the axle tubes out and had custom stub axles made. They bolt up to the new CV axles. The spindle is from the front of a GM W-body. Parking brakes are Corvette/Caddy. The disks are rear Buick Rendez-vous. The coil over struts are Third Gen Camaro ( AEI double adjustable). All supports and linkages are custom.

Yet to be tested....

Friday, March 25, 2016 3:28 PM
New wheels also?

FU Tuning

Friday, March 25, 2016 5:48 PM
Yes Sir,

Rennen from FAST. With and offset were very limited for my application. I was actually considering widening the rims I had. However, a good friend found them for me.

Hope you like....

Cheers

Saturday, March 26, 2016 7:20 PM
Mikey G wrote:Yes Sir,

Rennen from FAST. With and offset were very limited for my application. I was actually considering widening the rims I had. However, a good friend found them for me.

Hope you like....

Cheers

I want to see better pictures, but yes I like them.

FU Tuning

Sunday, March 27, 2016 5:22 AM
Better pics of the rims?

If it's the whole car, it may have to wait until it's back on the ground. Diff not complete yet....

Saturday, February 18, 2017 2:03 PM
Jesus MAN what great work, makes me want to find another Z24 shell and send it to you.

How much to setup a rolling chassis like yours with the 8.8 IRS and setup for a Gen II LT1 or LSx engine?
Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:12 AM
Hi Dale, Thanks for the compliment

The IRS is definitely a great upgrade. Going from 3:42 to 3:73 didn't hurt either. drove all last summer - dialed in nicely. Over the Holidays I upgraded the engine management system from OBDI to OBDII - GM LS Distributorless CNP. Start up this spring and final tuning on a chassis dyno to come soon after that.

Labor only $4500. Car must have no interior or motor / tranny

Mikey G

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:17 PM
Mikey G wrote:Hi Dale, Thanks for the compliment

The IRS is definitely a great upgrade. Going from 3:42 to 3:73 didn't hurt either. drove all last summer - dialed in nicely. Over the Holidays I upgraded the engine management system from OBDI to OBDII - GM LS Distributorless CNP. Start up this spring and final tuning on a chassis dyno to come soon after that.

Labor only $4500. Car must have no interior or motor / tranny

Mikey G

Nice OBD2 upgrade!!

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 23, 2017 4:29 PM
Nice bump to the thread. I got an email notification and got excited there was progress.

Friday, February 24, 2017 4:07 AM
Not sure how I missed the IRS update, but sweet man!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, February 24, 2017 4:46 AM
Thanks for the great compliments.
Sorry about the slow updates. Life is getting a little busy with buying a new house, selling ours before we take possession of the other... I'm hoping to get in the garage this weekend to wrap up the LS Ignition upgrade and actually start it. Maybe even go for a spin as it is very mild here... I want to drive it to the temp storage. Do my best to get some more pics up soon - possibly a revised walk around video.
Cheers

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:29 PM
hello All,
Start-up went well. Little on the pig rich side. was able to drive over to the dyno. 4 pulls and he was done. car purrs like a kitten and kicks ass in any gear
330RWHP and 392 RWT. I will do my best to get more videos for you guys

Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:28 PM
Love the torque!!

have you weight the car?

FU Tuning

Friday, April 28, 2017 6:22 AM
I did have the car weighed when it first hit the road. With a half tank (15 gallons), and myself it came in just over 2,900lbs. It also had no interior. I’ve since swapped out the 10 Bolt for the IRS and the interior is in. I’m thinking the car is now 3,100lbs. When I started the project, I thought Cavys were 2,500lbs as my reggie says 1,125kgs. This converts to 2,475lbs. There is an error somewere…

Tuner claims the TPI is restricting the motor and there is probably an additional 30 hp there. The TB has been upgraded from 48mm to 58mm. The plenum has been hogged out and port matched to the runners. The intake is hogged out and siamesed for the 3-1/2’ just after the runners. This is from the folks over on Thirg Gen. The runners are the restriction. Aftermarket runners are way too expensive for 20-30 hp. I don’t think the car is missing 20-30 hp…

The tuner mentioned if I was to swap out the wheel bearings for the ones with ABS sensors, he can use the signal to detect wheel spin. This can be used to back off the motor to increase traction. Handy if I need to drive it I the rain - I like this guy.  Also The new ignition set-up has effectively lowered the idle temps – 205 down to 185. So I picked up another hood and will have it painted. Do away with the louvers the existing hood has to further complete the sleeper look. Perhaps incorporate a tilt forward hood.

I will have to put the brakes on as we sold our house and need to get packing and move to a temp location until our new home is available in July. Bigger garage – Woo Hoo.

Thank-you all for your kind words and most of all your support

Cheers

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:54 AM
Glad to hear man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Saturday, September 22, 2018 4:52 PM
Hello All

I have decided to put the Cavy for Sale. I had fun building and driving it. Now I want to do another project

So I have decided to put the Cavy for Sale.

Thank you all for all the support and king words

Mikey G

Sunday, September 23, 2018 7:08 AM
Okay ,I'll ask. How much?It has a lot of work done for a cavalier.

Chris
Sunday, September 23, 2018 3:38 PM
I'm asking $14990
There's over 25K invested
Mikey G

Friday, May 24, 2019 5:05 AM
Dude, that is sweet! Ever sell it?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search