Why i wont use a catch can.... - Performance Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Why i wont use a catch can....
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:50 PM
Ok, maybe this doesnt belong here, maybe it does. THIS IS NOT A NEWB QUESTION.

Well i took a hell of a beating and a crap load of insults as to why, oh why, i used a clear fuel filter between the Valve cover nipple and my intake, Instead of a catch can.

Well if i had a catch can, i wouild never have seen the precurser to a blown head gasket. Thats right. I had gotten antifreeze in the PCV line, going to my intake. My car has yet to show any other tell tale signs, But know for sure, they are close at hand.

As you can see, the left side, The IN side of my filter shows the soon upcoming horror. A milkshake oilish deposit on the inside of the glass. The indication of a serious issue.

So tommorow, before anything gets worse, im gonna freeze my butt off in 15 degree weather to change the head gasket.

So now you know.

Re: Why i wont use a catch can....
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:59 PM
actually...... the 'milkshake' is common when moisture gets into the crank case....... possibly from a vent not being open enough....

2.3's it was common to find on the oil dipstick/filler neck.... even w/o blown headgaskets....

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:06 PM
He's right dude. That happens on damn near every car on the road from condensation in the crankcase. The water gets in the oil and from getting thrown around and mixed up over and over it froths up like that. True, it CAN be an indication but it's not an absolute.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:09 PM
We shall see tommorow morning.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:28 PM
yea dude... you're fine

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 9:30 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:actually...... the 'milkshake' is common when moisture gets into the crank case....... possibly from a vent not being open enough....

2.3's it was common to find on the oil dipstick/filler neck.... even w/o blown headgaskets....

My airbox was filled with the crap (was never cleaned before I took it off from when it was built), no blown headgasket here...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 11:13 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:We shall see tommorow morning.

so your gonna take the head off anyways

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:13 AM
Phlatcav wrote:
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:We shall see tommorow morning.

so your gonna take the head off anyways

I wouldnt even bother......is your coolant low.......waste of time IMO if your not positive

Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:20 AM
or drain your oil and see if it's foamy at all...

Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:09 AM
Do a compression / leakdown check and a cooling system pressure check. Theese are allot easier then tearing down the top end and would tell you allot more.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:27 AM
These guys are right man its probly nothing. All engines get condensation in them as a result of them getting hot in cold weather thats why the PCV system is there to allow it to burn off. If theres none on the dip stick or the underside of the oil filler cap your freezing your see off for nothing.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:35 AM
Oh no, you guys are all wrong

LMR is king of diagnosing problems

................Which car will hit 400 whp first???................
Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:21 AM
LOL , you have the same elcheapo fuel filter doing the same job i have on mine , LOL

allthough mine does not show any signs of moisture , but i also live in a dry climate

like the others mentioned , id change the oil and see if comes out milky , if so then id do a leak down test

Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:31 AM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:actually...... the 'milkshake' is common when moisture gets into the crank case....... possibly from a vent not being open enough....

DIDO

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:15 AM
I can say in all my years of owning J's I have never seen this.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:34 AM
I removed my intake manifold today to change the gasket.I removed the air/oil separator box on the block,and it looked like a milkshake inside.The dipstick and the oil cap looked fine,so im not worried about it.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:52 AM
Update:

Drained my oil, and it looked horrible, My coolant was low, and my dipstick looked like a malt shaker. Looked inside the valve cover to see what looked like Ocean foam.

Pulled the head, which only takes about 30 mins. Gasket was shot. Replaced with the copper set i bought about a month ago. Put everything back together, put low grain flush oil. Ran for about 30 mins, drained the oil again, replaced the filters, Put mobile 1 synthetic oil in. Dropped my coolant, flushed and filled. Good to go.

BTW, i had an inline fuel filter in the same place last winter, and never had that crap in there. Oh well.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 11:38 AM
dude your so full of @!#$! your saying you put a copper head gasket on ey? Man your maching shop does quik work of oringing your block and head for a copper gasket to seal

Thursday, December 22, 2005 7:44 PM
Phlatcav wrote:dude your so full of @!#$! your saying you put a copper head gasket on ey? Man your maching shop does quik work of oringing your block and head for a copper gasket to seal

Well someone is not too bright, Marrxco demanta makes copper gaskets for stock 2200's.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:21 PM
El Fuego ( the unstable ) wrote:
Phlatcav wrote:dude your so full of @!#$! your saying you put a copper head gasket on ey? Man your maching shop does quik work of oringing your block and head for a copper gasket to seal

Well someone is not too bright, Marrxco demanta makes copper gaskets for stock 2200's.

sorry...........................................................................................................................................

ehc ehc ehc ehm...................................

GHETTO.......................

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:28 PM
but with a copper head gasket you should still have to O-ring...

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:49 PM

im not the retard that put a copper gasket on without 0-ringing the block
im not the retard that stuck gay ass gauges under my hood
im not the retard that made my intake out of ghetto chrome plastic

shew, got all that off my chest. good night

Thursday, December 22, 2005 11:06 PM
Phlatcav wrote:

I <3 Phlatcav for opening up his true feelings torwards LMR

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, December 23, 2005 10:03 AM
Phlatcav wrote:

im not the retard to put Mobil 1 oil cap even near my engine
im not the retard to put an over price crappy engineered intake on my car
im not the retard who doesnt want to know how the engine is running, while im under the hood.

Friday, December 23, 2005 10:17 AM
you girls are getting your manties in a knot

I think the filter is a false indictation, and really the only thing its doing is scaring you.

Take the head off already and let us know if it was blown.. we want pictures for proof too

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search