Code: PO300 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Code: PO300
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:26 PM
Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

My car started running really bad. When it starts, it sounds like a Harley Motorcycle.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what to check for?

I checked and replaced the Spark Plugs. They were really black.

I've checked:

Ignition Module
The springs in the spark boot
Injectors (had them tested)

Anything else I may have to check?

I haven't driven my car for over a week and I need it up and running like yesterday. So any help would be appreciated.

Kerwin Maldonado
CarDomain.com

Re: Code: PO300
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:24 PM
your in the wrong forum

maintenance is the section you need to be in

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:34 PM
Check your hose going to your MAP sensor, if it is cracked, dry rotted or has holes that could be part of the problem.

Chris
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:09 PM
Kind of stupid question but did you check the spark plugs yet?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:09 PM
or when you changed the plugs "if" you have you didnt tighten the coils down securley.......it runs like crapola ..........misfires!!!
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 2:18 PM
check and make sure that your getting spark to all 4 cyl. and if you are try looking towards your fuel like the fuel filter being plugged up or pumps going out.

2002 cavy with 5spd ecotec(RIP)
1991 eagle talon tsi awd 5spd(sold)
1999 audi a4 1.8l turbo 5spd
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/779567
Tuesday, November 06, 2007 8:53 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]your in the wrong forum

maintenance is the section you need to be in

Sorry! I was in a hurry, had to leave for work.

Yes I did check the plugs and they all have sparks.

I'll check the fuel filter and pump. But the car does start so that tells me that it is pumping and the fuel filter is OK, only I can't drive it.

Kerwin Maldonado
CarDomain.com
Wednesday, November 07, 2007 6:13 PM
I had the same problem, accompanied by a ton of black smoke at startup (a sure sign of running rich). I knew less about cars then, and had a dealership fix it. they told me it was the fuel pressure regulator and charged me out the ass to fix it. check the vaccuum line going to your FPR (on the end of the fuel rail). make sure it's not leaking or anything...

LD9 F23 FTW!!
Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:24 PM
I am going to assume that this in a 2.4....so going by past cases where I've had misfires on 2.4's that came into my shop, If the plugs, module,and injectors are fine, start looking at the coil housing. (big white plastic thing) Remove the IDI module and then remove the coils and ign module and inspect the housing. I've found that moisture or carbon tracking can develop in the bottom of the housing, or they can fail internally. The bottom of said housing contains the leads that pretty much act as plug wires from the coils to the plug boots. These can crossfire into each other or fail completely. You may see spark at all the plug boots, but crossfiring in the housing will make it fire at the wrong time, hence, causing misfire. I have changed alot of these for P0300 misfire codes. If plugs are black, you're getting enough fuel, look towards ignition for sure. If you do need a housing, they are available aftermarket at any big parts store, sell for around 60 bucks. Hell, if you know anybody else with the same motor, just swap the complete IDI to be sure.
Friday, November 09, 2007 6:06 PM
I may be mistaken, but don't black plugs usually mean you're getting too much fuel?
Friday, November 09, 2007 6:24 PM
Check ALL your grounds as well.

The way I would go about it is to use a spark Tester (not a spark plug) to test all the spark. It has a gap equivalent to 0.090 (as compared to the 30 or 40 thousandths you normally gap them at) which loads the ignition at the load it would normally run at. (Keep in mind, its alot harder to ionize compressed air on the compression stroke when the plug is about to fire since is more dense in the gap. Therefore it takes more energy to ionize the gap then would be present outside the Combustion chamber and a standard spark plug will not full test the system and may not reveal failure) You will need a spare set of plug wires to do this on the 2.4 but it can be done.

After you've gone through and run spark tests AGAIN. Go get a set of noid lights or find someone who has them and make sure the injectors are firing propely.

Also try spraying under the IDI with water and see what happens. Gets worse or better?

Check ALL the grounds. I had a horrible (indrivable) misfire in my 2200 and after throwing a @!#$ ton of money at the problem I discovered one of the ground straps came loose. Took 10 mins to fix and zero dollars.

Electrical problems really are rediculously easy when you go about finding them with the proper tools and equipment and dont just guess where the problem might be.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards

Friday, November 09, 2007 7:28 PM
i agree with the coils/coil housing ...if you can find someone with another 2.4 you can just swap the whole idi over ..wont take 5 minutes..and see how it runs..that should tell u if thats the problem or not

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:23 AM
I tried swapping the IDI from my LS. Did not work. Sparkes are ok, checked and tested. Will check grounds and fuel regulator. I'll check hoses as well. Oh and yes I do have the 2.4.

Kerwin Maldonado
CarDomain.com
Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:17 PM
po300 is a random missfire replace your plugs clean your fuels system

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE, i have already died once and im still here so lets just leave it on the track
Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:11 PM
YOU NEED TO CHECK COMPRESSION

that would of been my first check. if you poped a ringland, or your head gaskets going the cars not going to fire. not to mention thats the most deadly of all the problems. basiclly means the motors coming out.

its the scariest but best place to start you need to find out

BTW what color are your plugs?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Monday, November 12, 2007 9:51 AM
On 2 of my cylinders, I have no compression.

So I diceded to go another route. Getting another engine.

And while it is out, I'm going to find a manual tranny to do a swap. Might as well knock it all out in one shot.

Kerwin Maldonado
CarDomain.com
Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:52 PM
sorry to hear man.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, November 16, 2007 5:45 AM
buzz kill, what caused the leak?
Thursday, November 22, 2007 8:11 PM
Don't know yet. But when it comes out we will open it up to find out.

Kerwin Maldonado
CarDomain.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search