Low budget upgrade - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Low budget upgrade
Monday, December 17, 2007 9:25 AM
Im in the process in taking out my motor and possibly rebuilding it but i want to start low and build a low budget performance monster! my engine is a 2.2 with 225K miles on her, wat are the key ingredients in buildin a lil screamer like the famous 2.2?

Re: Low budget upgrade
Monday, December 17, 2007 10:19 AM
What 2.2 are you working with ecotec or 2200? Either way cheap, fast, and reliable just don't go together. Sounds like you want it cheap and fast in which case it will not be reliable. And if you don't have the money to blow on quality parts you probably don't have the money to fix stuff that breaks either. How much whp are you looking for anyway?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:31 AM
with 225,000 miles I highly dought its an eco

Monday, December 17, 2007 10:36 AM
Darkstars wrote:with 225,000 miles I highly dought its an eco
That's what I was thinking.

Port the head, have your cam reground, take .020" off the block deck, take .020" off the head deck, get shorter aftermarket pushrods, enjoy. Intake and full exhaust wouldn't hurt either.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, December 17, 2007 11:34 AM
Quote:

build a low budget performance monster! my engine is a 2.2

ain't gonna happen

low budget with the OHV and 225,000miles on the clock is mutually exclusive.

you're going to have to do a full rebuild at the minimum.. for good work its at LEAST $1000 for machine work and thats a low ball estimate.

if you do a medium budget, maybe $5k I could see you getting decent performance out of it but.. how low is low?

Monday, December 17, 2007 11:35 AM
Darkstars wrote:with 225,000 miles I highly dought its an eco

I thought the same thing myself. It was more of an attempt to teach the newbie OP to give us as much info as posible when trying to help him.

Monday, December 17, 2007 11:46 AM
haha...my mistake, my cav is a 1995 2.2...well i want it low budget so i can afford other stuff for my car but if i have to pull more then i expected then sure but my goal was spend a grand on da whole engine, a complete tear down and upgrade it wit a mild cam and redo the heads since tax return is around the corner!!!! but sry bout that guys
Monday, December 17, 2007 12:00 PM
power and low budget dont mix man...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:28 PM
You know you would prolly be better off just swapping in an ecotec.

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:52 PM
Lonnie T. E wrote:haha...my mistake, my cav is a 1995 2.2...well i want it low budget so i can afford other stuff for my car but if i have to pull more then i expected then sure but my goal was spend a grand on da whole engine, a complete tear down and upgrade it wit a mild cam and redo the heads since tax return is around the corner!!!! but sry bout that guys

what you want isn't going to happen with only $1000 sorry

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search