What Would A 2.4 Sound Like If Timing Was Off A Tooth? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What Would A 2.4 Sound Like If Timing Was Off A Tooth?
Monday, October 02, 2006 11:12 AM
What Would A 2.4 Sound Like If Timing Was Off A Tooth? I am thinking this could be the problem with my GFS cav. It has no power and I did the timing chain on it 2 years ago and the car has no power and just makes noise past 4K.

Would it idle and drive normal just no power?

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible

Re: What Would A 2.4 Sound Like If Timing Was Off A Tooth?
Monday, October 02, 2006 11:26 AM
Well in my experence it idles BAD. Ask whitecavy. He has more infomation onbeing off one tooth.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 02, 2006 4:54 PM
My friend has a civic with a B18 in it, his timing belt was chewed up, and it was also off a tooth or so, it was slow as balls, but it sounded like it was in VTEC as soon as he hit the gas, even in neutral, i'd check that out if i were you....that does sound like it could be the problem.....but as far as our engines being off a tooth, i have no idea what the outcomes could be....good luck though

NEW SIG COMING SOON FOR 07'!!!
Monday, October 02, 2006 6:57 PM
Well I have put one of my LD9's off by a tooth on purpose (well actually just before and just after TDC at the crank), and you really could not tell. Now it could be off more than a tooth and you could have power loss, maybe even hard starting.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 02, 2006 9:38 PM
i remember when jose's car was off a tooth the idle was slightly rough, but the only time you could really tell was when shifting gears in the lower rpm's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, October 02, 2006 10:25 PM
Well if you have a fart can on your car it will sound like a popcorn machine.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Monday, October 02, 2006 10:35 PM
being off at the crank is a little different than being off at the cam

dave's sunfire , sounded a little funny in the exhaust , almost like it was missing , low rpm it was lacking power , once moving you didnt really notice any loss

wether its the crank , intake or exhaust , it will run slightly different for each 1 , and sound different

Wednesday, October 04, 2006 6:55 AM
Like everybody else said.. But ill add that my car would NOT stay started under 1k RPM for anything!! It would run fine at 2k and up, but under that it runs like crap.

Now im beginning to think that something else is wrong with mine again.. I have hard starting problems and my exhaust sounds like popcorn popping under acceleration under 2k. I also have minimum power under 2k rpm.. Ill be taking the timing apart again this weekend to fix my oil leak, then ill address the timing again..

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:31 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Now im beginning to think that something else is wrong with mine again.. I have hard starting problems and my exhaust sounds like popcorn popping under acceleration under 2k. I also have minimum power under 2k rpm.. Ill be taking the timing apart again this weekend to fix my oil leak, then ill address the timing again..

you just need to come visit the Team GREEN garage

I have seen (had to "redo" someone elses work) where the crank was off one tooth and it wouldnt start, I *think* 2 teeth off puts the valves into the pistons (maybe it was 3)

I believe there are 16 teeth on the crank, that equals 22.5* per tooth.... (dont have the gear in front of me) but either way, thats alot of mechanical timing to be off!!!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, October 05, 2006 4:32 AM
^^I agree, I need to make a quick trip up there to Wisc for a quick sec lol..

306 TQ
Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:55 AM
so you changed the chain 2 years ago and its just now starting to do this?? I had a similer problem with my 2.4 but it was the coil packs and the white houseing.

View my MySpace

Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:22 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Like everybody else said.. But ill add that my car would NOT stay started under 1k RPM for anything!! It would run fine at 2k and up, but under that it runs like crap.

Now im beginning to think that something else is wrong with mine again.. I have hard starting problems and my exhaust sounds like popcorn popping under acceleration under 2k. I also have minimum power under 2k rpm.. Ill be taking the timing apart again this weekend to fix my oil leak, then ill address the timing again..

Sounds like how mine was acting under 2k. Are the gears the same for the intake and Exhaust? From what i could tell on the old cam gears, they appeared to both be the same, in terms of where the teeth were etc, but i wanted to make sure, as i changed all of my gears and such when i changed the cams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:23 PM

Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:49 PM
Im not sure what you mean when you say "Are the gears the same for the intake and Exhaust"

306 TQ
Thursday, October 05, 2006 1:12 PM
so we are going to do yours and mine this weekend david??

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Thursday, October 05, 2006 9:28 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Im not sure what you mean when you say "Are the gears the same for the intake and Exhaust"

Are the intake and exhaust cam gears interchangable, or are they supposed to be specific to each cam?

Friday, October 06, 2006 4:58 AM
Ender_Wiggin wrote:
WHITECAVY wrote:Im not sure what you mean when you say "Are the gears the same for the intake and Exhaust"

Are the intake and exhaust cam gears interchangable, or are they supposed to be specific to each cam?

Ohh, the 2.4 cam gears are Interchangeable.. I labeled mine and put them back where they were stock anyways..

306 TQ
Friday, October 06, 2006 7:49 AM
Gotcha, mine are new, and even though things seem like they're lined up, im getting the popocorn under hard acceleration below 2k and a rough idle, below 2k RPM's the car feels dead, it as sorta like this before the cams, but more apparent than from before. The idle is really bad, when im sitting a light she'll lope pretty good. Doubt the Cams i have can create a lope unless there's something wrong somewhere (they're both custom ground .375@200)

Friday, October 06, 2006 11:26 AM
^^^Im getting the same thing.. Well mine will be tore apart for the 5th time in less than 320 miles Gonna make sure things are good with the timing AGAIN.

306 TQ
Friday, October 06, 2006 4:03 PM
im wondering if its the cams themselves, and maybe the computer? What year is that motor that you picked up?

Friday, October 06, 2006 4:51 PM
I have a 99+motor, meaning its the second half of the 99 year motor without egr.. I dont know mann I never expected to have little troubles like this with the motor.. grrr

306 TQ
Saturday, October 07, 2006 10:07 PM
mine's a 98, so i have EGR, must not be that atleast. What plugs and gap are you running? Im using the 41-942's at .060 gap.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 11:19 AM
I have the AC delco gapped at .045... I had them at 60 a while ago, with no difference.. My manual says .050 though.

306 TQ
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:51 PM
hmm, makes me wonder what the problem is then. I got a used stock TB off ebay, i'll see if that helps out any.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search