Just Installed New Muffler - XLERATOR - PICS! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just Installed New Muffler - XLERATOR - PICS!
Friday, November 04, 2005 12:46 PM
Well, I was really sick of the raspiness of my exhaust. I was planning on adding a resonator, but after visiting a few places I was advised to change my muffler first. I ended up having a Goerlish XLERATOR Perfomance Muffler replace my Magnaflow Fart Cannon. I was told it was a much deeper tone. I have to agree. Also, They stuck it up under the car, and added an extender pipe out the back. This way I would not have to worry as much about scraping, or the exhaust blowing out on my rear bumper. I added a oval tip to it. The extender pipe needs to be shortened a little, so that the tip does not stick out, but it'll do for now. By the way, this muffler is great, and makes my car sound 100X better. Here are some pics.

Old Muffler

New Muffler w/ Tip

Like I said, I need to shorten the extender pipe about 2 inches, so that the tip does not stick out the back, and sits under the bumper. Can I just cut the pipe with something like tin-snips, or should i take it back to the shop and have them cut 2 inches off it?

Wide Body Progress

Re: Just Installed New Muffler - XLERATOR - PICS!
Friday, November 04, 2005 12:53 PM
How is the sound on it compared to the old magnaflow? Im not a fan of the tip but if it sounds good it's all good. I was considering just getting a borla...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448390

Friday, November 04, 2005 1:18 PM
You can't even sompare the sound of the two mufflers. The Magnaflow was very loud and raspy, i almost hated stepping on the gas. At idle it was also loud. With the Xlerator, it is quiet at idle. It has a nice low, mellow tone. The guy at the shop said they used to use Dynomax, but switch to this type and think the sound is better than Dynomax.
I originally was planning on going with a circular tip, but when I held it up, it didn't look good with the bumper. Once this tip is tucker a few inches back, it looks very good with the bumper IMO. It does not drop below the bumper. I am happy with it, just need to get it tucked back in.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, November 04, 2005 2:28 PM
as i have said magnaflow is a little over rated. Their exhausts are real raspy. I personally like Dynomax. (Superturbo, Ultraflo, thrush)

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Friday, November 04, 2005 2:45 PM
Get that tip welded on atleast, glad you like it.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, November 04, 2005 2:52 PM
Yeah I'd have that pipe shortened the tip welded on flush with the bumper, so close where you can't even see the top of it.

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:24 PM
So it is not too loud minus a resonator?
Friday, November 04, 2005 4:57 PM
You need to get the whole thing welded up, WAY too many clamps in there...I hope they didn't charge you much...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Friday, November 04, 2005 5:11 PM
I hope that he put it on and didn't pay anything for that install.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, November 04, 2005 5:30 PM
Yea, it isn't that loud at all anymore. I like it.

He charged me $120 for the muffler and to install it.

Wide Body Progress

Saturday, November 05, 2005 11:05 AM
so you said magnaflow was "raspy"....

what size was your resonator????

Sunday, November 06, 2005 2:09 PM
I did not have a resonator. I was looking to add a resonator, and I was advised by a few people to change my muffler first. I still have no resonator, but this new nuffler is much quieter and deeper in tone thant the magnaflow.

Wide Body Progress

Sunday, November 06, 2005 5:19 PM
thats what i figured...

over time once mufflers break in most will need a resonator if you hear them from outside the car with someone else driving.

so many skip out on it....

magnaflow and borla all build their setups with resonators for a reason.

mufflers shouldnt be the only determinant in noise on a straight through setup.

Sunday, November 06, 2005 9:02 PM
Funky Bottoms (Event) wrote:thats what i figured...

over time once mufflers break in most will need a resonator if you hear them from outside the car with someone else driving.

so many skip out on it....

magnaflow and borla all build their setups with resonators for a reason.

mufflers shouldnt be the only determinant in noise on a straight through setup.

Ok, thanks for the info. I will still most likely add a resonator to my exhaust at some point.

Wide Body Progress

Monday, November 07, 2005 1:14 AM
Whats up with all the clamps, dont they know how to weld? And stick that tail pipe under the car, it looks really bad sticking out like that.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Monday, November 07, 2005 3:02 PM
^^ Yeah I wouldn't have paid anything to do that, much less $120. You got jipped.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, November 07, 2005 9:01 PM
urweak: Yea, I am planning on buttin the pipe and having the tip flush with the back of the bumper.

Wide Body Progress

Monday, November 07, 2005 9:16 PM
Whats with the rubber band for a rear exhaust mount? They did real shotty work IMO for $120. I paid $140 for an axle back with the dynomax super turbo (that I even paid too much for) that was welled up with proper mounts.

No offense, but I think the tip looks tacky as well.

Monday, November 07, 2005 9:45 PM
i'm not to sure on the tip either! JMO

i have the same magnaflow muffler on my car, and it sounds great. only when i'm at 5,000 and up it gets raspy? but i don't get up that high unless i'm gettin' on her.

^ my cavy of course.
Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:34 AM
It sounded raspy because you got the canister style muffler. If you had gotten their oval style muffler, it would have sounded deeper.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 4:45 AM
Most straight through muffler like the RKsport one regardless of brand will sound rasy. On my system i think the Camaro Tips make a difference in the sound of my car.
You can here a clip of my exhaust on this post
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=181512&t=181512

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 6:57 AM
suposedly i herad that flowmaster is not as raspy as the magnaflow, one reason would be that magnaflow glass packs their mufflers...... weel thats what i hear...
120 i can get the mufler, a tip, and 2 ¼" all the way ffrom the cat back welded on.... i think you got slightly jipped

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:02 AM
I got my exhaust 2.5" down pipe& catback, resonator and high flow cat all put on for $90.00 and they did and excellent job. Then again i got a little hook up because the shop knew my friend.

all the time

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:47 PM
buzz122 wrote:suposedly i herad that flowmaster is not as raspy as the magnaflow, one reason would be that magnaflow glass packs their mufflers...... weel thats what i hear...
120 i can get the mufler, a tip, and 2 ¼" all the way ffrom the cat back welded on.... i think you got slightly jipped

incorrect info...

even a remus muffler (for those that dont know, the mufflers that come stock on porsches) can be Raspy...

raspy comes from using a pipe size that is too big for what the engine actually pushes out.

basically sound just bounces around inside the extra area not being used by exhaust flow,or more accurately the pipe size is too large which slows the exhaust flow down. when it slows gases bounce around more as they cool off.

fast moving gases sound the most fullest when you boil it down....

for many, who dont add extra air in they dont give out more exhaust gasses either, when they switch to oversized pipes, if you dont have enough sound absorption then it will be raspy. also when you step up to straight through mufflers, gasses which transmit sound move faster through the muffler than it used to. hence usually the need for more sound absorption.

the materials magnaflow use are top notch. i;ve seen more flowmasters rust out internally, than i have seen magnaflows or borlas diminish.

exhausts are just like the rest of your car, its supposed to be tuned....not just slap it on and forget it.... sadly many never do either.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 8:06 PM
Ok, well I may have gotten jipped. I looked around at several places, and really don't have many people to help me with this. Most times when I try to post on here about questions i mostly get either no responses or bs responses. I guess this is the result.

On another note, I am much happier with the sound of this muffler. I am also planning on adding a resonator (Dynomax Thrush 18"?)

Event: Thank you for your post. That makes alot of sense. I liked the sound of my exhaust when my magnaflow was just on with the stock pipe and stock cat. Once I got a hi-flow cat and 2 1/4" pipes was when I started to not like the sound, because it was so raspy.

Also, thank you for everyone who replied. I love hearing suggestions.

Wide Body Progress

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search