HO intake manifold on a 2.4L - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HO intake manifold on a 2.4L
Monday, November 19, 2007 6:41 AM
Hey guys looking for a simple how to to convert a 2.3L HO manifold to fit the 2.4L. I know that the runners need to be change/port matched to the intake side of the head. Seems easy enough just gonna use a gasket and match up the ports with a grinder. I am more asking this question for the TB, can i run the bigger HO TB? Do i need to change around the IAC and the map sensor? I remember reading up on it a year or so ago but forget the small things about the swap. What about the throttle cables and what not? I remember if you change to the 2.4TB you need to drill a hole so it can bolt up to the HO manny. I rather keep the bigger TB though so what do you need to change over to keep that one on the manny? And one last thing what about the vacuum lines anything i should know about them? Thanks allot guys please help me

Re: HO intake manifold on a 2.4L
Monday, November 19, 2007 9:53 AM
all you need to do is slot the holes on the manifold so the bolt holes will line up then get an adaptor flange from Chris fontana sorry if i spelled it wrong. think there is a group buy on the flanges.

you can just put a 2.3l T/B on all the sensors from the 2.3 will plug right in.

2.4 tb 52mm

2.3 tb 56mm

Monday, November 19, 2007 10:25 AM
~Black~FIRE~ wrote:Hey guys looking for a simple how to to convert a 2.3L HO manifold to fit the 2.4L. I know that the runners need to be change/port matched to the intake side of the head. Seems easy enough just gonna use a gasket and match up the ports with a grinder.

nope, its not that easy. the ports are nowhere near the same shape, once you get your stock manifold off you'll see exactly why. the HO manifold has HUGE oval ports and the 2.4 head has 'B' shaped much smaller ports. to do it the RIGHT way, you either need to do one of 2 things, either cut the stock HO manifold flange off an weld on a 2.4 flange (that needs to be custom made or chop one of an $800 venom intake) or add material into the HO manifold ports to kind of 'mimic' the 2.4 head ports.

or you can try and find a fontana 2.3 ho manifold to 2.4 head adapter flange that would work just fine. but if i were you, if you dont have cams or a ported 2.4 head and a full exhuast i wouldnt even bother with the ho manifold. theres been dyno proof that it doesnt help and acctually HURTS performance on a stock engine.

AND for those of you saying 'wtf who finally dynoed one' talk to mastin...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 19, 2007 10:26 AM

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:33 AM
^^ results coming shortly.
Just gotta scan in my sheet and write up a nice post.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Monday, November 19, 2007 2:20 PM
Ya i have had to stock manny off lots of times. And i know there B shape. I will be going boost soon and dont want the plasic bs thats on there now. And who said i didnt have bolt ons.

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:24 PM
the*

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:25 PM
hey im kind of confused...everyone says put the 2.3 Tb on yer 2.4 mani and i tried to do and the bolt holes dont line up for a proper seal and i had to put back the 2.4 TB
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:33 PM
yes it will if its a 2.3l t/b it will line up but most of the time the throttle lever hits the manifold keeping from lining up. think you need a t/b spacer to make it work to hold the t/b away from the manifold.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 8:22 PM
Hopefully you are a Quad4forums member...

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3252

theres your write up...

As for the TB... its not listed there, but the best TB to use is the 95 LO TB (56mm) off a 1995 Z24 cavalier, you get to keep your cruise control if you grab the cruise cable with it the TB from the donor car, otherwise, your Stock cruise cable will not fit in to any of the 2.3 throttle brackets....

some more Q and A on the subject can be found in the following posts...

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11595
http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12452

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search