cam sync - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cam sync
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:31 PM
Has anyone ever gotten the Saturn MSD cam sync to work on an ld9? I remember reading posts talking about it but no one ever said if it actually worked.

Re: cam sync
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:50 PM
You have a cam sync sensor on an LD9, dont need one.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:54 PM
Sorry should have been more specific...I plan on running HO cams.

Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:00 AM
Anyone?

Thursday, February 01, 2007 5:39 PM
i have thought about this option myself. i have not gotten around to actually trying it. IIRC, it replaces the signal that the cam sync sensor sends, so just try it before you make any other changes. if you can get it to go without a CEL, then do the rest of your work without worry. the only problem i can see is that the device needs a spark plug wire to wrap a signal wire around to determine if that cylinder is under compression, and a 2.4 does have spark plug wires. maybe just the boot would work though...

http://www.msdignition.com/sci_16.htm

ZZZZZZZ
Thursday, February 01, 2007 8:02 PM
Good idea dong it before ai make the mods, I guess i'll have to try it...im goin to the junk yard next week to do the 2200 coil conversion anyway so that issue is not a problem.

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:19 AM
I havent not tried this yet either.. every time I get some green for mods some crap comes up and I get screwed. In theory it gives the ecu the signal wave it needs. this would also be great for HO swaps, seeing as that is the big obstical.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:55 PM
any updates on this, and which plug would this be goin around, #4 like saturns?

Thursday, March 01, 2007 3:38 PM
this mod is meant to be used with something like the 2.2 coil conversion, and yes its wire 4 just like saturns.

I'm broke broke.. my car has sat for 6 months without even moving under its own power.. so yeah I haven't tried this yet lol. Hopefully I won't have to sell the Z. I don't think I will but its gonna be a while before I have some loose green for mods.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:09 PM
I need to get massive body work done on my truck but hopefully tax returns will take care of that. Then my next project will be to try this. Im thinking a month or so but its gonna happen.

Friday, March 02, 2007 8:29 AM
damn i wanna run my other lo cam for the intake since im tearin apart the motor today, and jrobz im in the same boat, my z has been sittin for 9-10 months just started it with the new 2.4 and almost finished 5speed swap and the motor makes a sweet tick tick tick im hopin for collapsed lifter, cuz im gonna be pissed if i was sold a motor with a spun rod bearing

Friday, March 02, 2007 8:34 AM
From what Protomec says, he said there is no reason to do the cam pad on the HO cams, since the cam sync is available.....

I plan on trying this soon, maybe in the next couple weeks

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 02, 2007 8:38 AM
yeah he said he wouldnt do it again he feels he loses too much time and money doing it so thats why im lookin to this

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:42 PM
Back from the dead...

So who all has used this instead of modding the cam itself for the cps pad? Does it take care of the cel? Does anyone know the correct part number?

Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:51 PM
Thanks to our terrible resolution of the 7X crank reluctor it might actually work.

By the way, there was a comment above from 2+ years ago that said this senses when #4 is in compression...no it doesn't. It senses high voltage magnetic field decay events(spark events on cyl #4 & #1), It measures the amount of time for coil 1 to fire twice, divides by two, then uses this amount of time for the dwell to hold it's signal output high between spark events.

ie: ____[spark]_|--------|_______[spark]_|--------|_______....repeat

Also, there will never be a CEL without the CPS hooked up, our ECU's will simply just run batch fueling where it fires the injector pairs like it does coil pairs. Our ECU's doesn't really need it. A CPS is actually only needed for COP which we don't run. Our ECU's only use the CPS for early valve event fueling where it identifies the location of the valves and then the ECU fires each cylinders injector separately right before and slightly during early opening of that cylinders intake valves. That's all fine and good, however is only effective at low engine speeds. During high RPM operations the CPS is useless since the injectors duty cycle is rather high.

You 'can' actually run 'SFI-persay' without a CPS sensor, but requires an ECU that can do and understand closed loop EAE-walls fueling or a similar form of the same concept. This would obviously then not be called 'SFI' but would still be 1 event 1 injector firing style fueling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 05, 2010 5:23 AM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:23 PM
I never did install it, its still sitting under my bed. I probably wont at this point.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:57 PM
Zs Z wrote:I never did install it, its still sitting under my bed. I probably wont at this point.

Send it my way Or atleast give me the part number pleeease

Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:05 PM
i believe it is msd pn 8914

Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:43 PM
Hmm, Im having a hard time finding that. Think msd 8916 would work? Its another universal cam sync, not sure the difference between the two.

Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:46 PM
hmmmmm its possible

Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:28 PM
icemike89 wrote:Hmm, Im having a hard time finding that. Think msd 8916 would work? Its another universal cam sync, not sure the difference between the two.

8914 = Saturn Cam Sync
8916 = Universal Cam Sync

It should work the same, except with a few extra wires to communicate with the MSD DIS-2...I don't know for sure though. The Saturn cam sync definitely works though as it has been used by others in the past.

I have no signiture

Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:01 PM
LOL...cam sync for a DIS. That's about the same as buying dog food to feed fish.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, February 08, 2010 7:30 AM
Im looking for an option to take care of the cps with ho cams, and do eventualy plan to upgrade my 2200 stuff to all msd. Coils, interface modules, and a dis-2 so incorporating the cam sync wont be a problem. Just want to know if the 8916 will work the same as Ive found them easier and much cheaper.

Oh btw, Ive seen fish eat dog food hahahaha

Monday, February 08, 2010 10:26 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:LOL...cam sync for a DIS. That's about the same as buying dog food to feed fish.

I'm not sure why you hate the idea so much Joshua. It cannot replace a physical Hall effect sensor, I agree. Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I would like you to explain though, how it doesn't detect when cylinder #4 is under compression when there is a clear dielectric difference between the air in the compression stroke to the air during the exhaust stroke. It's true that both plugs fire (i.e. waste spark), but the cylinder under compression receives the majority of the energy from the drop of the secondary coil due to the higher electrical resistance from this dielectric differences between cylinders #1 and #4 during a single spark event. If they just took the cylinder #1 firing events and divided by two like you mentioned earlier, there would be no way to determine the correct firing order for the injectors without input from the crank reluctor as well, making this product complete garbage. If you read the hyperlinks I posted above, MSD even states that the wire needs to be wrapped around the #4 spark plug wire and that the cam sync generator will detect when the #4 cylinder is under compression.

Therefore, even though you can run batch fire just fine, I don't see why there is a problem running a cam sync generator for the low RPM SFI the Jbody employs. As a EE I'm not seeing where you're coming from, or maybe I'm just not visualizing the circuit correctly.

I have no signiture
Monday, February 08, 2010 10:41 AM
Mike, just get rid of the CEL with HP. It's that simple, or am I missing something?(very possible) lol

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search