Ecotec Cam Swap... stage 1, 2, or 3? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Cam Swap... stage 1, 2, or 3?
Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:36 AM
this coming spring im thinking about doing a cam swap in my 2.2 L ecotec as well as some hptuners, etc. I was looking at the cams offerend by j.body performance and was deciding between the stages 1, 2, or 3. Stage 3 has the desired hp jump im looking for but at what costs will this have on my engine. Is it dangerous to the car to put in stage 3 cams without changing any stock internals? should cams be done with other internals swaps in mind at the same time??? any input would be quite helpful as i am not fully informed as to what the pros/cons of cams are

Re: Ecotec Cam Swap... stage 1, 2, or 3?
Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:55 AM
friends dont let friends buy from JBP...

go to levelzero and get a set of their tri-flow cams... same grind as the JBP stage 3s and a bunch cheaper.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:32 AM
Or come to me and get the Comp Cams Never had anyone regret getting them.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:57 AM
Owen wrote:friends dont let friends buy from JBP...

go to levelzero and get a set of their tri-flow cams... same grind as the JBP stage 3s and a bunch cheaper.

Owen actually it's "Friends don't let Friends buy from RSM"... 100% Track record for screwing people over.

STUBBORN people don't buy from JBP.

Catch you on AIM

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:03 PM
the stock cam can handle up to 500 hp if you want to increase air volume upgrade the intake manifold and trottle body.
Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:31 PM
Um. Please define "handle"....

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:36 PM
Oooo a new newbie tool

So what if a stock cam can handle it... changing the cam will increase power even with a stock everything else will increase power.

And Chris... JBP's markup is stupid... you might get your parts, but you're gonna take it in the bumhole.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:59 PM
Ok seeing as how I have a biased opinion I'm not going to recommend you save youself some money and buy the cams from me but I will give you a quick and dirty on the profiles.

Stage 1. Very mild upgrade, mostly intended for people looking to add a little power for when they are car pooling.

Stage 2. Balls out racing cam. Lopes at idle, low end sacrifices, top end pulls like a monster into the limiter. Depending on the ecu programming you have may set codes (pretty good chance, although you could fix this with hpt).

Stage 3. AKA TriFlows. Very good gains across the power band. Very streetable, and great for road racing or drag racing set ups. Slightly less top end gains then the stage 2's, but the increase in the mid range makes up for this.

All of these profiles are a drop in affair. No need to worry about your internals unless you have other large power modifications made. All work with the stock valve train.

Personally I'd run with the TriFlows. I've had more cams in my car then I can remember and by far they were the best over all. I liked the stage twos becasue they were big, nasty and loped ... but the drivability isn't there unless you are willing to do alot of extra tuning (depending on what ecu flash you have). I've installed quite a few sets of the TriFlows and every single customer has been happy from the minute they got in the car. Oh an I can have a set shipped out to you with tomorrows shipments if you want
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search