Cobalt 2.2 Eco in a cav? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt 2.2 Eco in a cav?
Friday, January 26, 2007 8:56 PM
Whats the difference in the engines? Can you take an eco out of a cav and put in an eco from a cobalt (both 2.2 Ecotec). Any issues with this?

Re: Cobalt 2.2 Eco in a cav?
Friday, January 26, 2007 8:57 PM
also will the 5-speed Getrag form an 04 cav bolt up to the cobalt motor?

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:04 PM
the getrags are different as far as mounts. I'm doing an Eco swap in my 2002 Z24 with a 2.2 from a Saturn Ion, and I'll be buying a 2003-2005 j-body trans to bolt to it. the 2.2 from the Cobalt should match up to the j-body transmission.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:15 PM
ok the only thing I will use is preaty much the long block. block, crank, rods, pistons, head ect.. I would swap the motor mounts, transmission, run it off cav ECM, cable TB, fuel system, ect.. I don't think there will be problems but I want to knwo for sure, my biggest concern was bell housing bolt pattern though.

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:19 PM
you have to watch the year of the motor , GM changed the crank position wheel

went from a 48x to 56x , or something like that

other issue is the fuel system they use a return less fuel system , so you gotta use 1 from a , also the tb is drive by wire , and im not sure if the intake manifold is the same tb bolt pattern or not , i dont think it is

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:44 PM
[quote=97trd(???™)]you have to watch the year of the motor , GM changed the crank position wheel

went from a 48x to 56x , or something like that

other issue is the fuel system they use a return less fuel system , so you gotta use 1 from a , also the tb is drive by wire , and im not sure if the intake manifold is the same tb bolt pattern or not , i dont think it is

Eric, does the Ion motor I have have the right crank position sensor?

and Darkstars, he's saying you need the intake mani (if the bolt pattern is different), TB, and fuel rail/lines from the j-body. the injectors are the same, as well as the harness for them.

Desert Tuners

Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:37 PM
I'm looking at picking up a 2.2 Cobalt crate motor for cheap, brand new, only run/tested at the factory. I'm gonna throw forged internals in it, as well as a partriot head and some cams. So basically i need to make sure a cavy trans will bolt up and a cavi cylinder head will bolt up, cavi oil pan (with lower mount) and Cavi upper motor mount will bolt up, everythign else should be swapable, so long as the head will swap there shouldn't be any issues with fuel system, electronics, manifolds, tb, ect..

if I get the number form the sticker on the timing chain side of the cylinder head will anyone know how I can look up the timing issues with the crank?

Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:50 PM
doesnt the cobalt 2.2 also have all electric everything which will need to be swapped also...correct me if im wrong

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/maxxracer23/ModdinArtSignature.gif[/IMG]

Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:33 PM
wtf is "all electric everything"?

Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:52 PM
He's only using the short block... only issues with be the crank sensor + bellhousing + mounts... the heads are the same to my knowledge with the exception that the LSJ has a cam position sender.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:42 PM
umm i have a short block from a ION, that i'm working on swapping into my 96 z24.. the oil pan is actaully different also and has no place to bolt the motor mount bracket onto just an FYI to watch out for.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:57 PM
i didnt know he was just using the block sorry and i was meaning its all electric steering, t/b, ect. but since he is just using the block then no worries for that..and yes to my knowledge owen it does have the cam position sender

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/maxxracer23/ModdinArtSignature.gif[/IMG]

Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:55 AM
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:56 AM
Any new info on this? If just using only the cobalt 2.2 motor, and everything else from the cav, will it work? If there are any problems, what would the work arounds be for them if any?
Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:01 AM
RyZ96 wrote:umm i have a short block from a ION, that i'm working on swapping into my 96 z24.. the oil pan is actaully different also and has no place to bolt the motor mount bracket onto just an FYI to watch out for.

what year Ion?

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 10:33 AM
all ECO's use the same bolt pattern for the belhousing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it dont matter WTF it came out of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heads are interchangeable

it was the later(newest) eco's that switched the crank sensor

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:06 AM
RyZ96 wrote:umm i have a short block from a ION, that i'm working on swapping into my 96 z24.. the oil pan is actaully different also and has no place to bolt the motor mount bracket onto just an FYI to watch out for.

could you go into better detail on this? what oil pan is different, and what bracket are you using?

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:05 PM
alright sorry i didn't see this thread again until Freq Z sent me a pm.. i don't know what year the motor is from but here is what i'm talking about
Just the oil pan

The motor mount bracket and oil pan. As you can see there is no place to bolt the bracket to the bottom of the pan like it is supposed to be on Jbodies..

i really haven't looked into why it is different but it is. I know on a 2007 2.4 ecotec in the ION that there is a mount right under the radiator that jbodies do not have so i suppose thats one reason why the other mounts are different

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:09 PM
I think that mount is supposed to go on the other side... underneath the timing chain cover... correct?

I can't tell what's what. LOL
I haven't seen the Eco upside down before.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:14 PM

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:18 PM
lol the timing chain cover isn't on that motor... the other side is where the trans mounts to, its currently attatched to engine stand

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:20 PM
ahhh... lol

what year motor is that? and it's the 2.2, right?

Desert Tuners

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:27 PM
i don't know the year, but yes it is a 2.2..i didn't even notice the difference until i tried bolting that mount on .. i'm still looking for a new oil pan to put on there too

basicly just look at the bottom of your oil pan and see if there is 2 threaded holes on that side on the pan. if there is you should be alright.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:44 PM
thanks for all the help man. I'll take a look at my motor in the morning, and then I'll pass on the info to you... see if it'll help you out.

Desert Tuners

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:02 AM
so this motor will work for his car lol? kinda off topic. does that motor tag tell you everything about the motor and year and what not?

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:20 AM
there is no motor tag on my motor, i bought it off a guy that worked in detail at a dealership, it was a core but for some reason they never sent it out and they sold it to him. he was going to swap it into his sl2 but decided it was to much work to do...he didn't give me details about the motor like year or mileage, or the fact that he took it apart once and half assed it back together with a bent rod (i was pissed about that)..

but the motor should work as long as you have the right oil pan

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search